- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Encounters
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Sports on Oahu
Hawaii is an ocean lover’s paradise, with the water sports on Oahu being among the best and most versatile of all the islands. Its nickname, “The Gathering Place,” is a fitting moniker, as so many tourists are attracted to its shores yearly by the sheer wealth of Oahu water sports available to enjoy. Read on to discover the best aquatic adventures on Hawaii’s most visited and populated isle.
Surfing is by far one of the Oahu water sports that attract visitors from all over the world. Especially in the winter swells season, this popular pastime finds wave riders ripping, from Waikiki to the famous seven-mile stretch on the North Shore.
Also among visitor favorites is snorkeling, with the waters of Sharks Cove and Hanauma Bay being the best bets. A close cousin to snorkeling, diving is one of the more physical and daring water sports on Oahu, with the convenient area of Waikiki offering a wealth of great spots to explore, among others.
Seafaring vessels are involved in a number of Oahu water activities as well, with various boat trips offered by island tour companies setting the scene for an all-inclusive ocean adventure. Among the most popular of these excursions include everything from romantic sunset cruises to deep sea fishing treks, whale watching outings, and more.
Kailua is the known hot spot for kayaking fanatics, although many areas on Oahu also offer kayak rentals and pristine waters—including Waikiki and Hawaii Kai—that are perfect for paddling to your heart’s content.
And speaking of paddling, the more calm waters of Waikiki, Hawaii Kai marina, and Haleiwa Boat Harbor are among the best spots for stellar standup paddling (SUP) conditions. Rentals are affordable and available island wide, no matter what area you choose to visit.
With Oahu weather conditions always keeping its crystal waters at a toasty tropical temperature, there’s just no excuse to not get out there and enjoy these abundance of ocean activities. So slather on that sunscreen, we’ll see you out there!
Water Sports Directory
Special Offer: Oahu private charter tours starting from $599! Choose from swimming with dolphins, sunset cruises, ocean activities & more
Matsumoto’s Shave Ice on the North Shore has the best tropical flavors and toppings.
- Must Try Snacks. Hand Picked by "It's A Hawaii Thing" Hosts. FREE SHIPPING.
- Oahu & Maui 6-night multi-island adventures, starting from $709
- Save up to 25%: Join the Emerald Club® so you can bypass the counter, choose your own car and get on your way fast
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,099
- The Suite Escape: Receive 4th Night FREE at Trump Waikiki
- From $89- West Oahu Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- $959 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- Try North Shore Oahu's famous shrimp plates from $14!
- Rent with Enterprise® for low car rental rates in Hawaii.
- Stop by Rainbow Drive-in for Hawaii’s comfort food, the plate lunch.
- $829 & up - 6-Nt. Maui & Kauai Island-Hopping Trip w/Air
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military