- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on Maui
Snorkelers in Maui, if nothing else, are blissfully spoiled for choice.
With 120 miles of coastline, Maui has dozens of snorkeling spots that are rung by coral reefs, and hundreds of colorful species of fish that call the shoreline home. Take a look out over the sand, out towards the open blue, and you may spot eagle rays flying on by, or turtles surfacing for air, and it’s always fun when a camouflaged he‘e (octopus) darts out from its home in the rocks. Snorkeling on Maui means the possibility of new experiences each day, and in winter it all takes place to the soundtrack of whales singing in the distance.
One of the most popular places to a go snorkeling in Maui is Kā‘anapali Beach, at Pu‘u Keka‘a, also known as “Black Rock,” in front of the Sheraton resort. Here at this volcanic promontory that juts out into the waves, Hawaiian sea turtles nibble on limu (seaweed), and silvery schools of akule and chubs patrol the fringe of the reef. Kahekili Beach, just one mile north is another popular spot, since the large reef helps thin the crowds and fish are found in abundance.
Despite the wealth of options, however, that run along Maui’s coastline, none compare to the aquatic bonanza that’s found at Molokini Crater. Just three miles off the coast of South Maui, this volcanic caldera is home to over 200 species of fish—many of which are endemic to Hawaiʻi, only found here in the islands. Granted, because the spot is so popular, finding these different species of fish entails avoiding the crowds, so book a boat that gets there early before the onslaught begins. Even on days when the crater is crowded, the water clarity is reason enough to grab a mask and snorkel, and as is the case with snorkeling on Maui—and Molokini in particular—you never know what might swim by to put on an underwater show.
Friendly Charters – Maui Snorkeling Adventures and SNUBA
Snorkeling and SNUBA on the Lani Kai The Lani Kai…
Click now to make your own glass art! Save $5 w/ code HAWAII
Safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c vehicle & ferry passage from Maui!
Get $10 OFF jet ski activities on Maui when you book the EARLY BIRD ONLINE SPECIAL!
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,459
- Big Island & Maui 6-night multi-island adventure, starting from $1,139
- Saturdays at Down The Hatch Maui: Creative theme parties & late night events! Stellar cocktail menu, late night menu, along w/ great late night deals!
- Royal Lahaina Romance Pkg: Daily breakfast, Luau, private dinner, $150 food & beverage credit, & more! $499/nt
- Come ride in paradise! West Maui Cycles offers bike rentals as low as $8.50 per day - from cruisers to competition-level bikes available.
- From $205/night: Stay at condos on Kauai.
- Enjoy award-winning wine selections at Il Lupino
- From $200: Napali Coast tour + forbidden island snorkel
- Private lanai in all rooms! BOOK NOW
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates
- 17-Night Hawaii Cruise from $1,599 on Holland America Line
- NEW! Exclusive, in-depth volcano and lava tube experience!
- Kaanapali Ocean Inn breakfast, car, parking pkg from $259/nt
- Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach - Elevated for Everyone
- Sunset Sail with appetizers + comp champagne for $89!