- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Encounters
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Whale Watching on Oahu
Graceful and gentle giants of the ocean, arching, breaching, and frolicking, Hawaii’s humpback whales take center stage during whale season. And for those lucky enough to experience this once in a lifetime influx of such extraordinary creatures (these sea “stars” offer performances worthy of Oscars), it is truly a memory to cherish forever.
Annually, during the magical winter months of December thru May, the tropical islands of Hawaii greet new arrivals, but instead of the standard expected “snowbirds” (islanders’ oft-described endearing term for Hawaii’s wintry-month transplants and tourists), we are speaking of an animal of entirely another sort: the North Pacific humpback whales.
Yet just as predictable, and as much of a certainty as the wintry arrival of the snowbirds to Hawaii’s shores, many of the humpbacks will travel great lengths—in some cases, a whopping 4,000 miles (round-trip)—for their annual migrations. A beautiful sight to behold, this nautical voyage to Oahu’s tropical waters attracts the attention of both locals and tourists alike, mesmerized gawkers who gather in awe and appreciation, waiting with abated breath in hopes of catch-ing even a glimpse of the beautiful sea mammals in their natural habitats.
The Leeward Coast and western shores of Oahu tend to see the most whale action, but there are more than a healthy smattering of exciting tours that you can participate in island-wide. Among some of the top tour picks are aboard the Star of Honolulu or with Tradewinds Charters (both of which depart from Waikiki), as well as accompanying Dolphin Excursions on their whale watching jaunts from Waianae. And should you find yourself on the island’s idyllic North Shore, a favorite company offering you a “whale” of a good time adventure is North Shore Catamaran Charters.
Hawaii Nautical also offers whale-watching tours, both out of the Leeward Coast and Waikiki.
Now that you are familiar with a few more facts and specifics about Hawaii’s humpback whales, you and your loved ones will be more than prepared for your whale adventure! Just be sure to bring your camera, binoculars, sunscreen!
Whale Watching Directory
Matsumoto’s Shave Ice on the North Shore has the best tropical flavors and toppings.
Special Offer: Oahu private charter tours starting from $599! Choose from swimming with dolphins, sunset cruises, ocean activities & more
- Cool off with Matsumoto's Shave Ice. Choose your own flavors and add ice cream or condensed milk for a sweet treat!
- From $129 - Oahu Snorkel Sail: Snorkel at a calm & vibrant anchorage. In-water help by Lifeguard-certified crew. Breakfast, lunch and drinks included.
- From $149 - Friday night Waikiki fireworks dinner cruise - island fresh, gourmet
- Scuba Dive from $159 - Cruise the scenic West Oahu coast to an array of dive locations including wrecks, caves and reefs.
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- From $89- West Oahu Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- 12-Day Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour in 2021 from $2,099
- Stop by Rainbow Drive-in for Hawaii’s comfort food, the plate lunch.
- From $1,039 - Oahu, Kona & Hilo 6-Nt Island-Hop Adventure
- Shop rates w/3 car rental partners. Receive a discount
- From $1,329 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- National Car Rental: Take control of your Hawaii vacation
- The Suite Escape: Receive 4th Night FREE at Trump Waikiki