- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Sightseeing on the Big Island
Some of the most extraordinary natural and historic wonders can be found on the Big Island of Hawaii. From the world’s most active volcano to the world’s tallest sea mountain, from a stark black sand beach to a lush rainforest dripping with secret waterfalls, from the birthplace of a Hawaiian king to ancient Hawaiian fishponds — sightseeing on this island offers a glimpse into the power of the land and the history of its people.
The island is perhaps most known for Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and the active Kilauea Volcano. The vent within Halema‘uma‘u crater is easily viewed from the overlook at the Jaggar Museum. The park itself is exciting to explore. From steaming bluffs to a walk through a lava tube and a hike to the largest petroglyph field in the Pacific, you will want more than a day here. Read more
The Keauhou area, also the birthplace of Kamehameha III, is home to several historical sites as well including three restored heiau (temples), battle and burial grounds.
Waipio Valley, also known as “The Valley of the Kings,” is approximately one mile wide and five miles deep, surround by cliffs almost 2,000 feet high. It is rich with powerful waterfalls, taro fields and winding rivers. The trek down into the valley is steep and a little frightening, but well worth it to take a guided tour or horseback ride. Or, you can simply stop and view the beauty from the overlook.
Big Island beaches are at the top of the list of things to see as well. Far from your average sandy spot, this island’s beaches are a study in diversity — Hapuna Beach’s expansive and delicate white sand stretches as far as the eye can see. However, it is truly unique to curl your toes into the coarse black or even green sand beaches such as that on the Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach on the southeastern Ka‘u coast.
Botanical Gardens also abound here on the island with Nani Mau Gardens and Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens on the East side, and the Amy B.H. Greenwell Ethnobotanical Garden on the West side. There are also several easily accessible waterfalls including Rainbow Falls and Akaka Falls on the East side.
Sightseeing Tours Directory
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Breathtaking views on Hawaii''s #1 zipline experience. SAVE w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
Fly over mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, and the Pacific Ocean.
Akaka Falls and the Historic Hamlet of Honomu
Eleven miles north of Hilo along the Hamakua Coast sits…
Kealakekua Bay, the Pathway of the Gods
“The Pathway of the Gods”— the pristine underwater sanctuary located…
Mauna Kea: Stargaze from the Sacred White-Capped Mountain
Mauna Kea: Astronomers from around the world explore the universe…
- Learn to stand up paddle or board a whale watch cruise at nearby Anaehoomalu Beach. Book rooms from 58% off at Fairway Villas Waikoloa by Outrigger.
- NEW Limited Time Promotion: Extend your stay at Royal Kona Resort with a 5th night free. Book by July 15th.
- Arriving soon? Don’t forget to book your Airport Lei Greeting! It’s a Hawaiian tradition you won’t want to miss. Book Now
- Annie’s Island Fresh Burgers - Awarded BEST BURGER 7 years in a row by West Hawaii Today readers: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017!
- Visit the USS Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri and take a city tour of Honolulu from $89.99. Tours from Maui, Kauai and Big Island start at $429.99.
- Experience aloha chic at the Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
- 5% OFF the all new Alohilani Resort, Waikiki!
- $5 Food Menu every Tues. @ Down The Hatch Maui starting @9PM
- Tour the heritage sugarcane fields and taste Hawaii’s Kō Hana Rum - $25
- Get 20% Off your vacation rental at Castle Vacation Rentals
- See the island of Lanai! 4x4 Trekker Tour from $180.96!
- Taste love in a bottle: Visit the Kō Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum Distillery - $25
- From $114 - Napali Sunset Tour with Holo Holo Charters!
- NEW! Exclusive, in-depth volcano and lava tube experience!
- Experience a canoe ride on your Maui vacation! Waa Kaleopookela