Things To Do on Lanai
The island of Lanai—with its towering sea cliffs, lavish resorts, and string of white sand beaches—is a tropical paradox of luxury and leisure that’s often misunderstood.
Yes—98% of Lanai is owned by Larry Ellison—but that doesn’t make it a private island that’s completely closed off to visitors. Instead this island just nine miles west of the town of Lahaina, on Maui, is an outdoor escape for hiking, surfing, diving, fishing and relaxing.
Golf is one of Lanai’s top things to do, with the Jack Nicklaus designed, Challenge at Manele offering sweeping views of the coast, and the 9-hole Cavendish being Hawaiʻi’s only completely free course.
Off-road exploring is another one of the best things to do on Lanai, where dirt roads lead to white sand beaches like Lopa and Polihua, and ancient historical sights like Kaunolu village are only a short drive away. It was here where chiefs like Kahekili would practice lele kawa—the ancient sport of diving off cliffs towards the turquoise waters below. Read more
As for the best free things to do on Lanai, exploring the island on your own two feet is a great way to appreciate the landscape, whether it’s hiking the Munro or Koloiki Ridge Trail in the misty, forested uplands, or exploring the Kapiha’a Fisherman’s Trail that departs from Hulopo’e Bay. Near Shipwreck Beach, on the northeastern coast, you can scour the shoreline for small white seashells that have washed ashore in the current, or search for the hidden petroglyphs that are scrawled on nearby rocks.
When driving between the mountains and beach, be sure to stop in Lanai City to explore the restaurants and shops, or peruse the collection of ancient artifacts at the Lanai Culture and Heritage Center.
Or, if you’d simply prefer to lounge by the pool of the Four Seasons Manele Bay, where massage tables and private cabanas look out towards the shoreline below, sometimes the best thing to do on Lanai is simply nothing at all, but listen to waves as they crash on the sand, and wind in the palm trees above.
Matsumoto’s Shave Ice on the North Shore has the best tropical flavors and toppings.
Swim with dolphins & fish in the wild. Save $10: code HIDEAL
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Visiting Hawaii is easy in a rental car from Alamo®. Minivans, economy cars, SUV's and more, Alamo has the rental car for your visit to Hawaii.
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Maui Condo/Car Packages from as low as $142/nt.
- From $609 - Oahu 6-Nt. Romantic Holiday w/Air & Hotels
- Day trip from Maui to Lanai by ferry! $30 each way (adults)
- From $1,159 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- Experience Live Chocolate Tree Orchard on Oahu & Save 10% with code HICOM
- The Suite Escape: Receive 4th Night FREE at Trump Waikiki
- Attn: Agents – Get to the next level with 12 wks of free real estate training
- Experience an ultimate watersport adventure at Twogood Kayaks
- Book a 5BR historic home for as low as $250/nt & get a free Hawaii snacks
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military
More Activities You Might Like
Catching the Ferry from Maui to Lanai
Even though Lāna‘i has bed and breakfasts, hotels, and five-star…