Dining on the Big Island
Star chefs and the dedication to the local farm-to-table movement have really changed the culinary landscape of the Big Island in the last 10 years. This new movement has put it on the gastronomical map with both casual tourists and foodies alike. Professional chef and local celebrity, Sam Choy, has his newest restaurant Kai Lanai in Kailua-Kona. The resorts on the Kohala coast have also dedicated themselves to serving modern Hawaiian haute cuisine. The restaurant isn’t just for the gourmand. Reasonably priced organic fare and restaurants that serve “local food” can still be found all around the island.
Teshima’s Restaurant in Kealakekua is a local landmark and has been serving “local-style” Japanese food since the 1920s. For the sweet stuff, Big Island Candies has some of the best chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies in the state and Punaluʻu Bake Shop has got you covered for the decadent Portuguese sweetbread. There are even festivals celebrating locally grown coffee and chocolate held throughout the year. The Big Island caters to all price ranges and tastes.
Best New Restaurants on the Big Island
Hawaii Island is a cornucopia of dining culture. Every year, new restaurants pop up to the delight of locals and tourists alike. Bite by bite, food bon vivants can visit the island’s freshest and newest eateries. Here are a few favorite best new restaurants on the Big Island who have opened their doors within the…
Kona Delights with Artistic Gastronomical...
Kona, Hawaiʻi attracts culinary entrepreneurs from around the world who…
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Oahu, Maui and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,879
- Save 15% on Shaka Guide’s Island Tour Bundles. Use Code Hawaiidotcom15 and book on www.shakaguide.com.
- Get up to 6 GPS audio tours for $29.99 with Shaka Guide! Tours available on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Big Island.
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Visitor tip: Try Matsumoto's Shave Ice with ice cream!
- From $89 - West Oahu Scuba with Hawaii Nautical
- From $1,259 - Oahu, Kona & Hilo 6-Nt Island-Hop Adventure
- Maui Babe® lotions love your skin! Get yours today!
- Shaka Guide: Choose from 21 Socially-Distanced Audio Tours
- 10% OFF Surfing or SUP Lessons and Equipment Rentals.
- $829 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- Stop by Rainbow Drive-in for Hawaii’s comfort food, the plate lunch.
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau