- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on Maui
Snorkelers in Maui, if nothing else, are blissfully spoiled for choice.
With 120 miles of coastline, Maui has dozens of snorkeling spots that are rung by coral reefs, and hundreds of colorful species of fish that call the shoreline home. Take a look out over the sand, out towards the open blue, and you may spot eagle rays flying on by, or turtles surfacing for air, and it’s always fun when a camouflaged he‘e (octopus) darts out from its home in the rocks. Snorkeling on Maui means the possibility of new experiences each day, and in winter it all takes place to the soundtrack of whales singing in the distance.
One of the most popular places to a go snorkeling in Maui is Kā‘anapali Beach, at Pu‘u Keka‘a, also known as “Black Rock,” in front of the Sheraton resort. Here at this volcanic promontory that juts out into the waves, Hawaiian sea turtles nibble on limu (seaweed), and silvery schools of akule and chubs patrol the fringe of the reef. Kahekili Beach, just one mile north is another popular spot, since the large reef helps thin the crowds and fish are found in abundance.
Despite the wealth of options, however, that run along Maui’s coastline, none compare to the aquatic bonanza that’s found at Molokini Crater. Just three miles off the coast of South Maui, this volcanic caldera is home to over 200 species of fish—many of which are endemic to Hawaiʻi, only found here in the islands. Granted, because the spot is so popular, finding these different species of fish entails avoiding the crowds, so book a boat that gets there early before the onslaught begins. Even on days when the crater is crowded, the water clarity is reason enough to grab a mask and snorkel, and as is the case with snorkeling on Maui—and Molokini in particular—you never know what might swim by to put on an underwater show.
Safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c vehicle & ferry passage from Maui!
- Oahu, Maui and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,329
- Start your water adventures with waterboys at Hale Huaka'i in Kāʻanapali Beach Hotel - Wa'a tour, Snorkeling tour & SUP lesson
- Visiting Hawaii is easy in a rental car from Alamo®. Minivans, economy cars, SUV's and more, Alamo has the rental car for your visit to Hawaii.
- Day trip from Maui to Lanai on the ferry! Explore the island, golf, snorkel and more! Book your activities and ferry trip! $30 each way (adults)
- Learn the hula, make a lei, talk story with our cultural specialist... Make your Maui vacation a cultural immersion
- Lanai safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c from $186
- The freshest macadamias & premium coffees at the best prices
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- $909 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- Find exclusive Hawaii charms at PANDORA in Ala Moana Center.
- The Suite Escape: Receive 4th Night FREE at Trump Waikiki
- Get Hawaii's Premium High Performance Natural Zinc Sunscreen
- $99 Big Island dolphin tour! Buy now, plan later & save BIG!
- Rent with Enterprise® for low car rental rates in Hawaii.