- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Walking Tours on the Big Island
Historic Kailua Village
Downtown Kailua-Kona is home to some of the most important sites in Hawaiʻi’s history. This quaint, historic downtown village running along the shores of Ali‘i Drive is home to such historical landmarks as Mokuaikaua Church, Kamakahonu Bay, Kailua Pier and Huliheʻe Palace. A relaxing, seaside village, Kailua-Kona offers a plethora of opportunities to visit historically significant sites and take in the wonder of Hawaiʻi Island’s rich and unique past. One of the town’s important sites is Ahu‘ena Heiau Temple at Kamakahonu Bay. Built in the early 1800’s, this iconic structure once served as the religious temple serving King Kamehameha the Great when he returned to the Big Island in 1812. Strolling south down Aliʻi Drive leads to Mokauikaua Church, the oldest Christian church in the state of Hawaiʻi. The church was constructed out of lava rock and sandstone in 1837. There’s no metal in the church’s construction, as there is no metal found naturally on the island. Across the street is Huliheʻe Palace, one of only three royal palaces in the state. It was built in 1938 by then Governor Kuakini and remodeled by King Kalākaua. Visitors can peruse the palace and enjoy the artwork and antique koa wood furniture.
The Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden
Known as the “Garden in a Valley on the Ocean,” The Hawaiʻi Tropical Botanical Garden is located off Highway 19 on the tropically beautiful Hāmākua Coast, a few miles north of Hilo. A museum of living plants, the garden attracts nature lovers, photographers and scientists world-wide with their over 2,000 species of tropical plants. This 40-acre garden valley of beauty holds nature trails winding through a rainforest filled with waterfalls, streams and spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean.
Ala Kahakai Trail
History buffs will enjoy a walking stroll along Ala Kahakai trail as it winds its way through remains of ancient fishponds, dwellings and other archaeological sites. The walking trail once connected hundreds of ancient island communities dating back over 1,500 years when the first Polynesian settlers inhabited Hawaiʻi Island. A combination of several trails, Ala Kahakai connects to the shoreline in multiple locations. The best starting point is a section of the trail that begins at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park. Explore the abundance of archaeological features and cross beds of lava to some of the most spectacular beaches on the island. Some sections of the trail become more challenging near Kukiʻo Beach and Four Seasons Resort Hualālai. Don’t forget to wear closed-toed shoes and bring plenty of drinking water. It gets hot out there on the black lava!
Walking Tours Directory
Botanical World Adventures
Botanical World Adventures is a nature-lover’s playground. Zip through lush,…
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Travel Back in Time at Lapakahi State Historical Park
Travel back in time over 600 years to the coastal…
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- SAVE 15% on Hilo Tropical Waterfalls tour w/ code Hilo15! Join us on this fun, informative & tasty journey as you soak up the rich heritage of Hilo!
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Enjoy The Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $210
- Save up to 25%: Join the Emerald Club® so you can bypass the counter, choose your own car and get on your way fast
- Zip, trek and rappel on the island’s ONLY canopy course!
- Text "BeachAlerts" to 43766 now for current beach conditions
- Book rooms at Lae Nani Resort Kauai by Outrigger
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates
- Zipline North Shore at CLIMB Works Keana Farms: $169/person
- Reserve now with National® and be the boss of your getaway.
- Hawaii Tours: Choose from over 300 tours across all islands
- Kamaaina rates available at Kaanapali Beach Hotel!
- Royal Kona Spirit Pkg w/Breakfast, car & parking! $285/nt
- Volunteer for fun & impactful activities with travel2change!