Hawaii.com (the “Service”) is owned and operated by Oahu Publications, Inc. d.b.a. Hawaii.com, and contains material which is derived in whole or in part from The Honolulu Star-Advertiser and other sources.
What We Collect
Hawaii.com and our service providers collect personal data in order to create your account or provide services you have requested. We use various technologies like cookies, pixel tags, local storage, and databases to collect and store information. The data Hawaii.com and our service providers collect may include the following:
- Information You Provide to Us
- Hawaii.com may collect and store information, personal or otherwise, that you voluntarily supply either while on the Hawaii.com Web site or in responding, via e-mail to a feature provided on the Hawaii.com Web site. Some examples of this type of information include: demographic information that you electronically submit when you sign up for access to certain features on the Service, information (such as your name or e-mail address) that you electronically submit when you register for surveys, sweepstakes or contests on the Hawaii.com Web site, information that you post on message boards on the Hawaii.com Web site, and information contained in search requests or questions that you submit to the Hawaii.com Web site. If you decline to supply or provide Hawaii.com with certain information while using the Service, you may not be able to use or participate in some or all of the features offered through the Service.
- Personal information you voluntarily provided such as your name, e-mail address, birthdate, phone number, gender, social network data, number of children (for vacation packages), and postal code may be collected depending on the services you’re using.
- Information that is Automatically Collected.
- Hawaii.com also collects and stores information that is generated automatically as you navigate through the Hawaii.com Website. For example, to enhance your experience on the Hawaii.com Web site, Hawaii.com uses a standard feature found in browser software called a “cookie.” Cookies are small files that your web browser places on your hard drive for record-keeping purposes. By showing how and when visitors use the Hawaii.com Web site, cookies help us track user trends and patterns. They also prevent you from having to re-enter your preferences on certain areas of the Hawaii.com Web site where you have entered preference information before. Hawaii.com also uses web beacons (also known as “single-pixel GIFs”) to access cookies and to count users who visit the Hawaii.com Web site or open Hawaii.com’s HTML-formatted email messages. Another example of information that Hawaii.com automatically collects as you navigate the Hawaii.com Web site is information about your computer’s connection to the Internet. This information allows us, among other things, to improve the delivery of our Web pages to you and to measure traffic on the Hawaii.com Web site.
- We also collect data that does not reveal your specific identity to us, such as browser information, device, usage data, data collected from cookies and other technologies, demographic information, geolocation data, obtained with your consent where required by applicable law, and aggregated information. These data are collected from our service providers through cookies and other tracking technologies
How Hawaii.com Uses Your Personal Information and Other Data
Personal information collected through the site are primarily used to deliver you the services you have requested. Data are also used to personalize and customize our services such as birthday greetings and points. Information collected from analytics also help us measure performance and improve your experience using the Service. Understanding usage across platforms keeps us informed of what features are useful, what features we should add, and what features we need to improve.
We also use your contact information to contact you for customer support, newsletters you’ve signed up, or notifications related to our products and services. We also use the information you’ve submitted to us through sign-ups, forms, and contests to give you updates and information about Hawaii. Some forms give you options to sign up to newsletters or email campaigns from our advertisers. Hawaii.com understands and respects your privacy. If you want to opt-out on any of our emails, you can log in and update your email preferences or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please also keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online — for example on message boards, through e-mail, or in chat areas — that information can be seen, collected and used by others besides Hawaii.com. Hawaii.com cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party use of information that you disclose online.
Children’s Privacy Statement for Hawaii.com
This children’s privacy statement explains our practices with respect to the online collection and use of personal information from children under the age of thirteen, and provides important information on your rights under federal law with respect to such information.
We do NOT knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen. We screen users who wish to provide personal information in order to prevent users under the age of thirteen from providing such information. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of thirteen, we will delete such information from our records. If we change our practices in the future, we will obtain prior, verifiable parental consent before collecting any personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen.
Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen, we also do NOT knowingly distribute such information to third parties.
We do NOT knowingly allow children under the age of thirteen to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information.
Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen, we do NOT condition the participation in online activities of a child under thirteen on providing personally identifiable information.
Questions on Privacy
If you have any questions about the privacy statement or the children’s privacy statement, the practices of Hawaii.com, or your dealings with Hawaii.com, you can contact:
Hawaii.com User Services
500 Ala Moana Blvd, Tower 7, Ste. 500
Honolulu, HI 96813
Sharing Your Information
Hawaii.com also reserves the right to use and to disclose to third parties all of the information Hawaii.com collects online about you and other visitors in any way. HOWEVER, it is Hawaii.com’s current policy to not share information about its visitors with third parties, nor will Hawaii.com authorize third parties to use its collected information to mail or e-mail promotional offers to you. Any change in this policy will be preceded by a notification to Hawaii.com’s members/visitors. In addition, Hawaii.com will not use the information it collects online from you to send you promotional mail or e-mail, unless you specifically choose (in the Web site’s Members Section) to receive these offers. To view or update your preferences to receive Hawaii.com’s promotional offers, visit your Member Dashboard.
Be aware that Hawaii.com may occasionally release information about visitors when release is appropriate to comply with law, to enforce our Terms of Service agreement, or to protect the rights, property or safety of visitors to our Web site, the public, or Hawaii.com.
Please also note that as our business grows, we may buy or sell various assets. In the unlikely event that Hawaii.com, some or all of our assets, or our Web site is acquired by another company, information on our visitors may be among the transferred assets.
Keeping Your Information Secure
Exporting & Deleting Your Information
Changes to this Policy
- May 23, 2018: Revised and reorganized content to simplify the policy and make our practices clearer
- Rental Cars