- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Sightseeing on the Big Island
Some of the most extraordinary natural and historic wonders can be found on the Big Island of Hawaii. From the world’s most active volcano to the world’s tallest sea mountain, from a stark black sand beach to a lush rainforest dripping with secret waterfalls, from the birthplace of a Hawaiian king to ancient Hawaiian fishponds — sightseeing on this island offers a glimpse into the power of the land and the history of its people.
The island is perhaps most known for Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the active Kilauea Volcano. The vent within Halema‘uma‘u crater is easily viewed from the overlook at the Jaggar Museum. The park itself is exciting to explore. From steaming bluffs to a walk through a lava tube and a hike to the largest petroglyph field in the Pacific, you will want more than a day here. Read more
The Keauhou area, also the birthplace of Kamehameha III, is home to several historical sites as well including three restored heiau (temples), battle and burial grounds.
Waipio Valley, also known as “The Valley of the Kings,” is approximately one mile wide and five miles deep, surround by cliffs almost 2,000 feet high. It is rich with powerful waterfalls, taro fields and winding rivers. The trek down into the valley is steep and a little frightening, but well worth it to take a guided tour or horseback ride. Or, you can simply stop and view the beauty from the overlook.
Big Island beaches are at the top of the list of things to see as well. Far from your average sandy spot, this island’s beaches are a study in diversity — Hapuna Beach’s expansive and delicate white sand stretches as far as the eye can see. However, it is truly unique to curl your toes into the coarse black or even green sand beaches such as that on the Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach on the southeastern Ka‘u coast.
Botanical Gardens also abound here on the island with Nani Mau Gardens and Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens on the East side, and the Amy B.H. Greenwell Ethnobotanical Garden on the West side. There are also several easily accessible waterfalls including Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls on the East side.
Sightseeing Tours Directory
Spreading the aloha spirit, from farm to cup. Buy Greenwell Farms 100% Kona coffee today.
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Akaka Falls and the Historic Hamlet of Honomu
Eleven miles north of Hilo along the Hamakua Coast sits…
Kealakekua Bay, the Pathway of the Gods
“The Pathway of the Gods”— the pristine underwater sanctuary located…
Mauna Kea: Stargaze from the Sacred White-Capped Mountain
Mauna Kea: Astronomers from around the world explore the universe…
- ISLAND FEET is committed to fixing your foot problems - Plantar fasciitis, Heel Spurs, Bunions, Neuromas, Arch Pain and more. SHOP FOOTWEAR NOW!
- Save up to 25%: Join the Emerald Club® so you can bypass the counter, choose your own car and get on your way fast
- Kona Luxury Sail - Hawaii Nautical takes you on an unparalleled yacht to experience Kona's most bejeweled underwater treasures. $389 per person.
- Visiting Hawaii is easy in a rental car from Alamo®. Minivans, economy cars, SUV's and more, Alamo has the rental car for your visit to Hawaii.
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Live Music in an Intimate Setting: See the Blue Note Lineup
- Grand Naniloa Resort: Receive Military Discounts For Your Service
- Royal Lahaina Experience Pkg w/Luau, cruise & more! $410/nt
- "GUARANTEED" Dolphin Tour with Snorkeling Na Pali
- Island Hop with Hawaii’s favorite little airline, Mokulele Airlines.
- $929 & up - Oahu & Kauai, 6-Nt Multi-Island Adventure
- Oceanfront Royal Kona Resort – Aloha Rates from $155/nt
- From farm to bottle: $25 Tasting Tour of Ko Hana Agricole Rum Distillery
- Ko Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum from heirloom sugar cane - $35
- $1,279 & up - Hawaii: Beach & Volcano 8-Nights w/Air & Car