Water Activities on the Big Island
For visitors wanting to get their feet wet, it’s difficult to surpass the spectacular diversity of Big Island water activities available. Boasting more miles of coastline than all other Hawaiian islands, the calm, clear waters of Kona are a marine paradise. Protected from winds by majestic Mauna Loa, it’s the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful waters of Hawaii.
Thrilling to Luxurious – Snorkeling on Hawaii Island
Kealakekua Bay is one of the best snorkeling sites in the state of Hawaii. Whether seeking an adventurous, white-knuckle ride on the Zodiac pontoon, or a lavish, pampering experience aboard the island’s newest catamaran, the Hula Kai (which also offers free stand-up paddle and delicious breakfast and lunch), you won’t want to miss this protected marine sanctuary. Disney’s animated film, “Finding Nemo,” was inspired by Kealakekua’s beauty. Read more
Manta Encounters – Ballerinas of the Ocean
The Kona Coast is the best place to spot these gentle giants. At night, spotlights attract mantas that feed off plankton illuminated by the light. With wingspans of up to 20 feet or more, these intimidating, but friendly creatures glide within inches of scuba divers and snorkelers. Tours leave just prior to sunset.
Surfing: The Sport of Kings
Once reserved exclusively for royalty, surfing is now one of the most popular Big Island water sports. Visitors can experience the rush of catching a wave by taking a surfing lesson with experience instructors. From beginner to advanced you can experience first-hand why surfing is the “Sport of Kings.”
Kayaking in Paradise
Kayaks were a main form of transportation for early Hawaiians, and today have become a popular Big Island water activity. From a six-person canoe, to a single seater, you can rent a kayak, or join a group for a lesson and guided tour of the Kohala/Kona Coast, or Hilo Bay.
If you’re seeking a more laid-back Big Island Water Activity, an historical sunset dinner cruise maybe be right up your alley. Body Glove cruises offers a relaxing 3 hour dinner cruise from Kailua pier, to Captain Cook Monument that includes live music, delicious food and cocktails, and an historical narration of the Kona Coastline. Bring your camera because the sunsets are one-of-a-kind, and after a couple of mai tais, you may get lucky and see the famous “green-flash.”
Featured Water Activities
Umauma Falls Zipline: SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking! Code: HAW10
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Breathtaking views on Hawaii''s #1 zipline experience. SAVE w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,059
- Save 20% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Kona Resort
- Pearl Harbor + Oahu self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island from $329.99. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
- Best Price Guarantee, Low Price Assurance, No Booking Fees & Weekly Cruise Deals. Book Now!
- Air & room packages starting from $1,250. See Oahu and the Big Island!
- 10% OFF Kauai's Rice Mill & Taro Farm Tour w/ code KCB2017
- Vacation in Waikiki from only $219/night.
- RideTheRim unforgettable ATV adventure tour of Waipio Valley $169!
- 10% OFF Kauai horseback riding! Click here & call to book!
- Jack’s Diving Locker (Kona) - Specialty Dives for ONLY $175!
- Save 25%! Pre-purchase breakfast at Royal Lahaina Resort
- Get 20% Off your vacation rental at Castle Vacation Rentals
- Popular Pearl Harbors from $89.99 - BOOK NOW!
- Royal Lahaina Resort’s Myths of Maui Luau Special: $98pp
- Paradise Eco-Adventures - Maui Zipline Adventure from $49.95