- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Sports on Maui
The next time you’re driving down the highway on Maui, take a look at all the toys stacked in the back of trucks: quivers of surfboards and paddleboards tightly strapped down on racks, sails, booms, harnesses, and paddles for windsurfing, kitesurfing or canoeing. Then, of course, there’s snorkeling gear and maybe a couple of scuba tanks to go along with a “three prong” for spearfishing or poles for casting from shore.
The ocean surrounding Maui is truly a playground and the number of different watersports can often be overwhelming. On a 10-day vacation to the Valley Isle, it’s possible to do a different watersport every day and still go home having only scratched the surface.
The most popular watersports on Maui include snorkeling at places like Molokini Crater, or riding waves as part of a surf lesson in Kīhei, Kā‘anapali or Lahaina. Even these standard offerings, however, have different sub-offerings to choose from like Snuba diving at Molokini Crater rather than snorkeling, or surfing in an outrigger canoe instead of on a regular board.
The sport of standup paddleboarding (SUP) is arguably the most popular watersport on Maui for visitors and locals alike. Morning hours are best for beginners since the ocean is usually calm, whereas afternoons are better for experienced paddlers who want thrilling “downwinders.”
Scuba diving is another popular watersport on Maui where you can explore everything from scuttled whaling ships to caves off the coast of Lāna‘i — even a sunken World War II bomber.
You can spend the morning paddling a kayak in search of Hawaiian green sea turtles or learn how to spearfish and help clear the reef of invasive species. There are even watersports on Maui like bodysurfing, where no equipment or money are required to splash around and have some fun in the sun.
That said, the caveat when it comes to watersports on Maui, is to know what’s going on with the weather ahead of time. Wind, waves and runoff can affect your ocean experience.
Famous Honolua Bay, for example, is the perfect venue for snorkeling and diving from May through the end of September. Honolua Bay in winter, however, is a place where snorkels are swapped for surfboards since waves can reach 20 feet. Rain, too, can affect conditions, as runoff from a deluge on the mountain can cloud visibility.
Molokini Crater is another place that’s greatly affected by conditions. The crater is perfect for snorkeling or diving during southern or easterly winds. When the wind direction turns north, however, the water becomes too rough and snorkeling tours are forced to look for more protected places.
North winds, on the other hand, are good for Kīhei “downwinders,” which brings us back to why you’ll see trucks stacked with so many toys. In a place like Maui, where there are so many options for having fun in the water, it’s best to be prepared for whichever way the wind blows.
Water Sports Directory
Friendly Charters – Maui Snorkeling Adventures and SNUBA
Snorkeling and SNUBA on the Lani Kai The Lani Kai…
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Adventure in a sub under the sea and get a kid’s ride free!
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Jaws (Peahi): Epic Maui Surf Break
The Valley Isle’s winter season ushers in dangerous and glorious…
- We Invite You To Experience Hawaiian & Polynesian Culture Through Music, Dance, & Storytelling. Enjoy A Spectacular Beachside Maui Luau.
- Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-night multi-island adventure, from $1,159
- One-Day Neighbor Island Tours from Honolulu - Maui, Kauai or the Big Isle!
- For the adventurous you - Holoikahiki Package including oceanview room, ocean adventure, breakfast, car rental and more.
- Enjoy A Spectacular Beachside Maui Luau. Choose A Complimentary 2nd Vacation From Dozens Of Resorts When Booking Groups Of 4+
- Exclusive Oahu Farm to Fork to Forest experience! From $170.
- 8 World-class, dual ziplines at CLIMB Works Keana Farms
- Seats sell out quickly @ Kauai Sea Tours: Book Today-$10 off
- Experience all of Oahu for $118 on an Island and You tour!
- Visit the Most Charming Cacao Farm in America & Save 10%!
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – All Islands
- Text "BeachAlerts" to 43766 now for current beach conditions
- Eat local, feel local with Island and You tours for $118!
- Royal Kona Experience Pkg w/Luau, cruise, breakfast! $325/nt
- Royal Lahaina Golfer’s Paradise Pkg w/4 rounds from $339/nt