Things To Do on Lanai
The island of Lanai—with its towering sea cliffs, lavish resorts, and string of white sand beaches—is a tropical paradox of luxury and leisure that’s often misunderstood.
Yes—98% of Lanai is owned by Larry Ellison—but that doesn’t make it a private island that’s completely closed off to visitors. Instead this island just nine miles west of the town of Lahaina, on Maui, is an outdoor escape for hiking, surfing, diving, fishing and relaxing.
Golf is one of Lanai’s top things to do, with the Jack Nicklaus designed, Challenge at Manele offering sweeping views of the coast, and the 9-hole Cavendish being Hawaiʻi’s only completely free course.
Off-road exploring is another one of the best things to do on Lanai, where dirt roads lead to white sand beaches like Lopa and Polihua, and ancient historical sights like Kaunolu village are only a short drive away. It was here where chiefs like Kahekili would practice lele kawa—the ancient sport of diving off cliffs towards the turquoise waters below. Read more
As for the best free things to do on Lanai, exploring the island on your own two feet is a great way to appreciate the landscape, whether it’s hiking the Munro or Koloiki Ridge Trail in the misty, forested uplands, or exploring the Kapiha’a Fisherman’s Trail that departs from Hulopo’e Bay. Near Shipwreck Beach, on the northeastern coast, you can scour the shoreline for small white seashells that have washed ashore in the current, or search for the hidden petroglyphs that are scrawled on nearby rocks.
When driving between the mountains and beach, be sure to stop in Lanai City to explore the restaurants and shops, or peruse the collection of ancient artifacts at the Lanai Culture and Heritage Center.
Or, if you’d simply prefer to lounge by the pool of the Four Seasons Manele Bay, where massage tables and private cabanas look out towards the shoreline below, sometimes the best thing to do on Lanai is simply nothing at all, but listen to waves as they crash on the sand, and wind in the palm trees above.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Breathtaking views on Hawaii''s #1 zipline experience. SAVE w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
Catching the Ferry from Maui to Lanai
Even though Lāna‘i has bed and breakfasts, hotels, and five-star…
- GET 15% OFF local favorites like fish jerky, dried fruits, cookies & candies! Hungry Hawaiian is your online source for Hawaii snacks: use code HUNHWN
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- All Inclusive Hawaii Vacation Packages - Hotel, Activities, Meals and Transfers! Oahu (Waikiki), Maui, Kauai and the Big Island - From Only $970 pp
- Island Feet specializes in orthotic footwear and is committed to fixing your foot problems. FREE foot analysis at their Maui location - SHOP NOW!
- Top Hawaii Cruise Deals: 7 Night Norwegian Cruise from $1,199
- Awaken with a Maunakea Sunrise Experience from $189!
- Kauai’s Best Night Life- Enjoy a Night Shooting Adventure
- Combine your zipline and waterfall experience and SAVE 25%!
- Enjoy views of Diamond Head at Waikiki Shore by Outrigger!
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Your favorite Sunday Champagne Brunch in Ka?anapali
- Experience all of Oahu for $118 on an Island and You tour!
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Enjoy award-winning wine selections at Il Lupino