Win a trip to Hawaii!
Sign up for a FREE account for chances to win a trip to Hawaii, travel deals, and more.
Find the pineapple and win 5,000 points!
Tip: The Valley Isle’s winter season ushers in dangerous and glorious swells at this famous beach.
Flying to Paradise
By Hawaii.com Team
With more flights and connections than ever before, Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on Oahu is Hawaii’s major airport — serving as the entry point for most of Hawaii’s visitors. Most major domestic carriers and many international carriers serve Oahu, so you can get here from just about anywhere.
An average flight time between Hawaii and the West Coast is approximately 5 hours, give or take a half hour depending upon conditions.
Major Hawaii Gateway Cities in North America
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Salt Lake City
- Las Vegas
- Dallas-Fort Worth
- New York-JFK
Although there are direct flights from North America to Hawaii’s smaller islands of Maui, Kauai and the Big Island, most travelers still need to connect through Oahu’s Honolulu International Airport to get to the neighbor islands, particularly when visiting the tiny islands of Lanai and Molokai which have no long-distance service.
Leading North American Carriers to Hawaii
- Alaska Airlines
- Air Canada
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- United Airlines
- US Airways
- WestJet (Canada)
Click on any of the airlines above to learn more about their Hawaii service including where they fly from in North America as well as what islands and airports they fly to within the 50th State.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Maui’s Kahului airport (OGG) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Lihue, Kauai (LIH) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Kailua-Kona on Hawaii’s Big Island (KOA) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Hilo on Hawaii’s Big Island (ITO) include Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines.
For more information on Hawaii airports, click on the links below.
- Honolulu International Airport (Oahu)
- Maui Airports
- Big Island Airports
- Molokai Airports
- Arrival & Departure FAQs
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Travel Discounts & Specials
Get discounts on Hawaii hotels, vacation packages and more from Hawaii.com, right in your email inbox — it's FREE!
- Rental Cars
- $825+ The Westin Maui: Includes FREE 3-day car rental, FREE daily breakfast PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE!
- Become an A-List Insider with Aqua Hotels & Resorts to Save 10% Plus a Room Upgrade, Welcome Gift and More. Join Today and Book Your Hawaii Getaway.
- Take a 7-minute stroll to world famous Waikiki Beach. Enjoy best rates at OHANA Waikiki East from only $125/night.
- $825+ Moana Surfrider: 3 Nights with air. Includes FREE car rental, daily breakfast PLUS spa discounts, lei greeting and kids 17 & younger stay FREE!
- From $990 Big Island & Kauai 6-Night Flexible Vacation w/Air, Hotels, Flight Transfer & Breakfast
- Shop rates w/3 car rental partners. Receive a discount
- From $42 - Whales Guaranteed Sail (Seasonal)
- Indulge in Kaanapali Beach Hotel's Sunday Champagne Brunch
- Stay at Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger on the Big Island!
- Take a tour of the beautiful Polynesian Cultural Center in Oahu
- From $59 - Waikiki Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- Roberts Hawaii’s #1 Tour Company – Save up to 15% Online
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military
- Guided Lava Tours to Big Island Volcano - See Lava Today!
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii