Water Activities on the Big Island
For visitors wanting to get their feet wet, it’s difficult to surpass the spectacular diversity of Big Island water activities available. Boasting more miles of coastline than all other Hawaiian islands, the calm, clear waters of Kona are a marine paradise. Protected from winds by majestic Mauna Loa, it’s the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful waters of Hawaii.
Thrilling to Luxurious – Snorkeling on Hawaii Island
Kealakekua Bay is one of the best snorkeling sites in the state of Hawaii. Whether seeking an adventurous, white-knuckle ride on the Zodiac pontoon, or a lavish, pampering experience aboard the island’s newest catamaran, the Hula Kai (which also offers free stand-up paddle and delicious breakfast and lunch), you won’t want to miss this protected marine sanctuary. Disney’s animated film, “Finding Nemo,” was inspired by Kealakekua’s beauty. Read more
Manta Encounters – Ballerinas of the Ocean
The Kona Coast is the best place to spot these gentle giants. At night, spotlights attract mantas that feed off plankton illuminated by the light. With wingspans of up to 20 feet or more, these intimidating, but friendly creatures glide within inches of scuba divers and snorkelers. Tours leave just prior to sunset.
Surfing: The Sport of Kings
Once reserved exclusively for royalty, surfing is now one of the most popular Big Island water sports. Visitors can experience the rush of catching a wave by taking a surfing lesson with experience instructors. From beginner to advanced you can experience first-hand why surfing is the “Sport of Kings.”
Kayaking in Paradise
Kayaks were a main form of transportation for early Hawaiians, and today have become a popular Big Island water activity. From a six-person canoe, to a single seater, you can rent a kayak, or join a group for a lesson and guided tour of the Kohala/Kona Coast, or Hilo Bay.
If you’re seeking a more laid-back Big Island Water Activity, an historical sunset dinner cruise maybe be right up your alley. Body Glove cruises offers a relaxing 3 hour dinner cruise from Kailua pier, to Captain Cook Monument that includes live music, delicious food and cocktails, and an historical narration of the Kona Coastline. Bring your camera because the sunsets are one-of-a-kind, and after a couple of mai tais, you may get lucky and see the famous “green-flash.”
Featured Water Activities
Guides narrate throughout the ride, explaining the history, legends, and facts of life in the valley
The menu includes a deli style turkey sandwich, chips and cookies with Historical narration and music.
The best platform for observing the Hawaiian Spinner Dolphin.
Specialized tour designed for guests looking to get off the beaten path and head off to unique areas of the Park
Teach your keiki the joy of finger-licking poi, dancing hula to the “Hukilau” or being wowed by the fire dance
Luau features a 22 dish buffet, open bar, arts & crafts demonstrations
Experience the fun of gliding on a Segway PT (personal transporter)
Anelakai Adventures provides Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe, Stand Up Paddle Board, and Kayak Adventures
- Royal Kona’s Voyagers of the Pacific Luau Special for in-house guests from $72 per person
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special at Royal Kona Resort - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Big Island 9-Line Zipline Tour & SAVE 10% with 7 day advance booking!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Incredible customer service and the savings to match. Save on Everyday Low Rates. We’ll Pick you Up®
- Save 15% on your intimate wedding at Paradise Bay Resort
- Royal Lahaina Resort’s Myths of Maui Luau Special: $98pp
- 20% off our Best Available Rates - Shoreline Waikiki Hotel!
- From $135 - Dive Oahu's wrecks, caves and reefs
- Stay at Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger on the Big Island!
- Experience Kauai’s longest zipline for $139
- Enjoy views of Diamond Head at Waikiki Shore by Outrigger!
- Save $40 Daily, when you Pre-purchase at Royal Kona Resort
- Eggs 'n Things ' pancake mix and syrups available online!
- It?s EPIC & SUITE: save $104 for your Jr Courtyard Suite pkg