Dining on the Big Island
Star chefs and the dedication to the local farm-to-table movement have really changed the culinary landscape of the Big Island in the last 10 years. This new movement has put it on the gastronomical map with both casual tourists and foodies alike. Professional chef and local celebrity, Sam Choy, has his newest restaurant Kai Lanai in Kailua-Kona. The resorts on the Kohala coast have also dedicated themselves to serving modern Hawaiian haute cuisine. The restaurant isn’t just for the gourmand. Reasonably priced organic fare and restaurants that serve “local food” can still be found all around the island.
Teshima’s Restaurant in Kealakekua is a local landmark and has been serving “local-style” Japanese food since the 1920s. For the sweet stuff, Big Island Candies has some of the best chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies in the state and Punaluʻu Bake Shop has got you covered for the decadent Portuguese sweetbread. There are even festivals celebrating locally grown coffee and chocolate held throughout the year. The Big Island caters to all price ranges and tastes.
Kona Delights with Artistic Gastronomical...
Kona, Hawaiʻi attracts culinary entrepreneurs from around the world who converge upon paradise to incorporate the freshest, locally sourced products into their dishes. The abundance of fresh fruits, fish and locally grown beef are a chef’s dream, making no shortage of delightful gastronomical experiences for foodies. Here are a few not-to-miss dining opportunities to experience…
Best New Restaurants on the Big Island
Hawaii Island is a cornucopia of dining culture. Every year,…
- Choose from over 300 Hawaiian island tours; relive history at Pearl Harbor, snorkle beautiful reefs, experience luaus, visit ancient volcanos & more!
- Visit the USS Arizona Memorial and take a 120-mile tour of Oahu Island from $129.99. Tours from Maui, Kauai and Big Island start at $429.99.
- Big Island & Maui 6-night multi-island adventure, starting from $939
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Enjoy views of Diamond Head at Waikiki Shore by Outrigger!
- From $149/night: Local hospitality at OHANA Waikiki East.
- From $129 - Turtles Guaranteed in Waikiki
- Room specials from 33% off at Airport Honolulu Hotel
- Kauai’s Best Night Life- Enjoy a Night Shooting Adventure
- Ko Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum from heirloom sugar cane - $35
- Visitor tip: Try Matsumoto's Shave Ice with ice cream!
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Relax at Kohala Coast Vacation Rentals by Outrigger!
- From $159 - Dive Oahu's wrecks, caves and reefs