Win a trip to Hawaii
Sign up for FREE and enter for a chance to win!
Find the pineapple and win!
Tip: This Kauai attraction is a remote valley located along Kaua‘i’s opulent Nāpali Coast.
Save on Hawaii Activities
Luau, whale watching and more
May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii
“May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii Nei.” This popular phrase in the islands prevents anyone from forgetting this special day. It was Don Blanding, a writer and poet, who first suggested that a holiday should be dedicated to the beautiful Hawaiian tradition of making and wearing lei. But it was Grace Tower Warren, also a writer, who came up with the idea that the holiday should coincide with May Day. And so since the first Lei Day on May 1, 1928, Hawaii has continued the annual celebration to this very day.
Celebrate May Day on Oahu
Oahu hosts the state’s largest May Day event. No matter what day of the week May 1 falls on, the Lei Day Celebration takes place at Queen Kapiolani Park in Waikiki. The event features live music, a lei contest exhibit, hula performances, demonstrations, craft and food vendors, and more. This event is free and open to the public. To check out our photos from previous years’ celebrations, click here.
Each year, the Lei Queen and her court reside over the festivities. Lei Queen are selected based on their lei making skills, hula proficiency, and Hawaiian language fluency.
Expect to see the most beautiful lei in the world at the annual Lei Day lei competition held and displayed at the park. Also expect excellent live music by some of Hawaiʻi’s top performers. See the 2018 line up below.
May Day Waikiki
A great new May Day event is being held on Waikiki Beach, fronting The Royal Hawaiian: A Luxury Collection Resort and the Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort. May Day Waikiki, now in its 5th year, will take place on Tuesday, May 1, 2018, with free canoe rides and a program and live music concert beginning at 4 p.m. with a helicopter drop and an honoring of the Waikiki Beachboys. The event is free to the public and the @MayDayWaikiki Facebook page will be broadcasting live on the day of the event! Visit @MayDayWaikiki on Facebook for more information.
May Day Waikiki celebrates the colorful history and traditions of Waikiki, including surfing, canoe rides and Hawaiian music, hula and culture.
May Day on the Great Lawn
This year, Hawaii’s Finest Clothing will celebrate May Day by presenting a performance by Robert Cazimero and his Hālau Nā Kamalei o Līlīlehua on the Great Lawn of the Bishop Museum in beautiful Kalihi. Cazimero’s guests will include four additional hālau hula, Keauhou, Jerry Santos, Kapena and Ei Nei. Along with entertainment, there will be food, cocktails, local vendors and lei stands. A portion of proceeds will go towards Groove Child Charities and the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum.
Celebrate May Day on Maui
The Lei Day Heritage Festival at Hale Hōʻikeʻike at the Bailey House (formerly The Bailey House Museum) at 2375A Main St, Wailuku on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. This is a free community event featuring a lei contest, food (at cost) and live music.
Celebrate May Day on Hawaii Island
On the Big Island, the annual Lei Day Festival is usually held in Hilo at the Kalakaua Park, 150 Kalakaua St., Hilo from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. There are live lei making demonstrations at the historic site in downtown Hilo.
Celebrate May Day on Kauai
On Kauai, the annual Lei Day Festival has moved from the Kauai Museum to the Kauai Marriott. The event takes place on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Enter your lei into the contest, learn to make a lei, or win a lei to take home. There will also be food vendors and live music.
Due to the heavy rains and flooding in April 2018, May Day by the Bay, a cultural celebration in beautiful Hanalei, has been cancelled.
Make Your Own Haku Lei
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recent most reacted articles
Kaanapali Beach Hotel Recognized With Conde Nast Traveler’s 2018 Readers’ Choice Award “#1 In Top Hotels In Hawaii”
On October 9, 2018, Condé Nast Traveler announced the results…
Travel Discounts & Specials
Get discounts on Hawaii hotels, vacation packages and more from Hawaii.com, right in your email inbox — it's FREE!
- Rental Cars
- NEW Limited Time Promotion: Extend your stay at Royal Kona Resort with a 5th night free. Book by July 15th.
- Kilauea Lighthouse, Hanalei Bay, Napali Coast to the north and Wailua River, and Waimea Canyon heading south. Book now from $205/night!
- Regularly voted and commonly known as "Maui's Best Luau," Old Lahaina Luau hula and feast captivate audiences time and time again! BOOK NOW from $125.
- Island-hopping 6-night adventure, Maui and Kauai, from $939
- Grand Naniloa Hotel: Embrace Hawaiian culture. Get lost in the melody. Authentic hula experiences every Monday evening.
- $10 off a Waikiki sunset sail (was $49, now $39). Book now!
- Free samples with every Bubble Shack Hawaii order!
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Get 20% Off your vacation rental at Castle Vacation Rentals
- BEST LUAU in Maui - Old Lahaina Luau - BOOK NOW!
- Sample heirloom sugar cane rum at Kō Hana Distillery - $25
- "Best of Hanalei” Luau every Wednesday - Discounts Offered
- Experience aloha chic at the Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
- Experience the real Hawaii in small group tours, from $59
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Explore the island