Water Activities on the Big Island
For visitors wanting to get their feet wet, it’s difficult to surpass the spectacular diversity of Big Island water activities available. Boasting more miles of coastline than all other Hawaiian islands, the calm, clear waters of Kona are a marine paradise. Protected from winds by majestic Mauna Loa, it’s the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful waters of Hawaii.
Thrilling to Luxurious – Snorkeling on Hawaii Island
Kealakekua Bay is one of the best snorkeling sites in the state of Hawaii. Whether seeking an adventurous, white-knuckle ride on the Zodiac pontoon, or a lavish, pampering experience aboard the island’s newest catamaran, the Hula Kai (which also offers free stand-up paddle and delicious breakfast and lunch), you won’t want to miss this protected marine sanctuary. Disney’s animated film, “Finding Nemo,” was inspired by Kealakekua’s beauty. Read more
Manta Encounters – Ballerinas of the Ocean
The Kona Coast is the best place to spot these gentle giants. At night, spotlights attract mantas that feed off plankton illuminated by the light. With wingspans of up to 20 feet or more, these intimidating, but friendly creatures glide within inches of scuba divers and snorkelers. Tours leave just prior to sunset.
Surfing: The Sport of Kings
Once reserved exclusively for royalty, surfing is now one of the most popular Big Island water sports. Visitors can experience the rush of catching a wave by taking a surfing lesson with experience instructors. From beginner to advanced you can experience first-hand why surfing is the “Sport of Kings.”
Kayaking in Paradise
Kayaks were a main form of transportation for early Hawaiians, and today have become a popular Big Island water activity. From a six-person canoe, to a single seater, you can rent a kayak, or join a group for a lesson and guided tour of the Kohala/Kona Coast, or Hilo Bay.
If you’re seeking a more laid-back Big Island Water Activity, an historical sunset dinner cruise maybe be right up your alley. Body Glove cruises offers a relaxing 3 hour dinner cruise from Kailua pier, to Captain Cook Monument that includes live music, delicious food and cocktails, and an historical narration of the Kona Coastline. Bring your camera because the sunsets are one-of-a-kind, and after a couple of mai tais, you may get lucky and see the famous “green-flash.”
Featured Water Activities
3 1/2 hours of snorkeling and “real” sailing along the beautiful Kona coast
Exciting rafting adventures & snorkeling tours to Kealakekua bay on the Big Island of Hawaii
Let our crew pamper you with unlimited cocktails and mouth watering pupus
Journey to the beautiful, historical Kealakekua Bay for snorkeling
Umauma Falls Zipline: SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking! Code: HAW10
This exciting tour visits the world’s most active volcano, Mt. Kilauea, and spends the day at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Anelakai Adventures provides Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe, Stand Up Paddle Board, and Kayak Adventures
- Stay awhile, relax & enjoy your 4th night at the luxurious Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalow for free! Offer includes daily buffet breakfast for 2.
- Save $40 Daily! Pre-purchase breakfast, car, and parking at Royal Kona Resort
- From $967 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers, Daily Breakfast & Taxes
- Join the KonaRed® e-newsletter to get the latest specials and updates about the Hawaiian Coffeeberry® superfruit!
- Breathtaking views of waterfalls & the Pacific Ocean await you on Hawaii's #1 zipline experience. SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
- The Equus Hotel: Waikiki's favorite boutique hotel - Save 10%
- Room specials from 33% off at Airport Honolulu Hotel
- Old-school, fresh Italian pasta prepared daily at Il Lupino
- Swim with dolphins & fish in the wild. Save $10: code HIDEAL
- Rent with Enterprise® for low car rental rates in Hawaii.
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Pirates spotted sailing off Waikiki - climb aboard from $42!
- Stay at centrally located Ala Moana Hotel from $179/night!
- "Best of Hanalei” Luau every Wednesday - Discounts Offered
- Save 10% on Kohala Zipline tours before 11:00 a.m.!