- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Activities on the Big Island
For visitors wanting to get their feet wet, it’s difficult to surpass the spectacular diversity of Big Island water activities available. Boasting more miles of coastline than all other Hawaiian islands, the calm, clear waters of Kona are a marine paradise. Protected from winds by majestic Mauna Loa, it’s the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful waters of Hawaii.
Thrilling to Luxurious – Snorkeling on Hawaii Island
Kealakekua Bay is one of the best snorkeling sites in the state of Hawaii. Whether seeking an adventurous, white-knuckle ride on the Zodiac pontoon, or a lavish, pampering experience aboard the island’s newest catamaran, the Hula Kai (which also offers free stand-up paddle and delicious breakfast and lunch), you won’t want to miss this protected marine sanctuary. Disney’s animated film, “Finding Nemo,” was inspired by Kealakekua’s beauty. Read more
Manta Encounters – Ballerinas of the Ocean
The Kona Coast is the best place to spot these gentle giants. At night, spotlights attract mantas that feed off plankton illuminated by the light. With wingspans of up to 20 feet or more, these intimidating, but friendly creatures glide within inches of scuba divers and snorkelers. Tours leave just prior to sunset.
Surfing: The Sport of Kings
Once reserved exclusively for royalty, surfing is now one of the most popular Big Island water sports. Visitors can experience the rush of catching a wave by taking a surfing lesson with experience instructors. From beginner to advanced you can experience first-hand why surfing is the “Sport of Kings.”
Kayaking in Paradise
Kayaks were a main form of transportation for early Hawaiians, and today have become a popular Big Island water activity. From a six-person canoe, to a single seater, you can rent a kayak, or join a group for a lesson and guided tour of the Kohala/Kona Coast, or Hilo Bay.
If you’re seeking a more laid-back Big Island Water Activity, an historical sunset dinner cruise maybe be right up your alley. Body Glove cruises offers a relaxing 3 hour dinner cruise from Kailua pier, to Captain Cook Monument that includes live music, delicious food and cocktails, and an historical narration of the Kona Coastline. Bring your camera because the sunsets are one-of-a-kind, and after a couple of mai tais, you may get lucky and see the famous “green-flash.”
Featured Water Activities
Spreading the aloha spirit, from farm to cup. Buy Greenwell Farms 100% Kona coffee today.
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Breathtaking views on Hawaii''s #1 zipline experience. SAVE w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
Atlantis Submarine – Kona
Atlantis Submarines has been sharing the magnificence of Hawaii’s undersea…
Manta Ray Snorkel at the Big Island
Hawaii’s #1 marine encounter! Immerse yourself in the waters of…
- Trading Places Maui is an alternative timeshare exchange program serving all Hawaiian Islands! Trade local and see the difference.
- Save 9% off your condo vacation rental when you book directly with Kona Coast Vacations - BOOK NOW!
- Island Helicopters offers unique tours around this tropical paradise; including one of Hawaii’s most elite tours, the Jurassic Falls Landing Adventure
- From $79 - Every December - April, thousands of Humpback whales migrate to the warm waters of Hawaii. See whales in Kona
- Grand Naniloa Resort: Embrace Hawaiian culture. Get lost in the melody. Authentic hula experiences every Monday evening.
- Day trip from Maui to Lanai by ferry! $30 each way (adults)
- Two Beach Chairs and One Umbrella $25 Deal
- Visit Maui Ocean Center! Passes start at $29.95 per adult
- Taste love in a bottle: Visit the Ko Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum Distillery - $25
- $10 off your Kauai adventure with Nā Pali Riders
- Private powerboat charters in Kona - $750 per hour
- Adventure in a sub under the sea and get a kid’s ride free!
- Find unique & local-made items at our Ku’ono Waiwai store
- Whale Watching while Paddling Wa`a (Outrigger Canoe)
- WAIKIKI ESCAPE Save up to 35% when you stay 3 or more nights