- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Fishing on Kauai
Kaua‘i offers some of the best sport fishing in the state. The reason is due to plunging ocean depths just off the coast that surround the island, giving enthusiasts an ideal opportunity to snag some of the most touted Pacific big game fish.
Deep sea fishing on Kauai can land a variety of species including the famed Hawaiian ‘ahi which actually consists of two different tuna species, yellowfin and bigeye. Other notable species found in Pacific waters that will earn you bragging rights include mahimahi, wahoo (ono), Pacific blue marlin and hebi (shortbill spearfish). Even though all of these fish are abundant year-round, there are seasons where certain species are more prevalent. Tuna, for example, is more likely to be caught during summer while marlin thrives in fall. Winter traditionally has the least number of fish while summer provides ample bounty.
The best way to fish on Kaua‘i is by accompanying professionals from one of the local tour companies like Captain Don’s Kaua‘i Sport Fishing or Ohana Fishing Charters. They invite visitors to hop on board one of their boats for four-, six- or eight-hour charters and allow you to experience what it’s like to hook your own Pacific Ocean fish. The perks of setting out on one of these adventures is having experienced guides assisting and providing you with proper equipment. Read more
Most of the tours depart from Nawiliwili Habor in Līhu‘e or Port Allen Harbor in ʻEle‘ele. The bonus about the location of these journeys is that you’ll get some exceptional views of the island including the possibility of seeing the inaccessible Nā Pali Coast. And if you’re especially lucky, depending on the time of year, you might see pods of Hawaiian humpback whales with their babies.
The best part about fishing on Kauai, however, is enjoying the fruits of your labor by getting to savor the exquisite taste of your own freshly caught Hawaiian seafood.
- Best of Hawaii 4-Island Tour 2021 departures starting at $1,999! SAVE $500 per couple on a 12-day guided tour with inter-island flights included.
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour 2021 departures starting at $2,099! SAVE $500 per couple. Visit 4 islands in 12 days with an extended stay on Oahu.
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,069
- Oahu & Kauai Island-Hopping with Air & Room, from $869. for 6 nights
- Plan for your 2021 Maui Vacation
- Get Hawaii's Premium High Performance Natural Zinc Sunscreen
- Shop Kauai Coffee Company's outstanding coffee
- Lanai safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c from $186
- 12-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour in 2021 from $1,999!
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military
- Take 25% Kaka’ako Kasuals Reef Walker line with code 25KEWALOS
- See the island of Lanai! 4x4 Trekker Tour from $186
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation!