Things To Do on Molokai
Hawaiʻi is packed with things to do, and Molokaʻi is no exception. Even though the “Friendly Isle” sees a fraction of visitors when compared to the larger islands, there are just as many things to do on Molokaʻi as anywhere else in Hawaiʻi.
Beachgoers here are spoiled for choice when it comes to hitting the beach, as Molokaʻi is graced with dozens of beaches that are often completely empty. You can leave the only string of footprints on a long, white sand shore, and then sit and watch a fiery sunset from a private oceanfront perch.
When it comes to snorkeling, Molokaʻi has something that no other island can offer—a fringing reef that spans 30 miles with dozens of spots to explore. Unlike the other Hawaiian Islands where you can snorkel or dive off the beach, only a handful of Molokaʻi beaches are protected enough for casual snorkeling. Instead, charter boats visit the massive reef off Molokaʻi’s southern coast, where sand channels, pinnacles, and deep blue holes offer endless opportunities for exploring underwater with no other boats in sight. In winter you’ll find pods of Humpback whales that breach and splash offshore, and the deep sea fishing is some of the best you’ll find in all of Hawaiʻi. Read more
On land, one of the most popular things to do on Molokaʻi is visit Kalaupapa, the isolated settlement for leprosy patients in the 19 th and 20 th centuries. Accessible by air, hiking trail, or mule, Kalaupapa is a tropical time warp that’s laced with history and tragedy, and as fascinating, inspiring, and scenic a spot as anywhere else on the globe.
Hiking is another Molokaʻi activity that’s wildly underrated, and the cultural hike up Halawa Valley is one of the state’s best tours. Up in the cloud forests of the Pepeopa‘e Bog, a muddy network of hiking trails weaves through the misty Molokaʻi Forest Reserve, and the rugged trail to Pelekunu overlook offers views looking down over 4,000 feet toward a valley that looks exactly the same now as it did when voyaging Polynesians first discovered and settled the islands.
The number of things to do on Molokaʻi definitely doesn’t stop there, as there are kayak tours of the southern coast and stand up paddling tours. There are farms where you can buy local papaya or learn to crack macadamias. You can decorate a coconut and ship it home, or send it as a gift to a friend. You can also find live hula and Hawaiian music at Hotel Molokai each night.
Mostly, however, the best thing to do on Molokaʻi is simply kick back, breathe, and relax, and practice the endangered art of simply enjoying the present moment.
Listen to the sound of palm trees rustling overhead in the breeze or watch the tide pull back from the reef just to wash back later that day. It’s talking story with island locals and enjoying a filling plate lunch or maybe even volunteering to restore an ancient fishpond. One thing you definitely won’t do on Molokai is sit in traffic or stress, and it’s an island that time has fortuitously forgotten—which is just the way everyone likes it.
Farm to bottle. Small batch, single variety, hand crafted Hawaiian Agricole Rum. Visit the Farm and Take the Tour!
A Tale Like No Other: the Story of Kalaupapa
Molokaʻi is the only island in Hawaiʻi that’s comprised of…
Halawa Valley: a Culturally Rich Valley on Molokai’s East End
There are hundreds of valleys in the Hawaiian Islands—arguably even…
- Locally owned and operated, Island Helicopters has nearly 40 years in the tourism industry on the Garden Island of Kauai.
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car® offers locations throughout Hawaii in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaneohe, and more. Low rates, and award winning service. Book now!
- Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour – SAVE $500 per couple on all 2020 departures! 12 days starting at $2,099!
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- From $1,439 - Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-Nts. w/Air
- From $89- West Oahu Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- Plant. Harvest. Smile. Repeat. @ Waiahole Nursery & Garden
- Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii: SAVE 10% when booking 10 days in advance
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates
- From $1019 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Maui Package w/Air & Hotels
- Kauai Photo Tours: Kauai’s Top-Rated Land Tour!
- 13-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour from $1,899! SAVE $350pp
- Toa Luau - Hawaii's Most Authentic Luau - Starting at $98
- Combine your zipline and waterfall experience and SAVE 25%!