Data Collection and Sharing
- We collect data you give us (name, email, home address, etc.) and data from your device (computer “IP” address, hardware, ec.).
- We’ve created privacy controls to help you manage your data with us
- You can decide what data you’d like to share and when you’d like to access, correct, delete or move your data
- Manage your privacy controls
- Links to the laws that inspired this policy.
- Data We Collect and Why
- How to Control Your Data
- Data We Share and Why
- Keeping your Data Safe
- Know Your Rights
- This is data about other data
- Example, metadata for a photo might be when it was taken or its file size.
- Aggregate means compiling different types of data into a group
- Aggregate metadata about you may be used to display relevant content or ads
- Where something is located in the world, usually determined via an internet device.
- Data can be derived through GPS, cell networks or your IP address and gives us an idea of where your device is located for the purpose of targeting content or ads (with your permission) and to combat fraud.
- Cookies are small files that your web browser places on your hard drive for record-keeping purposes.
- By showing how and when visitors use our websites, cookies help us track user trends and patterns. They also prevent you from having to re-enter your preferences on certain areas of our websites where you have entered preference information before.
- Used to identify you, store your login or send you personalized content or ads
- Web beacons, also known as pixel tags or single-pixel GIFs, are used to unobtrusively monitor user activity on a web page or email for page tagging and/or analytics
Data We Collect and Why
There are two basic ways we get data about you:
- Directly from you
- Personal data you share when you voluntarily sign up for a newsletter, subscription, contests, features, or other services (e.g. letters to the editor, comments, photo submissions, etc.)
- If you give us permission, we use this information to personalize your content and advertising, send you offers or fulfill a service
- Information you share with us through email, phone, or online chat (via our social media channels)
- We also make some content, products and services available through our Service through cooperative relationships with third party providers, where the brands of our provider partner appear prominently on our Services. We may share with our provider partners any information you provide, or that is collected, in the course of visiting any pages that are made available in cooperation with our provider partners.
- Please also keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online — for example on message boards, comments, through email, or in chat areas — that information can be seen, collected and used by others besides our Services. We cannot be responsible for any unauthorized third party use of information that you disclose online.
- Indirectly from you
- Data we collect from your device (e.g. type of device, IP address, browser information, etc. ).
- This data helps us display content correctly on all your devices and protects you from malware and fraudulent advertising.
- Information on your visit to any of our platforms, including the full uniform resource locators (URL) to and from our platforms (including date and time), pages you viewed, and page response times. These are used for analytics purposes and reporting
Types of Data We Collect
- Account Data
- To access our content or services, you may need to register and provide personal data to setup an account. Personal information you voluntarily provided such as your name, email address, birthdate, phone number, gender, social network data, number of children (for vacation packages), and postal code may be collected depending on the services you’re using.
- You can update, change or cancel your account at any time.
- Your Email Address
- We will use your email address to communicate services you’ve requested (e.g., newsletters), information about your account, and customer support.
- Provide a password recovery email.
- We may disclose your email, with your permission, to third parties when you sign up or opt-in for newsletters, surveys, or contests on our websites
- Your Location
- We don’t collect precise geolocation data (your location at any given time).
- We don’t knowingly collect or solicit information from anyone under the age of 13 or allow them to register for an account.
- Cookies are small text files placed on your browser that may identify you, store login data, record your IP address, or track your online activities.
- If you share your data (e.g., register), we place a cookie on your browser that identifies you and logs you each time you visit our site.
- Some cookies essential for services to work (e.g., login, payments) can’t be blocked.
- Some services may be delivered by third party vendors who may have separate cookie policies.
How to Control Your Data
Data Sharing Options
- Google Analytics Opt-Out
- To opt-out for targeted advertising on your specific browser:
- Email Preferences
Downstream Participant Opt-Out Links
To Opt-Out of the Sale or Personalization of the ad that is being served to you, you can use the opt-out links provided on our Third Party Information page.
To Opt-Out of the Sale or Personalization of the ad that is being served to you using Downstream Participant please use this official IAB Opt-Out page (https://www.iabprivacy.com/optout.html)
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Hawaii.com offers our customers certain choices about how we use their information. The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) gives California residents the right to opt- out of the “sale” of their personal information. Click here to opt-out.
Data We Share and Why
- Payment Information
- We don’t process consumer payments and instead rely on trusted third-party payment providers (like banks, etc.) that meet our high standards.
- We accept payment information through online forms or the phone but don’t share data with entities other than payment providers that handle and store your credit card details.
- Payment providers we use are completely independent and have different privacy policies.
- See a list of our payment providers
- Third Parties
- Third parties is another word for “companies we do business with.”
- We don’t sell, lease, or share your data without your permission.
- With your permission, we might share data with companies that help us understand how you use our website, send you email, provide customer support, process payments, or target advertising.
- See a list of companies we work with.
- Law Enforcement Authorities
- Be aware that we may occasionally release information about visitors when release is appropriate to comply with law, to enforce our Terms of Service agreement, or to protect the rights, property or safety of visitors to our site, the public, or OPI.
- If you subscribe to access our content, we’ll collect some personal data from you such as your name, email, and address.
- Your data will not be shared with other entities (e.g., advertisers) unless you give us permission.
- Advertising can help you learn about products and services and also helps us fund journalism.
- You determine what, if any, data you are willing to share with advertisers.
How We Keep Your Data Safe
- Data Security
- We make reasonable efforts to ensure your personal data is secure and safe with us while taking into account implementation costs and the nature, scope, context and purposes of processing. However, no one can guarantee the complete safety of your information. If you have a reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please immediately notify us using the email address or toll-free number found on our Contact Us section.
- Data Retention
- Data you provide (e.g., name, email, address) will only be stored for as long as necessary to fulfill services, such as account log in or ad delivery.
- If you become a member or subscribe, we may hold data about you, with your permission, for a longer period of time to better deliver relevant content, up to 13 months unless you agree to a longer time period.
- In some cases, after you unsubscribe from an email newsletter or subscription, we may retain your data for a commercially reasonable time for backup, archival, or audit purposes.
Your Rights Regarding Your Data
- Get a copy of your data
- in a machine-readable format so you can move, copy or store it with another entity
- Delete or amend
- your personal data*
* There are exceptions to this under the California Consumer Privacy Act
- your personal data*
- Restrict, or object
- to the processing of your data
- any inaccurate or incomplete data we have about you
- Lodge a complaint
- with the Federal Trade Commission about how we process your data
For questions or concerns, check our Contact Us section
Other Important Information
Children’s Privacy Statement
This children’s privacy statement explains our practices with respect to the online collection and use of personal information from children under the age of thirteen, and provides important information on your rights under federal law with respect to such information.
We do NOT knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. We screen users who wish to provide personal information in order to prevent users under the age of thirteen from providing such information. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personally identifiable information from a user under the age of thirteen, we will delete such information from our records. If we change our practices in the future, we will obtain prior, verifiable parental consent before collecting any personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen.
Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen, we also do NOT knowingly distribute such information to third parties.
We do NOT knowingly allow children under the age of thirteen to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information.
Because we do not collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of thirteen, we do NOT condition the participation in online activities of a child under thirteen on providing personally identifiable information.
Changes to This Policy
- We will not make changes to this policy without letting you know or make changes that clearly violate our core privacy values.
- If we need to make changes for business or functionality reasons, we’ll let you know in advance so you can review it, adjust your privacy settings or delete your account.
You can also file a complaint with the United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC), a government agency that broadly oversees fraud and deception in the marketplace. Visit the FTC’s Consumer Complaint Center.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-866-I-OPT-OUT and enter the Service Code 724 to leave your message with your name, email, and phone number. You can also write us at:
ATTN: Digital Department
500 Ala Moana Boulevard, Suite 7-500
Honolulu, HI 96813
- Rental Cars