- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Activities on the Big Island
For visitors wanting to get their feet wet, it’s difficult to surpass the spectacular diversity of Big Island water activities available. Boasting more miles of coastline than all other Hawaiian islands, the calm, clear waters of Kona are a marine paradise. Protected from winds by majestic Mauna Loa, it’s the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful waters of Hawaii.
Thrilling to Luxurious – Snorkeling on Hawaii Island
Kealakekua Bay is one of the best snorkeling sites in the state of Hawaii. Whether seeking an adventurous, white-knuckle ride on the Zodiac pontoon, or a lavish, pampering experience aboard the island’s newest catamaran, the Hula Kai (which also offers free stand-up paddle and delicious breakfast and lunch), you won’t want to miss this protected marine sanctuary. Disney’s animated film, “Finding Nemo,” was inspired by Kealakekua’s beauty. Read more
Manta Encounters – Ballerinas of the Ocean
The Kona Coast is the best place to spot these gentle giants. At night, spotlights attract mantas that feed off plankton illuminated by the light. With wingspans of up to 20 feet or more, these intimidating, but friendly creatures glide within inches of scuba divers and snorkelers. Tours leave just prior to sunset.
Surfing: The Sport of Kings
Once reserved exclusively for royalty, surfing is now one of the most popular Big Island water sports. Visitors can experience the rush of catching a wave by taking a surfing lesson with experience instructors. From beginner to advanced you can experience first-hand why surfing is the “Sport of Kings.”
Kayaking in Paradise
Kayaks were a main form of transportation for early Hawaiians, and today have become a popular Big Island water activity. From a six-person canoe, to a single seater, you can rent a kayak, or join a group for a lesson and guided tour of the Kohala/Kona Coast, or Hilo Bay.
If you’re seeking a more laid-back Big Island Water Activity, an historical sunset dinner cruise maybe be right up your alley. Body Glove cruises offers a relaxing 3 hour dinner cruise from Kailua pier, to Captain Cook Monument that includes live music, delicious food and cocktails, and an historical narration of the Kona Coastline. Bring your camera because the sunsets are one-of-a-kind, and after a couple of mai tais, you may get lucky and see the famous “green-flash.”
Featured Water Activities
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Fly over mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, and the Pacific Ocean.
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
Atlantis Submarine – Kona
Atlantis Submarines has been sharing the magnificence of Hawaii’s undersea…
Manta Ray Snorkel at the Big Island
Hawaii’s #1 marine encounter! Immerse yourself in the waters of…
- Flumin' Kohala has exclusive access to the Kohala Ditch Company's century old irrigation system. It's a ride of a lifetime! 808-933-HAWI
- SAVE 10% on Kohala Canopy Zipline tours Friday-Saturday and experience Hawaii Island’s only tree-to-tree adventure! Promo Code WEEKENDER
- Island Helicopters offers unique tours around this tropical paradise; including one of Hawaii’s most elite tours, the Jurassic Falls Landing Adventure
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- "Best of Hanalei” Luau every Wednesday - Discounts Offered
- Kauai Photo Tours: Kauai’s Top-Rated Land Tour!
- Enjoy Hawaiian Music, Dance & Food @Maui’s Huaka‘i Luau
- From $149 - Friday night Waikiki fireworks dinner cruise
- Tour Tropical Cacao Farm & Taste Tree-to-Bar Chocolate!
- Annie’s Burgers Voted BEST BURGER 2011-2017 by WHT readers
- Swim with dolphins & sea turtles for $146 with code HIDEAL!
- Sunset Sail with appetizers + comp champagne for $89!
- Hawaiian Music, Rock, Pop, Reggae & Comedy at Blue Note
- Kauai Sea Tours takes you to remote beaches others cannot!