- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Encounters
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Oahu
For many travelers, a visit to the idyllic island paradise of Hawaiʻi just wouldn’t be complete without capitalizing on the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to swim with dolphins on Oʻahu. There are three main species of Naiʻa, the Hawaiian term for dolphins, that exist in the islands: spinner dolphins (the most common, known to frolic in daytime pods near shore), spotted dolphins (more often found among the channels between the islands versus nearer shore), and bottlenose dolphins (differentiated due to their much larger size and muted gray hue).
Unlike tropical whale watching, whose sightings tend to be more seasonal based on migration, Hawaiʻi dolphin encounters, including dolphin snorkels, as well as the chance to actually go swimming with dolphins on Oʻahu, are offered (and common) year-round. And although dolphins may be seen in the wild among many (if not most) of the waters surrounding the island, there are hosted dolphin excursions on Oʻahu, where one may better hedge their bets to ensure the chance to behold—and interact with—these beautiful beings in their natural habitats. Read more
The unanimous consensus, when polling those in the know, is that the calm and clear waters along the island’s Waiʻanae coast—including the concentrated areas of Makua Bay, Pokai Bay, and Kahe Point, particularly in the early morning hours—are the ideal locales to swim with dolphins on Oʻahu, as spinner dolphins especially are known to gather here often.These western waters are, for this reason, among the most popular to host guided dolphin tours in Oʻahu. Listed below are the most exciting dolphin excursions on Oʻahu, each boasting various options for those visiting and eager to interact with these magical aquatic mammals.
A great option for travelers interested in swimming with dolphins on Oʻahu is Hawaii Dolphin, showcasing a three-hour tour where clients may opt to either survey the dolphins, sea turtles, and more from the dry safety of the boat or jump in and enjoy some ocean water activities. Hawaii Dolphin also offers private charters, a great way to safely enjoy Hawaii’s ocean and marine life with your family and friends. Bring your own snacks and drinks to keep you refreshed and ready for the adventure that awaits you with Hawaii Dolphin.
Whichever dolphin excursion you decide to choose, swimming with these extraordinary mammals among the magical waters of Oʻahu is a memory that will last a lifetime.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
The freshest macadamias & premium coffees at the best prices
Matsumoto’s Shave Ice on the North Shore has the best tropical flavors and toppings.
Special Offer: Oahu private charter tours starting from $599! Choose from swimming with dolphins, sunset cruises, ocean activities & more
- Best of Hawaii 4-Island Tour 2021 departures starting at $1,999! SAVE $500 per couple on a 12-day guided tour with inter-island flights included.
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Oahu & Kauai Island-Hopping with Air & Room, from $869. for 6 nights
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- From $129 - Oahu Snorkel Sail: Snorkel at a calm & vibrant anchorage. In-water help by Lifeguard-certified crew. Breakfast, lunch and drinks included.
- $979 & up - 6-Nt. Maui & Kauai Island-Hopping Trip w/Air
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- $909 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- WAIKIKI ESCAPE Save up to 20% when you stay 3 or more nights
- From $89- West Oahu Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- From $1,339 - Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-Nts. w/Air
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Kauai Condo/Car Packages from as low as $142/nt.
- The freshest macadamias & premium coffees at the best prices
- Take an Unforgettable Dolphin Tour in Oahu with Dolphin Excursions