Win a trip to Hawaii!
Sign up for a FREE account for chances to win a trip to Hawaii, travel deals, and more.
Find the pineapple and win 5,000 points!
Tip: Just as Hawaii Island has two names, so does this trendy cowboy town on Hawaii Island.
Flying to Paradise
By Hawaii.com Team
With more flights and connections than ever before, Honolulu International Airport (HNL) on Oahu is Hawaii’s major airport — serving as the entry point for most of Hawaii’s visitors. Most major domestic carriers and many international carriers serve Oahu, so you can get here from just about anywhere.
An average flight time between Hawaii and the West Coast is approximately 5 hours, give or take a half hour depending upon conditions.
Major Hawaii Gateway Cities in North America
- San Francisco
- San Jose
- Los Angeles
- San Diego
- Salt Lake City
- Las Vegas
- Dallas-Fort Worth
- New York-JFK
Although there are direct flights from North America to Hawaii’s smaller islands of Maui, Kauai and the Big Island, most travelers still need to connect through Oahu’s Honolulu International Airport to get to the neighbor islands, particularly when visiting the tiny islands of Lanai and Molokai which have no long-distance service.
Leading North American Carriers to Hawaii
- Alaska Airlines
- Air Canada
- American Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Hawaiian Airlines
- United Airlines
- US Airways
- WestJet (Canada)
Click on any of the airlines above to learn more about their Hawaii service including where they fly from in North America as well as what islands and airports they fly to within the 50th State.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Maui’s Kahului airport (OGG) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Lihue, Kauai (LIH) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Kailua-Kona on Hawaii’s Big Island (KOA) include Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, United Airlines and WestJet.
Airlines that travel from North America direct to Hilo on Hawaii’s Big Island (ITO) include Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines.
For more information on Hawaii airports, click on the links below.
- Honolulu International Airport (Oahu)
- Maui Airports
- Big Island Airports
- Molokai Airports
- Arrival & Departure FAQs
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recent most reacted articles
Three Ways to Celebrate St. Paddy’s Day in Hawaii
Just like those wily Irish leprechauns, St. Patrick’s Day is…
Super Fruits Featured in Honolulu Cookie Company’s Newest Tropical Treats
Island favorites Guava and Lilikoi shine in the 2017 Fruit…
Travel Discounts & Specials
Get discounts on Hawaii hotels, vacation packages and more from Hawaii.com, right in your email inbox — it's FREE!
- Rental Cars
- Enjoy the Premier Expereince for 3 at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Experience Hawaii Island’s only tree-to-tree canopy adventure! Zip and soar amongst the trees on one of Kohala Zipline’s tours starting from $169!
- Explore historic Koloa Town a few minutes away, drive west to Waimea Canyon, or east to Hanalei on the north shore. Enjoy room rates from 43% off.
- Special online rates for Royal Kona’s Voyagers of the Pacific Luau show from $78 per person
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – Honolulu, Kahului, Lihue and Kona!
- Save $10: Book your Na Pali catamaran adventure online!
- Private lanai in all rooms! BOOK NOW
- Indulge in the award-winning Sunday Champagne Brunch on Maui
- Eggs 'n Things ' pancake mix and syrups available online!
- Swim in Poipu Beach on Kauai! Book rooms from $169/night!
- National Car Rental: Take control of your Hawaii vacation
- Escape to Oahu's secret island beach & enjoy kayaking & more
- Take in glorious sunsets at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort!
- Save 10%, book early & thrill your family. Polynesia.com
- 15% off Hawaiian wear for your whole family at Watumull's