- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Activities on the Big Island
For visitors wanting to get their feet wet, it’s difficult to surpass the spectacular diversity of Big Island water activities available. Boasting more miles of coastline than all other Hawaiian islands, the calm, clear waters of Kona are a marine paradise. Protected from winds by majestic Mauna Loa, it’s the perfect location to enjoy the beautiful waters of Hawaii.
Thrilling to Luxurious – Snorkeling on Hawaii Island
Kealakekua Bay is one of the best snorkeling sites in the state of Hawaii. Whether seeking an adventurous, white-knuckle ride on the Zodiac pontoon, or a lavish, pampering experience aboard the island’s newest catamaran, the Hula Kai (which also offers free stand-up paddle and delicious breakfast and lunch), you won’t want to miss this protected marine sanctuary. Disney’s animated film, “Finding Nemo,” was inspired by Kealakekua’s beauty. Read more
Manta Encounters – Ballerinas of the Ocean
The Kona Coast is the best place to spot these gentle giants. At night, spotlights attract mantas that feed off plankton illuminated by the light. With wingspans of up to 20 feet or more, these intimidating, but friendly creatures glide within inches of scuba divers and snorkelers. Tours leave just prior to sunset.
Surfing: The Sport of Kings
Once reserved exclusively for royalty, surfing is now one of the most popular Big Island water sports. Visitors can experience the rush of catching a wave by taking a surfing lesson with experience instructors. From beginner to advanced you can experience first-hand why surfing is the “Sport of Kings.”
Kayaking in Paradise
Kayaks were a main form of transportation for early Hawaiians, and today have become a popular Big Island water activity. From a six-person canoe, to a single seater, you can rent a kayak, or join a group for a lesson and guided tour of the Kohala/Kona Coast, or Hilo Bay.
If you’re seeking a more laid-back Big Island Water Activity, an historical sunset dinner cruise maybe be right up your alley. Body Glove cruises offers a relaxing 3 hour dinner cruise from Kailua pier, to Captain Cook Monument that includes live music, delicious food and cocktails, and an historical narration of the Kona Coastline. Bring your camera because the sunsets are one-of-a-kind, and after a couple of mai tais, you may get lucky and see the famous “green-flash.”
Featured Water Activities
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Fly over mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, and the Pacific Ocean.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Atlantis Submarine – Kona
Atlantis Submarines has been sharing the magnificence of Hawaii’s undersea…
Manta Ray Snorkel at the Big Island
Hawaii’s #1 marine encounter! Immerse yourself in the waters of…
- Big Island & Maui 6-night multi-island adventure, starting from $1,099
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- Kona Coast Vacation rentals starting from $89/night! Rentals range in size from studios to 5 bedroom homes, economy to luxury. BOOK NOW!
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,559
- Only with Island Helicopters can visitors land at Manawaiopuna Falls and feel the awesome power of the waterfall made famous in Jurassic Park.
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Voted Best Of Maui, Waterfall Hike & Chocolate Tour!
- Save 9% off your condo vacation rental when you book direct!
- Fish for tilapia, grass carp, catfish & prawns at Ali’i Agricultural Farms
- Hawaiian Music, Rock, Pop, Reggae & Comedy at Blue Note
- Tropical Hawaiian Tours: Oahu Circle Island Tour - $100/person
- Kids 2-11 swim with dolphins for $114 with code HIDEAL!
- UFO Parasail Kona - Book online & SAVE 10% on Parasailing!
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military
- Kaku Sushi: Made-to-Order All-You-Can-Eat Sushi Buffet!