- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Whale Watching on Maui
If you’re visiting Maui any time in winter, there’s a decent chance you could spot a whale before even reaching the island.
Because the channels surrounding Maui house so many Humpback whales, it isn’t uncommon to spot a whale from out your airplane window. If you don’t end up seeing a misty spout before even touching down, rest assured that the whale watching in Maui is arguably the best in Hawaii, and the question isn’t if you’ll see whales—but how many different times?
The peak season for whale watching on Maui is January, February, and March, though whale season in Maui officially runs from December 15-May 15. Early in the season, the first sightings are usually of males who have made the swim from Alaska, awaiting the females who usually show up between Thanksgiving and Christmas. For the next few months, the sea is alive with thunderous splashes, spouts, pec slaps, and breaches, as the 50-ton mammals will mate, give birth, and frolic here in these waters.
To truly go whale watching on Maui, however, and experience the wintertime magic, you need to book a whale watching tour to see the Humpbacks up close. Boats, by law, cannot approach a Humpback whale any closer than 100 yards, but oftentimes the curious whales will swim up and “mug” the boat. Watch as they rhythmically slap their fluke, or erupt in a sudden breach—using their massive peduncle muscle to thrust their body in the air. When it happens without warning, time literally seems to stop and no one can utter a word, as such an epic display of force can turn an entire crowd silent.
To book a whale watching tour in Maui, look for boats that leave from Lahaina, Ma‘alaea, or Kā‘anapali Beach. The catamarans in Kā‘anapali are convenient if you’re staying in the resort, but because they load directly from the sand require agility and mobility. Larger, more stable, diesel boats depart from Lahaina Harbor, and morning hours are usually best before the tradewinds pick up. In Ma‘alaea, oftentimes the wind is howling by early afternoon, which is when most of the whale watching tours depart from Ma‘alaea Harbor.
A little insider secret, however, is that any morning snorkeling charter will also stop to watch whales, so travelers pressed for time on the island can book a charter to Molokini and still get a morning whale watch. Granted, the amount of time you’ll spend with the whales will be less than on a whale watch, since whale watching tours are custom geared towards following and learning about whales.
Finally, since whale watching in Maui is based around nature, no two whale watching trips or excursions will ever be the same. If you have a whale watch that’s just mediocre, and don’t experience much action, the best thing to do is just try again—tomorrow’s a brand new day.
Whale Watching Directory
Friendly Charters – Maui Snorkeling Adventures and SNUBA
Snorkeling and SNUBA on the Lani Kai The Lani Kai…
See recent volcanic activity on Hawaii Island or the tallest sea cliffs in the world of Molokai.
Safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c vehicle & ferry passage from Maui!
Adventure in a sub under the sea and get a kid’s ride free!
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
- Join us for Ruth’s Fall Crush: our tasty filet with shrimp plus a glass of cabernet for $50, only at our Lahaina, Wailea, Mauna Lani and Kauai Restaurants thru 10/27/19.
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- Are you an Amazing Maui Babe? Shop now for the best tanning, sunscreen & much more at Maui Babe! Get free shipping on order over $30.
- Join Atlantis Submarines 10ft below the ocean surface & discover the action happening in Hawaii’s waters! Click HERE to book your undersea adventure!
- Visiting Hawaii is easy in a rental car from Alamo®. Minivans, economy cars, SUV's and more, Alamo has the rental car for your visit to Hawaii.
- Royal Lahaina Golfer’s Paradise Pkg w/4 rounds from $339/nt
- Best Whalewatch tour on Maui. Book and save 10%
- Spice up Date Night: Music, Comedy & Cocktails at Blue Note
- Save up to 25% on your Kauai Vacation Condo
- Experience Kauai’s Best Ziplining, ATV’s, and Bass Fishing!
- RIDE Horseback, Double Zipline & more-starting at just $119!
- Toa Luau - Hawaii's Most Authentic Luau - Starting at $98
- Pearl Harbor + Oahu Island tour from $114.99 - BOOK NOW!
- Book online & save $10 on Smith Family Garden Luau, Kauai!
- Try North Shore Oahu's famous shrimp plates from $14!