Water Activities on the Big Island
For visitors wanting to get their feet wet, it’s difficult to surpass the spectacular diversity of Big Island water activities available. Boasting more miles of coastline than all other Hawaiian islands, the calm, clear waters of Kona are a marine paradise. Protected from winds by majestic Mauna Loa, it’s the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful waters of Hawaii.
Thrilling to Luxurious – Snorkeling on Hawaii Island
Kealakekua Bay is one of the best snorkeling sites in the state of Hawaii. Whether seeking an adventurous, white-knuckle ride on the Zodiac pontoon, or a lavish, pampering experience aboard the island’s newest catamaran, the Hula Kai (which also offers free stand-up paddle and delicious breakfast and lunch), you won’t want to miss this protected marine sanctuary. Disney’s animated film, “Finding Nemo,” was inspired by Kealakekua’s beauty. Read more
Manta Encounters – Ballerinas of the Ocean
The Kona Coast is the best place to spot these gentle giants. At night, spotlights attract mantas that feed off plankton illuminated by the light. With wingspans of up to 20 feet or more, these intimidating, but friendly creatures glide within inches of scuba divers and snorkelers. Tours leave just prior to sunset.
Surfing: The Sport of Kings
Once reserved exclusively for royalty, surfing is now one of the most popular Big Island water sports. Visitors can experience the rush of catching a wave by taking a surfing lesson with experience instructors. From beginner to advanced you can experience first-hand why surfing is the “Sport of Kings.”
Kayaking in Paradise
Kayaks were a main form of transportation for early Hawaiians, and today have become a popular Big Island water activity. From a six-person canoe, to a single seater, you can rent a kayak, or join a group for a lesson and guided tour of the Kohala/Kona Coast, or Hilo Bay.
If you’re seeking a more laid-back Big Island Water Activity, an historical sunset dinner cruise maybe be right up your alley. Body Glove cruises offers a relaxing 3 hour dinner cruise from Kailua pier, to Captain Cook Monument that includes live music, delicious food and cocktails, and an historical narration of the Kona Coastline. Bring your camera because the sunsets are one-of-a-kind, and after a couple of mai tais, you may get lucky and see the famous “green-flash.”
Featured Water Activities
Crew shares generations of knowledge in an old Hawaiian way, “story telling”. Paddle, sail or just kick back and relax
Experience the fun of gliding on a Segway PT (personal transporter)
Secluded snorkel sites along the Kohala Coast, you're provided with all you need for a spectacular snorkeling experience
Take your need for speed to new heights on this thrilling Helicopter, zipline and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park adventure
Luau features a 22 dish buffet, open bar, arts & crafts demonstrations
The menu includes a deli style turkey sandwich, chips and cookies with Historical narration and music.
Let our crew pamper you with unlimited cocktails and mouth watering pupus
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – Honolulu, Kahului, Lihue and Kona!
- Join the KonaRed® e-newsletter to get the latest specials and updates about the Hawaiian Coffeeberry® superfruit!
- Journey through former sacred Hawaiian royal land. Ride your ATV to the top of historic Waipio Valley: $159!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- Surf and sun inspired Hawaiian bath and body products, Bungalow Glow's Premium Organic soy candles, and more from Bubble Shack Hawaii
- Pirates spotted sailing off Waikiki - climb aboard from $42!
- Max's Fried Chicken, made from our 70 year old recipe
- Be in the heart of Waikiki from $149/night!
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Explore the island
- Na Pali ocean raft adventure tours: Book online & save $10!
- From $59 - Turtles Guaranteed in Waikiki
- 20% off our Best Available Rates - Shoreline Waikiki Hotel!
- Royal Lahaina Resort’s Myths of Maui Luau Special: $90pp
- Vacation in Waikiki from only $219/night.