- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Encounters
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Whale Watching on Oahu
Graceful and gentle giants of the ocean, arching, breaching, and frolicking, Hawaii’s humpback whales take center stage during whale season. And for those lucky enough to experience this once in a lifetime influx of such extraordinary creatures (these sea “stars” offer performances worthy of Oscars), it is truly a memory to cherish forever.
Annually, during the magical winter months of December thru May, the tropical islands of Hawaii greet new arrivals, but instead of the standard expected “snowbirds” (islanders’ oft-described endearing term for Hawaii’s wintry-month transplants and tourists), we are speaking of an animal of entirely another sort: the North Pacific humpback whales.
Yet just as predictable, and as much of a certainty as the wintry arrival of the snowbirds to Hawaii’s shores, many of the humpbacks will travel great lengths—in some cases, a whopping 4,000 miles (round-trip)—for their annual migrations. A beautiful sight to behold, this nautical voyage to Oahu’s tropical waters attracts the attention of both locals and tourists alike, mesmerized gawkers who gather in awe and appreciation, waiting with abated breath in hopes of catch-ing even a glimpse of the beautiful sea mammals in their natural habitats.
The Leeward Coast and western shores of Oahu tend to see the most whale action, but there are more than a healthy smattering of exciting tours that you can participate in island-wide. Among some of the top tour picks are aboard the Star of Honolulu or with Tradewinds Charters (both of which depart from Waikiki), as well as accompanying Dolphin Excursions on their whale watching jaunts from Waianae. And should you find yourself on the island’s idyllic North Shore, a favorite company offering you a “whale” of a good time adventure is North Shore Catamaran Charters.
Hawaii Nautical also offers whale-watching tours, both out of the Leeward Coast and Waikiki.
Now that you are familiar with a few more facts and specifics about Hawaii’s humpback whales, you and your loved ones will be more than prepared for your whale adventure! Just be sure to bring your camera, binoculars, sunscreen!
Whale Watching Directory
Enjoy the Tree-to-Bar Cacao & Chocolate Experience! Local, Mil & Hawaii.com Discounts!
Capture memories that last a lifetime. Get 10% off family photos with promo code: HAWAII
Farm to bottle. Small batch, single variety, hand crafted Hawaiian Agricole Rum. Visit the Farm and Take the Tour!
Book Online! Use Promo Code 101HAWAII for 15% off any Surf or SUP Lesson.
Get $10 off a Dolphins and You wild dolphin tour with code HIDEAL!
- Family-friendly Cacao Farm Tour & Tasting; Kids < 6 Free! Cuddle Mini-Goats & Bunnies while tasting craft tree-to-bar chocolate and tropical honey
- Discover Oahu’s rich history atop ancient eruptive sites with spectacular views. Sites include Diamond Head, Nuuanu Pali lookout & more. From $144!
- Enjoy a family adventure at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Experience stars like Kenny G, Chaka Khan and Amy Schumer in an intimate setting. With only 300 seats, you can't beat a show at Blue Note Hawaii.
- Island Helicopters offers unique tours around this tropical paradise; including one of Hawaii’s most elite tours, the Jurassic Falls Landing Adventure
- From $69 - Whales Guaranteed Sail (Seasonal)
- Find your right surfboard at Surfboard Factory Hawaii
- Pearl Harbor + Oahu Island tour from $114.99 - BOOK NOW!
- Get Best Prices For Our Spectacular Beachside Maui Luau
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- MAUI'S BEST LUAU - Old Lahaina Luau - BOOK NOW!
- Experience all of Oahu for $118 on an Island and You tour!
- Book Online & Save at Royal Lahaina Luau - $108 - BOOK NOW!
- Beautiful Maui Sunrise Whalewatch tour. Book & Save 10%
- Book a 5BR historic home for as low as $250/nt & get a free Hawaii snacks