- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on Maui
Snorkelers in Maui, if nothing else, are blissfully spoiled for choice.
With 120 miles of coastline, Maui has dozens of snorkeling spots that are rung by coral reefs, and hundreds of colorful species of fish that call the shoreline home. Take a look out over the sand, out towards the open blue, and you may spot eagle rays flying on by, or turtles surfacing for air, and it’s always fun when a camouflaged he‘e (octopus) darts out from its home in the rocks. Snorkeling on Maui means the possibility of new experiences each day, and in winter it all takes place to the soundtrack of whales singing in the distance.
One of the most popular places to a go snorkeling in Maui is Kā‘anapali Beach, at Pu‘u Keka‘a, also known as “Black Rock,” in front of the Sheraton resort. Here at this volcanic promontory that juts out into the waves, Hawaiian sea turtles nibble on limu (seaweed), and silvery schools of akule and chubs patrol the fringe of the reef. Kahekili Beach, just one mile north is another popular spot, since the large reef helps thin the crowds and fish are found in abundance.
Despite the wealth of options, however, that run along Maui’s coastline, none compare to the aquatic bonanza that’s found at Molokini Crater. Just three miles off the coast of South Maui, this volcanic caldera is home to over 200 species of fish—many of which are endemic to Hawaiʻi, only found here in the islands. Granted, because the spot is so popular, finding these different species of fish entails avoiding the crowds, so book a boat that gets there early before the onslaught begins. Even on days when the crater is crowded, the water clarity is reason enough to grab a mask and snorkel, and as is the case with snorkeling on Maui—and Molokini in particular—you never know what might swim by to put on an underwater show.
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c vehicle & ferry passage from Maui!
Inshore fishing trips utilize the fastest fishing vessels in Hawaii
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Are you an Amazing Maui Babe? Shop now for the best tanning lotions, sunscreen, & skincare products at Maui Babe! Get free shipping on all US orders $30 and more.
- Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour - SAVE up to $700 per couple, 2020 departures starting at $1,999! 13-day guided tour with inter-island flights included.
- Enjoy a Luau with the legends of Kāʻanapali and great food!
- Adventure Starts Here! Soar high through the canopy with Northshore Zipline on Maui - BOOK NOW from $119 per person!
- Shop rates w/3 car rental partners. Receive a discount
- Whale Watching season is ON @Ko Olina Ocean Adventures NOW!
- Made-to-Order Sushi Buffet at Kaku Sushi, Waikiki!
- Grand Naniloa Resort: Receive Military Discounts For Your Service
- Book Online & Save at Royal Lahaina Luau - $108 - BOOK NOW!
- Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii: SAVE 10% when booking 10 days in advance
- Save up to 15% on your Maui Vacation Condo!
- See the island of Lanai! 4x4 Trekker Tour from $186
- Join Haleiwa Shark Tours for an unforgettable experience.
- Enjoy Hawaiian cuisine made with ingredients produced locally