Things To Do on the Big Island
If you are searching for things to do on the Big Island, you won’t be short on options. The island is rich with culture, history, natural beauty, and exciting adventures. There are so many options for fun things to do on the Big Island you might have a hard time choosing!
Depending on where you are staying and what areas you are game to try, this might help you narrow your choices.
On the East side of the island, where the climate is typically wetter, you might want to cover up (to avoid mosquitoes) and explore some of the area’s gorgeous botanical gardens like Nani Mau Gardens or Hawaii Tropical Botanical Garden. The area is also great for budding astronomers. Nearby ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center is a fantastic stop for families interested in learning more about the connections between Hawaiian cultural traditions and astronomy, or opt for one of the other area museums. Read more
With so much natural beauty, there are lots of cheap things to do as well if you are on a budget. Of course, one of the top things to do on this island is to visit Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, where, for $15 per vehicle or $8 per individual, you can spend an entire day or more hiking through Thurston Lava Tube, visiting the overlook at Halema‘uma‘u Crater, learning about volcanoes at the Jagger Museum and visitor center, and even traversing the largest petroglyph field in the Pacific.
Or check on Pu‘uhonua O Honaunau (Place of Refuge) south of Kailua-Kona, an 180-acre national Historic Park that was once a safe haven for women in times of war as well as for kapu (rules/prohibitions) breakers and criminals. Entry fee is a reasonable $3 per person/$5 per vehicle.
If you are looking for what to do on the Big Island, check out these Top 10 things to do. You also can’t go wrong with heading to the beach. Hapuna Beach’s expansive white sand is a favorite for families, but for something truly unique, visit Punalu‘u Black Sand Beach on the southeastern Ka‘u coast, where the glistening onyx shores are a favorite sunbathing spot for Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles.
If ocean adventure is on your list of things to do on the Big Island, you could try stand-up paddleboarding, nighttime snorkeling with manta rays in Keauhou, kayaking with dolphins in Kealakekua Bay, deep-sea fishing in Kona’s fabled waters, or a boat cruise to explore lava tube caves along the Kona Coast. You can even board the 48-foot Atlantis Submarine at Kailua Pier and opt for a dry experience underwater.
Above the trees, Big Island zipline adventure will zoom you through rainforests and past waterfalls. Whether by zipline, ATV, horseback, boat, or on foot, the best things to do on Hawaii’s Big Island are right at your fingertips.
And, if you’d prefer to keep your feet on the ground, check out some of the amazing artwork being produced on the island — everything from pottery to paintings, extreme photography to woodturnings.
DAILY WHALE WATCH (SEASONAL)...Trip duration 1-3:30pm...Includes: snacks and beverages
Journey to the beautiful, historical Kealakekua Bay for snorkeling
Take your need for speed to new heights on this thrilling Helicopter, zipline and Hawaii Volcanoes National Park adventure
Guided excursions on horseback in secluded Waipi’o Valley. Savor the charm of the 2 and a half hour adventure in old Hawai’i
- Surf and sun inspired Hawaiian bath and body products, Bungalow Glow's Premium Organic soy candles, and more from Bubble Shack Hawaii
- 10% off select Volcano Tours with Hawaii Forest & Trail! Book more than a month in advance to receive discount
- From $225/night: Stay in residential-style accommodations and experience breathtaking panoramic views at Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger.
- Become an A-List Insider with Aqua Hotels & Resorts to Save 10% Plus a Room Upgrade, Welcome Gift and More. Join Today and Book Your Hawaii Getaway.
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Frm $179/nt: Find comfort at Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
- Save $40 Daily, when you Pre-purchase at Royal Kona Resort
- Find exclusive Hawaii charms at PANDORA in Ala Moana Center.
- Royal Lahaina Resort - Aloha Rates from $195/nt
- “Kauai Exclusive Vacation Rentals – Island-Wide, From $120”
- Feel the heat on our Kilauea Lava Hike starting from $179!
- Royal Kona Package: luau, dinner cruise, & more! $310/nt
- Hyatt Place Waikiki-Free Breakfast & Wi-Fi. No Resort Free.
- Private lanai in all rooms! BOOK NOW
- Save $40 Daily, when you Pre-purchase at Royal Lahaina