- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Walking Tours on Maui
They say you see more by slowing down. That’s exactly why you should spend a day on a walking tour on Maui.
On an island awash in adventure activities, it’s easy to do too much, rushing through an entire vacation — the experience ends up being shallow compared to taking it slow. By joining a Maui walking tour, you can connect with the island’s native culture and taste its local flavors. You’ll leave with a deeper sense of place that fortifies your visit.
For History Buffs
Of all the different walking tours on Maui, the best choice for Hawaiian history is Maui Nei Native Expeditions. The 2-hour tour takes place in Lahaina, which was once the capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom during the 19th century. In addition to visiting historical sites like ancient Hawaiian birthing stones, the tour also visits Moku‘ula — an inland island once reserved for royalty that’s now buried beneath grassy fields (restoration projects are underway, however, to help it rise again). For a fully immersive cultural experience, you can also upgrade to a 3-hour tour that includes participating in traditional Hawaiian arts.
For a food and walking tour on Maui, Local Tastes of Maui has tours of Makawao, Pā‘ia, Lahaina, and Kīhei, where you can literally taste the island’s eclectic, multi-cultural heritage. Because of the sugar and pineapple industries, immigrants were hired from around the globe to work on the plantations; with them came their recipes and meals that you’ll find throughout the island today.
For Nature Lovers
If you’d rather learn which plants are edible while walking through the rainforest, Hike Maui offers guided hikes that not only visit hidden waterfalls, but also discuss the island’s history, as well as its native plants.
The Fully Customizable Private Tour
For a more personalized Maui walking tour, Open Eye Tours offers private excursions that are completely customizable. So, if you’re into Hawaiian music and dance, you can arrange a tour that meets with a local hula hālau (hula school), or visit the island’s sacred sites if you’re fascinated by ancient legends. Because the tours are completely private, they carry a higher price point but you walk away with an enriching and fulfilling experience of Maui.
The DIY Walking Tour
Finally, for the budget conscious visitor to Maui who wants to create their own walking tour, the oceanfront boardwalk at Kā‘anapali has historical markers with the area’s history, complete with black and white photos. The Wailea boardwalk also has a couple of historical placards, as does the oceanfront, self-guided walk at Waihe‘e Coastal Dunes and Wetlands Refuge.
Walking Tours Directory
Click now to make your own glass art! Save $5 w/ code HAWAII
Adventure in a sub under the sea and get a kid’s ride free!
Ocean-side lawns, tropical gardens or banquet rooms available. Up to 400 guests.
Discover South Maui’s Rich Heritage
From the historic McGregor Point lighthouse to the Ko’ie’ie Fishpond…
- Kaanapali Ocean Inn Spirit of Aloha Pkg: Bundle room, breakfast, rental car, & parking and save $65 per day! $279/nt
- Book Online & Save including Receive FREE Parking and a FREE Photo at Royal Lahaina Luau! BOOK NOW from $108.
- Island Helicopters offers the best rates on Kauai’s 50-55 minute circle-island helicopter tour! Check out their website or call direct.
- Enjoy A FREE 2nd Honeymoon On Us When You Book Your Wedding Anywhere in Hawaii. Featuring Hawaiian Musicians, Dancers, Ceremony & More.
- Choose from over 300 Hawaiian island tours; relive history at Pearl Harbor, snorkle beautiful reefs, experience luaus, visit ancient volcanos & more!
- Island Feet are happy feet! Orthotic footwear - SHOP NOW!
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Haleakala Sunset & Stargazing Tour - $180/person - BOOK NOW!
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- MAUI'S BEST LUAU - Old Lahaina Luau - BOOK NOW!
- Grand Naniloa Resort: Free golf with every stay!
- A Local Favorite: Music, Cocktails & Cuisine at Blue Note
- Lanai safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c from $180.96!
- IL LUPINO, Waikiki - high-end Italian lunch specials $10
- Visit the Most Charming Cacao Farm in America & Save 10%!