Water Activities on Oahu
Hawaii is an ocean lover’s paradise, with the water activities on Oahu being among the best and most versatile of all the islands. Its nickname, “The Gathering Place,” is a fitting moniker, as so many tourists are attracted to its shores yearly by the sheer wealth of Oahu water activities available to enjoy. Read on to discover the best aquatic adventures on Hawaii’s most visited and populated isle.
Surfing is by far one of the Oahu water sports that attract visitors from all over the world. Especially in the winter swells season, this popular pastime finds wave riders ripping, from Waikiki to the famous seven-mile stretch on the North Shore.
Also among visitor favorites is snorkeling, with the waters of Sharks Cove and Hanauma Bay being the best bets. A close cousin to snorkeling, diving is one of the more physical and daring of Oahu water sports, with the convenient area of Waikiki offering a wealth of great spots to explore, among others. Read more
As well as whale watching, lovers of ocean mammals will especially adore Oahu’s dolphin tour options, with Waianae—located on the island’s western shores—deemed the most desirous and ideal destination for spotting these graceful creatures in their natural habitat. Several tour companies offer guided adventures, providing you with an all-inclusive, hassle-free experience, plus an extraordinary Hawaii memory.
Kailua is the known hot spot for kayaking fanatics, although many areas on Oahu also offer kayak rentals and pristine waters—including Waikiki and Hawaii Kai—that are perfect for paddling to your heart’s content.
And speaking of paddling, the more calm waters of Waikiki, Hawaii Kai marina, and Haleiwa Boat Harbor are among the best spots for stellar standup paddling (SUP) conditions. Rentals are affordable and available island wide, no matter what area you choose to visit.
With Oahu weather conditions always keeping its crystal waters at a toasty tropical temperature, there’s just no excuse to not get out there and enjoy these abundance of ocean activities. So slather on that sunscreen, we’ll see you out there!
Featured Water Activities
The best cocktail and show in the heart of Waikiki and top value, too!
Live Hawaiian music set the festive mood of the evening
Swim with dolphins & fish in the wild. Save $10: code HIDEAL
RT transportation from Waikiki, 3 premium drink coupons, a souvenir photo & VIP seating in the Royal Box for the Luau
Hawaii’s only water-theme amusement park and Hawaii’s #1 Family Attraction
Makani is Hawaii’s most luxurious sailing adventure!
Featuring 2 snorkel sites among reef, sea turtles, and tropical fish
- From $973 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Night Trip Incl. Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- 20% off our Best Available Rates, complimentary WiFi, and NO resort fee when you book direct with Shoreline Hotel Waikiki!
- Paradise Bay Resort provides an unparralleled waterfront location for intimate wedding parties. Save 15% for up to 20 guests, valid through May 17.
- Surf and sun inspired Hawaiian bath and body products, Bungalow Glow's Premium Organic soy candles, and more from Bubble Shack Hawaii
- Kids Aquatic Adventure at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $199
- From $980 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Oahu Vacation w/Air & Hotels
- Escape to Oahu's secret island beach & enjoy kayaking & more
- Sweet 60: Sweet Offer for seniors at Kaanapali Beach Hotel!
- From $1,363 - Oahu, Kauai & Big Island 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- Handmade and all natural Hawaiian bath and body soaps
- Save $40 Daily, when you Pre-purchase at Royal Kona Resort
- Discover Maui's historic Lahaina town from only $129/night!
- From $972 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Kauai Vacation w/Air & Hotels
- 20% off our Best Available Rates - Shoreline Waikiki Hotel!
- Na Pali ocean raft adventure tours: Book online & save $10!