Golf on Lanai
Often it’s quality, rather than quantity, that can truly make something great, and such is the case with golfing on Lanai, where despite being the island’s only 18-hole course, the Jack Nicklaus Signature Manele Golf Course draws visitors from across the globe.
When compared to Oahu, which has nearly 40 courses, or the 14 on neighboring Maui, you would think that Lanai would barely register as a blip on Hawaii’s golf radar. On the contrary, Lanai for a time was one of Hawaii’s best destinations for golf—particularly when the 18-hole Experience at Koele was still in operation. If you walked the docks of Lahaina Harbor on Maui at 6:30am, the morning ferry between Maui and Lanai would be packed with day-tripping golfers. There were specials where visitors could play 36 holes—sometimes for the price of 18—and tick off two different world-class courses in a single day on Lanai. Read more
The Jack Nicklaus Signature Manele Golf Course
Today, however, the Koele course remains closed, and while long-term plans involve re-opening the course along with the neighboring resort, there’s no definitive date for when the course will open for business.
You can still visit the Manele Golf Course, however, for the chance to tee off over the Pacific Ocean towards the green of the famous 12th hole, where Bill Gates was married, where whales spout offshore, and where the fairway is replaced by the crashing whitewater of waves thundering on rocks. The resort has spared no expense in crafting this oceanfront, elite-level course, from the GPS-enabled carts to the food at the 19th hole, Views.
Lanai’s Free 9-Hole Cavendish Course
The only place you can golf on Lanai that isn’t at the resort, is the public, 9-hole—and completely free—Cavendish course in Lanai City. This course was constructed in the days of Dole, when the plantation managed the town, and despite the fact it’s been 25 years since Dole moved off of Lanai, this play-in-your-slippers, bring-your-own-six-pack, course has managed to survive. There’s no need for tee times—since there isn’t any clubhouse—just drive up 5th Avenue, turn left towards the course, and prepare to walk the nine holes.
Golf Courses on Lanai
- Rates/Green Fee Key:
- $ under $55
- $$ $55-$99
- $$$ $100-$149
- $$$$ $150-$199
- $$$$$ over $200
Four Seasons Lanai – Manele Golf Course $$$$$
Cavendish Golf Course (Free)
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
- Save up to 25%: Join the Emerald Club® so you can bypass the counter, choose your own car and get on your way fast
- Top Hawaii Cruise Deals: 14 Night Princess Cruise from $1,399
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- ISLAND FEET is committed to fixing your foot problems - Plantar fasciitis, Heel Spurs, Bunions, Neuromas, Arch Pain and more. SHOP FOOTWEAR NOW!
- Order your Wedding Leis at HawaiiFlowerLei.com. Fresh, custom made Wedding Leis hand delivered or shipped in our exclusive lei cooler, Nationwide!
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates
- Use code DIVE15 for $15 OFF a 2 Tank SCUBA Dive.
- Escape to Maui from only $135/night!
- West Maui Cycles bike rentals as low as $8.50 per day!
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Explore the island
- Kayak the famed Kohala Ditch at Flumin' Kohala..808-933-HAWI
- Stay at Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger on the Big Island!
- Enjoy an award-winning Sunday Champagne Brunch on Maui!
- Summit Maunakea, the highest point in the Pacific, from $196
- Royal Kona Experience Pkg w/Luau, cruise, breakfast! $325/nt