Things To Do on Lanai
The island of Lanai—with its towering sea cliffs, lavish resorts, and string of white sand beaches—is a tropical paradox of luxury and leisure that’s often misunderstood.
Yes—98% of Lanai is owned by Larry Ellison—but that doesn’t make it a private island that’s completely closed off to visitors. Instead this island just nine miles west of the town of Lahaina, on Maui, is an outdoor escape for hiking, surfing, diving, fishing and relaxing.
Golf is one of Lanai’s top things to do, with the Jack Nicklaus designed, Challenge at Manele offering sweeping views of the coast, and the 9-hole Cavendish being Hawaiʻi’s only completely free course.
Off-road exploring is another one of the best things to do on Lanai, where dirt roads lead to white sand beaches like Lopa and Polihua, and ancient historical sights like Kaunolu village are only a short drive away. It was here where chiefs like Kahekili would practice lele kawa—the ancient sport of diving off cliffs towards the turquoise waters below. Read more
As for the best free things to do on Lanai, exploring the island on your own two feet is a great way to appreciate the landscape, whether it’s hiking the Munro or Koloiki Ridge Trail in the misty, forested uplands, or exploring the Kapiha’a Fisherman’s Trail that departs from Hulopo’e Bay. Near Shipwreck Beach, on the northeastern coast, you can scour the shoreline for small white seashells that have washed ashore in the current, or search for the hidden petroglyphs that are scrawled on nearby rocks.
When driving between the mountains and beach, be sure to stop in Lanai City to explore the restaurants and shops, or peruse the collection of ancient artifacts at the Lanai Culture and Heritage Center.
Or, if you’d simply prefer to lounge by the pool of the Four Seasons Manele Bay, where massage tables and private cabanas look out towards the shoreline below, sometimes the best thing to do on Lanai is simply nothing at all, but listen to waves as they crash on the sand, and wind in the palm trees above.
Kids ride free with adult purchase on a submarine adventure!
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- Surf and sun inspired Hawaiian bath and body products, Bungalow Glow's Premium Organic soy candles, and more from Bubble Shack Hawaii
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- Taste love in a bottle: Visit the Kō Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum Distillery - $25
- Sunset dinner cruise on Maui from $96.40 - BOOK NOW!
- Enjoy “huki pau” specials at Harbor Restaurant at Pier 38!
- FREE Gratuities, up to $203/couple - 12 Day Cruise & Tour!
- Royal Lahaina Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE Portrait
- From $1,309 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- Fresh Squeezed Friday @ DTH: New cocktail each week @ 6PM
- It's time to plan your holiday party @Kaanapali Beach Hotel
- Save 9% off your condo vacation rental when you book direct!
- Discover the epic creation story of the Hawaiian Islands!
More Activities You Might Like
Catching the Ferry from Maui to Lanai
Even though Lāna‘i has bed and breakfasts, hotels, and five-star…