- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Walking Tours on Maui
They say you see more by slowing down. That’s exactly why you should spend a day on a walking tour on Maui.
On an island awash in adventure activities, it’s easy to do too much, rushing through an entire vacation — the experience ends up being shallow compared to taking it slow. By joining a Maui walking tour, you can connect with the island’s native culture and taste its local flavors. You’ll leave with a deeper sense of place that fortifies your visit.
For History Buffs
Of all the different walking tours on Maui, the best choice for Hawaiian history is Maui Nei Native Expeditions. The 2-hour tour takes place in Lahaina, which was once the capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom during the 19th century. In addition to visiting historical sites like ancient Hawaiian birthing stones, the tour also visits Moku‘ula — an inland island once reserved for royalty that’s now buried beneath grassy fields (restoration projects are underway, however, to help it rise again). For a fully immersive cultural experience, you can also upgrade to a 3-hour tour that includes participating in traditional Hawaiian arts.
For a food and walking tour on Maui, Local Tastes of Maui has tours of Makawao, Pā‘ia, Lahaina, and Kīhei, where you can literally taste the island’s eclectic, multi-cultural heritage. Because of the sugar and pineapple industries, immigrants were hired from around the globe to work on the plantations; with them came their recipes and meals that you’ll find throughout the island today.
For Nature Lovers
If you’d rather learn which plants are edible while walking through the rainforest, Hike Maui offers guided hikes that not only visit hidden waterfalls, but also discuss the island’s history, as well as its native plants.
The Fully Customizable Private Tour
For a more personalized Maui walking tour, Open Eye Tours offers private excursions that are completely customizable. So, if you’re into Hawaiian music and dance, you can arrange a tour that meets with a local hula hālau (hula school), or visit the island’s sacred sites if you’re fascinated by ancient legends. Because the tours are completely private, they carry a higher price point but you walk away with an enriching and fulfilling experience of Maui.
The DIY Walking Tour
Finally, for the budget conscious visitor to Maui who wants to create their own walking tour, the oceanfront boardwalk at Kā‘anapali has historical markers with the area’s history, complete with black and white photos. The Wailea boardwalk also has a couple of historical placards, as does the oceanfront, self-guided walk at Waihe‘e Coastal Dunes and Wetlands Refuge.
Walking Tours Directory
Safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c vehicle & ferry passage from Maui!
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Discover South Maui’s Rich Heritage
From the historic McGregor Point lighthouse to the Ko’ie’ie Fishpond…
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,419
- Best Romantic Getaway in the heart of Lahaina Town - stay at The Plantation Inn and enjoy the best French food at Gerard's
- Let us plan your destination wedding on Maui! Check out the beautiful Kāʻanapali Beach Weddings.
- Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour – SAVE $500 per couple on all 2020 departures! 12 days starting at $2,099!
- Save $30 Daily! Pre-purchase breakfast, car, and parking at Royal Lahaina Resort
- Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii: SAVE 10% when booking 10 days in advance
- All-You-Can-Eat Sushi Buffet at Kaku Sushi, Waikiki!
- Island Helicopters offers the best rates on Kauai!
- Kids 2-11 swim with dolphins for $114 with code HIDEAL!
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Maui Babe® lotions love your skin! Get yours today!
- Hawaiian Music, Rock, Pop, Reggae & Comedy at Blue Note
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- From $1,159 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- 7-Day Hawaiian Escape from $1,099! SAVE $500 per couple!