Water Activities on Oahu
Hawaii is an ocean lover’s paradise, with the water activities on Oahu being among the best and most versatile of all the islands. Its nickname, “The Gathering Place,” is a fitting moniker, as so many tourists are attracted to its shores yearly by the sheer wealth of Oahu water activities available to enjoy. Read on to discover the best aquatic adventures on Hawaii’s most visited and populated isle.
Surfing is by far one of the Oahu water sports that attract visitors from all over the world. Especially in the winter swells season, this popular pastime finds wave riders ripping, from Waikiki to the famous seven-mile stretch on the North Shore.
Also among visitor favorites is snorkeling, with the waters of Sharks Cove and Hanauma Bay being the best bets. A close cousin to snorkeling, diving is one of the more physical and daring of Oahu water sports, with the convenient area of Waikiki offering a wealth of great spots to explore, among others. Read more
As well as whale watching, lovers of ocean mammals will especially adore Oahu’s dolphin tour options, with Waianae—located on the island’s western shores—deemed the most desirous and ideal destination for spotting these graceful creatures in their natural habitat. Several tour companies offer guided adventures, providing you with an all-inclusive, hassle-free experience, plus an extraordinary Hawaii memory.
Kailua is the known hot spot for kayaking fanatics, although many areas on Oahu also offer kayak rentals and pristine waters—including Waikiki and Hawaii Kai—that are perfect for paddling to your heart’s content.
And speaking of paddling, the more calm waters of Waikiki, Hawaii Kai marina, and Haleiwa Boat Harbor are among the best spots for stellar standup paddling (SUP) conditions. Rentals are affordable and available island wide, no matter what area you choose to visit.
With Oahu weather conditions always keeping its crystal waters at a toasty tropical temperature, there’s just no excuse to not get out there and enjoy these abundance of ocean activities. So slather on that sunscreen, we’ll see you out there!
Featured Water Activities
Explore famous wartime monuments, memorials, and museums throughout Pearl Harbor
A feast in the company of friends, old and new. Bring your appetite to fully enjoy Paradise Cove’s extensive menu
Take a narrated nature hike to ancient rock terraces and mountain pools to view a hidden 200 foot waterfall.
World famous Sea Life Parks stunningly scenic Makapu’u Meadows is the setting for a luau experience like none other
Hawaii’s only water-theme amusement park and Hawaii’s #1 Family Attraction
Stops and sites may include Dole Visitor Center including Train Ride, Oahu’s North Shore and Ko’olauloa Coastline & more!
The young and young-at heart will be entertained by island folklore and history
- Kids Aquatic Adventure at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $199
- From $1,347 - 8-Night Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island Package w/Air, Flight Transfers, Hotels & Breakfast
- Take a 7-minute stroll to world famous Waikiki Beach. Enjoy best rates at OHANA Waikiki East from only $149/night.
- Fresh sushi made to order, a nice selection of fully cooked dishes, and a fun dining experience for the kids - all under one roof at Genki Sushi.
- $80+ Book Now & Explore authentic villages from 6 Pacific cultures as they demonstrate their arts, music, history and games
- National Car Rental: Take control of your Hawaii vacation
- 10% OFF KonaRed® Hawaiian Coffeeberry® products: code OHANA
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- National Car Rental: Save with National
- Vacation in Waikiki from only $219/night.
- Enjoy Wolfgang's superb Porterhouse Steak: $109.95 for two
- Discover Maui's historic Lahaina town from only $129/night!
- Kauai OCEANFRONT rooms: 5th nt. for $109 at Hotel Coral Reef
- Free Combat Flight Simulator at Pacific Aviation Museum.
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters tours on all islands starting from $148.50.