- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Encounters
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Whale Watching on Oahu
Graceful and gentle giants of the ocean, arching, breaching, and frolicking, Hawaii’s humpback whales take center stage during whale season. And for those lucky enough to experience this once in a lifetime influx of such extraordinary creatures (these sea “stars” offer performances worthy of Oscars), it is truly a memory to cherish forever.
Annually, during the magical winter months of December thru May, the tropical islands of Hawaii greet new arrivals, but instead of the standard expected “snowbirds” (islanders’ oft-described endearing term for Hawaii’s wintry-month transplants and tourists), we are speaking of an animal of entirely another sort: the North Pacific humpback whales.
Yet just as predictable, and as much of a certainty as the wintry arrival of the snowbirds to Hawaii’s shores, many of the humpbacks will travel great lengths—in some cases, a whopping 4,000 miles (round-trip)—for their annual migrations. A beautiful sight to behold, this nautical voyage to Oahu’s tropical waters attracts the attention of both locals and tourists alike, mesmerized gawkers who gather in awe and appreciation, waiting with abated breath in hopes of catch-ing even a glimpse of the beautiful sea mammals in their natural habitats.
The Leeward Coast and western shores of Oahu tend to see the most whale action, but there are more than a healthy smattering of exciting tours that you can participate in island-wide. Among some of the top tour picks are aboard the Star of Honolulu or with Tradewinds Charters (both of which depart from Waikiki), as well as accompanying Dolphin Excursions on their whale watching jaunts from Waianae. And should you find yourself on the island’s idyllic North Shore, a favorite company offering you a “whale” of a good time adventure is North Shore Catamaran Charters.
Hawaii Nautical also offers whale-watching tours, both out of the Leeward Coast and Waikiki.
Now that you are familiar with a few more facts and specifics about Hawaii’s humpback whales, you and your loved ones will be more than prepared for your whale adventure! Just be sure to bring your camera, binoculars, sunscreen!
Whale Watching Directory
Enjoy the Tree-to-Bar Cacao & Chocolate Experience! Local, Mil & Hawaii.com Discounts!
Come catch tilapia, grass carp, catfish & prawns at Ali’i Agricultural Farms.
Capture your special day forever. Get 10% off weddings with promo code: HAWAII
Fly over mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, and the Pacific Ocean.
- Come test your hand at one of Hawaii's best & most beautiful courses — come see the difference at Bay View. Rates start @ $22. Kama'aina rate available
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- SAVE up to $25 on a dolphin interactive program when you book 10 days or more in advance! Call (808) 259-2500 to receive offer!
- Enjoy a family adventure at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Dine on imported Italian cheeses and hand-cut meats paired with Italian and Domestic wine selections. Make your reservation at Il Lupino
- Kauai’s Real Dirt Shirts in Waimea, starting at $10
- Big Wave Dave: Waikiki's best surfing lessons & local coffee
- Get Best Prices For Our Spectacular Beachside Maui Luau
- Paddle a canoe for your upcoming Maui trip
- Royal Lahaina Resort - Aloha Reduced Rates from $235/nt
- Kaanapali Ocean Inn Standard Special from $144/nt
- From $1,179 - Oahu, Kona & Hilo 6-Nt Island-Hop Adventure
- Adventure Starts Here! Northshore Zipline Maui - $119/person
- Plant. Harvest. Smile. Repeat. @ Waiahole Nursery & Garden
- Family-friendly Cacao Farm Tour & Tasting – Kids < 6 Free!