Win a trip to Hawaii!
Sign up for a FREE account for chances to win a trip to Hawaii, travel deals, and more.
Find the pineapple and win 5,000 points!
Tip: Winter, spring, summer or fall? When's the best time to visit Hawaii?
Flying to Paradise
By Hawaii.com Team
With more flights and connections than ever before, Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on Oahu is Hawaii’s major airport — serving as the entry point for most of Hawaii’s visitors. Most major domestic carriers and many international carriers serve Oahu, so you can get here from just about anywhere.
An average flight time between Hawaii and the West Coast is approximately 5 hours, give or take a half hour depending upon conditions.
Major Hawaii Gateway Cities in North America
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Salt Lake City
- Las Vegas
- Dallas-Fort Worth
- New York-JFK
Although there are direct flights from North America to Hawaii’s smaller islands of Maui, Kauai and the Big Island, most travelers still need to connect through Oahu’s Honolulu International Airport to get to the neighbor islands, particularly when visiting the tiny islands of Lanai and Molokai which have no long-distance service.
Leading North American Carriers to Hawaii
- Alaska Airlines
- Air Canada
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- United Airlines
- US Airways
- WestJet (Canada)
Click on any of the airlines above to learn more about their Hawaii service including where they fly from in North America as well as what islands and airports they fly to within the 50th State.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Maui’s Kahului airport (OGG) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Lihue, Kauai (LIH) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Kailua-Kona on Hawaii’s Big Island (KOA) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Hilo on Hawaii’s Big Island (ITO) include Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines.
For more information on Hawaii airports, click on the links below.
- Honolulu International Airport (Oahu)
- Maui Airports
- Big Island Airports
- Molokai Airports
- Arrival & Departure FAQs
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recent most reacted articles
40th Annual Nā Hōkū Hanohano Awards will Feature a Legendary Line Up of Island Entertainment
The awards will honor the brightest stars in island music…
Travel Discounts & Specials
Get discounts on Hawaii hotels, vacation packages and more from Hawaii.com, right in your email inbox — it's FREE!
- Rental Cars
- Take a 7-minute stroll to world famous Waikiki Beach. Enjoy best rates at OHANA Waikiki East from only $149/night.
- Choose from 4 different tours with Body Glove Hawaii: Snorkel & Dolphin Adventure, Whale Watch, Historical Dinner Cruise and Historical Lunch Cruise!
- Experience an adventure of a lifetime. Swim with dolphins in the wild. Enjoy live Hawaiian music/dance and a custom water slide. $10 OFF: code HIDEAL
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- Complimentary tickets, transportation and preferred seating at the world's only beachfront polo field from Equus Hotel
- Only One Luxury 1-Bedroom Condo at Ka Malanai in Kailua Left
- "Best of Hanalei” Luau every Wednesday - Discounts Offered
- Fully-Escorted 13-Day, Four Island Tour from $1,399
- Save $40 Daily, when you Pre-purchase at Royal Kona Resort
- Reserve now with National® and be the boss of your getaway.
- 10% Off: Tour 50 acres of rare & endangered tropical plants
- Take in glorious sunsets at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort!
- Escape to Oahu's secret island beach & enjoy kayaking & more
- Save up to 15% on your Maui Vacation Condo!
- Big Island paddleboard rentals $24/hour - BOOK NOW!