Whale Watching on Oahu
Graceful and gentle giants of the ocean, arching, breaching, and frolicking, Hawaii’s humpback whales take center stage during whale season. And for those lucky enough to experience this once in a lifetime influx of such extraordinary creatures (these sea “stars” offer performances worthy of Oscars), it is truly a memory to cherish forever.
Annually, during the magical winter months of December thru May, the tropical islands of Hawaii greet new arrivals, but instead of the standard expected “snowbirds” (islanders’ oft-described endearing term for Hawaii’s wintry-month transplants and tourists), we are speaking of an animal of entirely another sort: the North Pacific humpback whales.
Yet just as predictable, and as much of a certainty as the wintry arrival of the snowbirds to Hawaii’s shores, many of the humpbacks will travel great lengths—in some cases, a whopping 4,000 miles (round-trip)—for their annual migrations. A beautiful sight to behold, this nautical voyage to Oahu’s tropical waters attracts the attention of both locals and tourists alike, mesmerized gawkers who gather in awe and appreciation, waiting with abated breath in hopes of catch-ing even a glimpse of the beautiful sea mammals in their natural habitats.
The Leeward Coast and western shores of Oahu tend to see the most whale action, but there are more than a healthy smattering of exciting tours that you can participate in island-wide. Among some of the top tour picks are aboard the Star of Honolulu or with Tradewinds Charters (both of which depart from Waikiki), as well as accompanying Dolphin Excursions on their whale watching jaunts from Waianae. And should you find yourself on the island’s idyllic North Shore, a favorite company offering you a “whale” of a good time adventure is North Shore Catamaran Charters.
Hawaii Nautical also offers whale-watching tours, both out of the Leeward Coast and Waikiki.
Now that you are familiar with a few more facts and specifics about Hawaii’s humpback whales, you and your loved ones will be more than prepared for your whale adventure! Just be sure to bring your camera, binoculars, sunscreen!
Sail off the coast of Oahu and enjoy awesome views of Waikiki, Diamond Head and much more
The young and young-at heart will be entertained by island folklore and history
Golf at 270 acres of sheer beauty that offers stunning views of the rain-carved Waianae Mountains.
Visit WWII Valor in the Pacific Monument & USSArizona Memorial, USS Missouri Battleship on Ford Island, & more!
A Day at Pearl Harbor is our most complete Pearl Harbor tour, featuring all of the museums and memorials of Pearl Harbor
World famous Sea Life Parks stunningly scenic Makapu’u Meadows is the setting for a luau experience like none other
“Feel the Thrill” Makani is Hawaii’s most luxurious sailing adventure!
- Sunbathe at world famous Waikiki Beach and dine at local restaurants. Stay at Regency on Beachwalk Waikiki by Outrigger from $189/night.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Incredible customer service and the savings to match. Save on Everyday Low Rates. We’ll Pick you Up®
- $645+ Oahu: 3 Nights with air. Kids stay FREE PLUS buy one activity get one FREE!
- Kamaaina special: Book your summer staycation at Paradise Bay Resort. Save an additional 15% off web special rates. Make your reservation by May 31st
- Fly over mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, and the Pacific Ocean with Paradise Helicopters! Prices start at $179 per person.
- Touch, swim with, or even KISS a dolphin!
- Book early and save 10% for much more than a Luau
- Paradise Helicopters 10% off! See volcanoes, waterfalls & coastlines.
- Enjoy Mai Tais, Tiki Tinis, & live music at Tiki Bar & Grill
- Book 7 nights or more & receive 10% off at Hotel Coral Reef
- Save 25% when you add breakfast to your stay at Royal Lahaina
- Vacation in Waikiki from only $219/night.
- Feel the heat on our Kilauea Lava Hike starting from $179!
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – All Islands
- Private lanai in all rooms! BOOK NOW