Whale Watching on Oahu
Graceful and gentle giants of the ocean, arching, breaching, and frolicking, Hawaii’s humpback whales take center stage during whale season. And for those lucky enough to experience this once in a lifetime influx of such extraordinary creatures (these sea “stars” offer performances worthy of Oscars), it is truly a memory to cherish forever.
Annually, during the magical winter months of December thru May, the tropical islands of Hawaii greet new arrivals, but instead of the standard expected “snowbirds” (islanders’ oft-described endearing term for Hawaii’s wintry-month transplants and tourists), we are speaking of an animal of entirely another sort: the North Pacific humpback whales.
Yet just as predictable, and as much of a certainty as the wintry arrival of the snowbirds to Hawaii’s shores, many of the humpbacks will travel great lengths—in some cases, a whopping 4,000 miles (round-trip)—for their annual migrations. A beautiful sight to behold, this nautical voyage to Oahu’s tropical waters attracts the attention of both locals and tourists alike, mesmerized gawkers who gather in awe and appreciation, waiting with abated breath in hopes of catch-ing even a glimpse of the beautiful sea mammals in their natural habitats.
The Leeward Coast and western shores of Oahu tend to see the most whale action, but there are more than a healthy smattering of exciting tours that you can participate in island-wide. Among some of the top tour picks are aboard the Star of Honolulu or with Tradewinds Charters (both of which depart from Waikiki), as well as accompanying Dolphin Excursions on their whale watching jaunts from Waianae. And should you find yourself on the island’s idyllic North Shore, a favorite company offering you a “whale” of a good time adventure is North Shore Catamaran Charters.
Hawaii Nautical also offers whale-watching tours, both out of the Leeward Coast and Waikiki.
Now that you are familiar with a few more facts and specifics about Hawaii’s humpback whales, you and your loved ones will be more than prepared for your whale adventure! Just be sure to bring your camera, binoculars, sunscreen!
Whale Watching Directory
Teaching surf lessons to people of all ages and experience levels.
Take in this scenic afternoon cruise. Views of the Honolulu Skyline, Waikiki’s towering hotels, and the famed Diamond Head
Makani is Hawaii’s most luxurious sailing adventure!
Amazing photos taking you to hidden locations only the locals know.
- Enjoy 28-day, dry-aged steaks, mouthwatering appetizers, savory sides, and delectable desserts from world-famous Wolfgang's Steakhouse in Waikiki
- Make the most of vacation days with Sunshine on Sale at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach. Every 4th night is free and daily breakfast buffet for 2.
- Dine on imported Italian cheeses and hand-cut meats paired with Italian and Domestic wine selections. Make your reservation at Il Lupino
- From $59 - Waikiki Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical: Enjoy a scenic cruise toward Diamond Head at sunset.
- Your island hopping adventure awaits! Mokulele Air offers reliable inter island service with over 120 daily flights - BOOK NOW!
- 4th Nt Free + Brkf for 2 at Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows.
- Royal Lahaina 6 Night Stays in Partial Ocean View fr $194/nt
- Private customized adventures on the magical Island of Oahu!
- Affordable island hopping awaits with Mokulele Airlines!
- Create the ocean front wedding of your dreams, fr $1975+ tax
- Happy Hour at Il Lupino, every day from 12:00pm to 6:30pm
- Discover naturally beautiful Big Island from only $139/night
- Stay at Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger on the Big Island!
- Royal Lahaina Romance Pkg w/Dinner, luau, & more fr. $485/nt
- Discover Maui's historic Lahaina town from only $129/night!