- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Sightseeing on the Big Island
Some of the most extraordinary natural and historic wonders can be found on the Big Island of Hawaii. From the world’s most active volcano to the world’s tallest sea mountain, from a stark black sand beach to a lush rainforest dripping with secret waterfalls, from the birthplace of a Hawaiian king to ancient Hawaiian fishponds — sightseeing on this island offers a glimpse into the power of the land and the history of its people.
The island is perhaps most known for Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the active Kilauea Volcano. The vent within Halema‘uma‘u crater is easily viewed from the overlook at the Jaggar Museum. The park itself is exciting to explore. From steaming bluffs to a walk through a lava tube and a hike to the largest petroglyph field in the Pacific, you will want more than a day here. Read more
The Keauhou area, also the birthplace of Kamehameha III, is home to several historical sites as well including three restored heiau (temples), battle and burial grounds.
Waipio Valley, also known as “The Valley of the Kings,” is approximately one mile wide and five miles deep, surround by cliffs almost 2,000 feet high. It is rich with powerful waterfalls, taro fields and winding rivers. The trek down into the valley is steep and a little frightening, but well worth it to take a guided tour or horseback ride. Or, you can simply stop and view the beauty from the overlook.
Big Island beaches are at the top of the list of things to see as well. Far from your average sandy spot, this island’s beaches are a study in diversity — Hapuna Beach’s expansive and delicate white sand stretches as far as the eye can see. However, it is truly unique to curl your toes into the coarse black or even green sand beaches such as that on the Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach on the southeastern Ka‘u coast.
Botanical Gardens also abound here on the island with Nani Mau Gardens and Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens on the East side, and the Amy B.H. Greenwell Ethnobotanical Garden on the West side. There are also several easily accessible waterfalls including Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls on the East side.
Sightseeing Tours Directory
- Must Try Snacks. Hand Picked by It's A Hawaii Thing Hosts. FREE SHIPPING.
- Air & room packages starting from $1,129. See Oahu and the Big Island!
- Aloha Hawaiian Vacations’ Original All-Inclusive Packages from $970 per person including Hotel, Transfers, Breakfasts, Most Meals & Activities
- Oahu, Maui and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,539
- Rediscover Maui in a newly renovated Premium room plus dine at the newest beachfront restaurant on island.
- 12-Day Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour in 2021 from $2,099
- Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- Shaka Guide GPS Audio Tour Bundles - Save 50% and more!
- 4-Day Packages from $970 including Hotel and More
- From $1,539 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels
- Beachfront on Maui in a newly renovated room.
- Socially-Distanced Audio Driving Tours starting at $14.99
- From $889 - Oahu & Kauai, 6-Nt Multi-Island Adventure
- From $519 - Oahu 6-Nt. Romantic Holiday w/Air & Hotels