- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Encounters
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Whale Watching on Oahu
Graceful and gentle giants of the ocean, arching, breaching, and frolicking, Hawaii’s humpback whales take center stage during whale season. And for those lucky enough to experience this once in a lifetime influx of such extraordinary creatures (these sea “stars” offer performances worthy of Oscars), it is truly a memory to cherish forever.
Annually, during the magical winter months of December thru May, the tropical islands of Hawaii greet new arrivals, but instead of the standard expected “snowbirds” (islanders’ oft-described endearing term for Hawaii’s wintry-month transplants and tourists), we are speaking of an animal of entirely another sort: the North Pacific humpback whales.
Yet just as predictable, and as much of a certainty as the wintry arrival of the snowbirds to Hawaii’s shores, many of the humpbacks will travel great lengths—in some cases, a whopping 4,000 miles (round-trip)—for their annual migrations. A beautiful sight to behold, this nautical voyage to Oahu’s tropical waters attracts the attention of both locals and tourists alike, mesmerized gawkers who gather in awe and appreciation, waiting with abated breath in hopes of catch-ing even a glimpse of the beautiful sea mammals in their natural habitats.
The Leeward Coast and western shores of Oahu tend to see the most whale action, but there are more than a healthy smattering of exciting tours that you can participate in island-wide. Among some of the top tour picks are aboard the Star of Honolulu or with Tradewinds Charters (both of which depart from Waikiki), as well as accompanying Dolphin Excursions on their whale watching jaunts from Waianae. And should you find yourself on the island’s idyllic North Shore, a favorite company offering you a “whale” of a good time adventure is North Shore Catamaran Charters.
Hawaii Nautical also offers whale-watching tours, both out of the Leeward Coast and Waikiki.
Now that you are familiar with a few more facts and specifics about Hawaii’s humpback whales, you and your loved ones will be more than prepared for your whale adventure! Just be sure to bring your camera, binoculars, sunscreen!
Whale Watching Directory
Group & private standup paddle board lessons from Kailua Beach Adventures! 15% off with code "kailua"
Pure cane rums made from heirloom variety sugarcane brought to Hawaii by Polynesian explorers
Capture your special day forever. Get 10% off weddings with promo code: HAWAII
- Affordable adventure and island hopping awaits with Mokulele Airlines! Click for WEB SPECIALS
- Find everything under the sun at the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet & Marketplace! $1 admission per person and Kids 11 & under FREE!
- Sea Scooters are a perfect rental option for customers who would prefer to be pulled instead of swimming!
- Hawaiian Escape from only $999 - 7 Days Two Island Escorted Tour with inter-island flight! SAVE $1,300 per couple on select departures!
- Come search for dolphins, turtles and whales while sailing on the beautiful waters of Waikiki with Mana Kai Catamaran! $30 BOOK NOW!
- A pair of BLT sliders are only $7 during happy hour at Tropics Tap House.
- [SCUBA] Dive into adventure with Dive Oahu for $149!
- $5 double 20oz house margaritas on Tues. @ Fred's Mexican
- Send Flowers Hawaiian-Style! Nationwide delivery.
- Kids ride free with adult purchase on a submarine adventure!
- Swim with dolphins & sea turtles for $146 with code HIDEAL!
- 10% OFF Kauai horseback riding! Click here & call to book!
- Adventure in a sub under the sea and get a kid’s ride free!
- Catch the ferry between Maui & Lanai! $30 each way (adult
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates