What You Should Know About the Coronavirus in Hawaii
Updated March 26, 2020
How has COVID-19 impacted the state of Hawaii?
Hawaii’s status as a major travel destination has prompted local public health and tourism officials to ramp up efforts to mitigate the risk of the coronavirus spread (COVID-19). Hawaii’s first case of the virus was confirmed on March 6, after a resident tested positive following a return to Oahu after a February cruise from San Francisco to Mexico. The World Health Organization has ruled the coronavirus a “public health emergency of international concern.”
- David Ige signed a third supplementary proclamation, ordering the entire state to stay at home and work from home starting at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, Mar. 25 through Apr. 30. Essential workers are exempt.
- Governor Ige announced a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all incoming travelers, to take effect on Thursday, March 26.
- Residents and visitors have been encouraged to follow CDC guidelines regarding hygiene, social distancing and avoiding large gatherings of more than 10 people in order to prevent the spread of the virus.
- Governor David Ige has urged visitors to postpone their trips to Hawaii for 30 days so that the community can address the COVID crisis. If you do have a planned trip, please consult your travel provider regarding your options.
- All cruise passengers will be screened by means of temperature checks and interviewed by a physician before disembarking. Airports will also be bolstering their screening procedures.
- Daily updates from the Star Advertiser can be found here.
- City facilities including parks, golf and tennis courses and the Honolulu Zoo will be closed through April 30th. Lifeguards will not be on beaches at this time.
- Bars and clubs have been mandated to close indoor and outdoor dining services starting 8:30pm Friday, March 20th and lasting for 15 days. Restaurateurs have been urged to continue takeout and delivery services.
- Kauai Mayor Derek Kawakami has implemented an islandwide nighttime curfew beginning Friday, March 20th until further notice. The curfew mandates all individuals to remain in their residence from 9pm – 5am daily.
- Airline travel to and from Kauai island will be limited to essential needs only.
For the most up-to-date news coverage of the coronavirus in Hawaii, please visit www.staradvertiser.com.
Find out which attractions and events have been canceled or postponed here.
Travel Bookings on Hawaii.com
Hawaii.com has partnered with Priceline for online bookings. Please contact Priceline Customer Service for trip rescheduling/cancelling. Learn more about their policy here.
Priceline Customer Service
- All cruise ship calls suspended amid coronavirus concerns – 3/13/20
- Norwegian suspends voyages amid coronavirus concerns – 3/13/20
- Princess Cruises suspends operations, cancelling nine Hilo visits – 3/12/20
Did you know our cell phones have 18 times more bacteria than a public restroom? Every day, all the bacteria we touch on grocery carts, gas pumps, etc. are transferred and stored on our phones. These germs are transferred back to our hands, faces, and even food. Find out how you can sanitize your phone and stay healthy.
- Hawaii State Department of Transportation https://hidot.hawaii.gov/coronavirus/
- Hawaii Department of Health https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/advisories/novel-coronavirus-2019/
- Centers for Disease Control https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- World Health Organization https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
In the News:
- A list of Hawaii event cancellations, closures and postponements due to the coronavirus outbreak – Updated regularly
- All 6 suspected coronavirus cases in Hawaii test negative – 3/4/20
- Airplanes and coronavirus: How to disinfect your space – 3/3/20
- No one in Hawaii has been tested for coronavirus as health officials wait for kits from CDC – 2/20/20
- Coronavirus outbreak: Travel insurance may not cover associated losses – 2/9/20
- Health professionals share tips on how not to get sick while traveling – 2/8/20
- 6 Hawaii residents on cruise ship quarantined – 2/5/20
- Flights from China to Hawaii suspended due to coronavirus – 2/2/20
- DHS enacts new screening amid coronavirus concerns – 2/2/20
- The best way to avoid the scary coronavirus? Wash your hands – 2/1/20
- Delta, American Airlines suspend flights between U.S., China amid coronavirus outbreak – 1/31/20
- U.S. advises against travel to China; virus is declared an emergency – 1/30/20
- Hawaii has no coronavirus cases but state health officials urge caution – 1/29/20
- Honolulu airport to start screening for coronavirus – 1/28/20
For the most up-to-date news coverage, please visit www.staradvertiser.com.
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recent most reacted articles
Colored Sand Beaches of Hawaii Island
Hawaiʻi’s tropical beaches are among the most beautiful in the…
Cooking Hawaiian Style – Sean Robbins’ Portuguese Sausage Omelet
Singer, songwriter Sean Robbins shares his go-to island comfort food…
- Rental Cars