- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Shark Encounters
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Hiking on Oahu
Oʻahu is rich with hiking trails to waterfalls, through rainforests and with spectacular views for everyone from novice hikers to experts to historians, thrill seekers and families.
If you know where to go, most hikes can be done without a guide. Some can easily be reached with a short Uber or Lyft ride from Waikiki or even a shuttle service, if your hotel provides.
The most popular hike is the Diamond Head State Monument, just above the outskirts of Waikiki. Flip over a Hawaiʻi state quarter, and you’ll see this iconic crater overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It’s an easy hike except for the final 200 steps that are known to be steep. The payoff is an incredible view of the surrounding cities and skyline, as well as miles of pristine coastline.
Makapuu Point Lighthouse Trail
Another easy hike is the Makapuʻu Point lighthouse trail just past Sandy Beach on the east side of the island. It’s a paved, 1-mile trip to the top overlooking the lighthouse with stops along the way to whale watch during winter months. Makapuʻu is a child-friendly hike with a moderate incline.
For another easy climb with scenic views, check out the Lanikai Pillboxes trail above the Lanikai Loop. After a short trek to the top, hikers get an incredible view of the Mokulua Islands a mile offshore as well as Kailua, Enchanted Lake and the windward coast.
Aiea Loop Trail
Those ready for a more moderate, longer hike should check out the Aiea Loop trail, a 4.5-mile trail running through the Keaiwa Heiau State Recreation Area where remnants of a B-24 bomber that crashed in 1944 remain.
For a dip under a waterfall, Manoa Falls is a 1.6-mile trail through a rainforest to a 150-foot waterfall, while Maunawili Falls off the Pali Highway is a 3-mile trek through a rainforest and stream that can get muddy, but gives hikers the chance to bask in the water at the end.
Stairway to Heaven vs. Olomana Trail
Extreme hikers will be disappointed to learn that the Stairway to Heaven is closed and the entrance is guarded by security. But don’t sweat it; the nearby Three Peaks hike is a challenging replacement on the Olomana Trail. It’s a 4.1-mile trek with dangerously narrow ridges, steep inclines where ropes are needed, and a little rock climbing. This hike is not for beginners or the faint of heart. Once at the top you’ll have to do it all over again on the way down, so be prepared.
Group and Private Hiking Tours
There are hundreds of hiking trails and hidden waterfalls on Oʻahu, and tour companies such as Oahu Nature Tours, West Oahu SUP & Sport, Adventure Tours Hawaii offer group and private tours for more chances to explore.
On all O‘ahu hikes, remember to bring plenty of water and wear a hat and sunscreen because the tropical heat can be exhausting. Don’t leave any valuables in your car while hiking. Instead, put them in the trunk or take them along. And don’t forget an extra set of shoes because rainforest hikes can get muddy.
$20 Snorkel Set with Mask, Snorkel Tube and Fins and free ride to the Bay!
Pure cane rums made from heirloom variety sugarcane brought to Hawaii by Polynesian explorers
Plan a birthday party for kids and get $50 off when you book on a weekday (Mon-Thurs).
Capture your special day forever. Get 10% off weddings with promo code: HAWAII
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Ko Hana Rum Tasting Tour features one of the word's finest pure cane rums made from heirloom variety Polynesian sugar cane. Book your tour ($25)
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,089
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,369
- Join Atlantis Submarines 10ft below the ocean surface & discover the action happening in Hawaii’s waters! Click HERE to book your undersea adventure!
- Visit the Most Charming Cacao Farm in America & Save 10%!
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation!
- The largest studios & villas on Kauai starting at $389/night
- Island Hop with Hawaii’s favorite little airline, Mokulele Airlines.
- Annie’s Burgers Voted BEST BURGER 2011-2017 by WHT readers
- Only Island Helicopters can land you at Jurassic Falls.
- Grand Naniloa Resort: Young At Heart - Senior Rates
- Kauai Sea Tours takes you to remote beaches others cannot!
- Refuge Eco-Tour: Land at a secluded botanical preserve!
- $10 off your Kauai adventure with Nā Pali Riders