Things To Do on Lanai
The island of Lanai—with its towering sea cliffs, lavish resorts, and string of white sand beaches—is a tropical paradox of luxury and leisure that’s often misunderstood.
Yes—98% of Lanai is owned by Larry Ellison—but that doesn’t make it a private island that’s completely closed off to visitors. Instead this island just nine miles west of the town of Lahaina, on Maui, is an outdoor escape for hiking, surfing, diving, fishing and relaxing.
Golf is one of Lanai’s top things to do, with the Jack Nicklaus designed, Challenge at Manele offering sweeping views of the coast, and the 9-hole Cavendish being Hawaiʻi’s only completely free course.
Off-road exploring is another one of the best things to do on Lanai, where dirt roads lead to white sand beaches like Lopa and Polihua, and ancient historical sights like Kaunolu village are only a short drive away. It was here where chiefs like Kahekili would practice lele kawa—the ancient sport of diving off cliffs towards the turquoise waters below. Read more
As for the best free things to do on Lanai, exploring the island on your own two feet is a great way to appreciate the landscape, whether it’s hiking the Munro or Koloiki Ridge Trail in the misty, forested uplands, or exploring the Kapiha’a Fisherman’s Trail that departs from Hulopo’e Bay. Near Shipwreck Beach, on the northeastern coast, you can scour the shoreline for small white seashells that have washed ashore in the current, or search for the hidden petroglyphs that are scrawled on nearby rocks.
When driving between the mountains and beach, be sure to stop in Lanai City to explore the restaurants and shops, or peruse the collection of ancient artifacts at the Lanai Culture and Heritage Center.
Or, if you’d simply prefer to lounge by the pool of the Four Seasons Manele Bay, where massage tables and private cabanas look out towards the shoreline below, sometimes the best thing to do on Lanai is simply nothing at all, but listen to waves as they crash on the sand, and wind in the palm trees above.
Umauma Falls Zipline: SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking! Code: HAW10
Ocean-side lawns, tropical gardens or banquet rooms available. Up to 400 guests.
- ISLAND FEET is committed to fixing your foot problems - Plantar fasciitis, Heel Spurs, Bunions, Neuromas, Arch Pain and more. SHOP FOOTWEAR NOW!
- Day trip from Maui to Lanai on the ferry! Explore the island, golf, snorkel and more! Book your activities and ferry trip! $30 each way (adults)
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- Take a guided tour of Lanai from the comfort of an air-conditioned 4x4 safari-style vehicle! Half Day tour ($180.96) includes ferry ride to Lanai.
- Island Feet specializes in orthotic footwear and is committed to fixing your foot problems. FREE foot analysis at their Maui location - SHOP NOW!
- Reserve the Royal Lahaina’s Myths of Maui Luau Show: $115 pp
- Anaina Hou Mini Golf & Gardens - not your typical mini golf!
- From $149 - Friday night Waikiki fireworks dinner cruise
- Sample heirloom sugar cane rum at Ko Hana Distillery - $25
- Kaanapali Ocean Inn breakfast, car, parking pkg from $279/nt
- Sunset Sail with appetizers + comp champagne for $89!
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Kona Coast Vacation rentals from $89/night - BOOK NOW!
- Find exclusive Hawaii charms at PANDORA in Ala Moana Center.
- Tour Oahu's most awe-inspiring landmarks. From $53+
More Activities You Might Like
Catching the Ferry from Maui to Lanai
Even though Lāna‘i has bed and breakfasts, hotels, and five-star…