- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Walking Tours on Maui
They say you see more by slowing down. That’s exactly why you should spend a day on a walking tour on Maui.
On an island awash in adventure activities, it’s easy to do too much, rushing through an entire vacation — the experience ends up being shallow compared to taking it slow. By joining a Maui walking tour, you can connect with the island’s native culture and taste its local flavors. You’ll leave with a deeper sense of place that fortifies your visit.
For History Buffs
Of all the different walking tours on Maui, the best choice for Hawaiian history is Maui Nei Native Expeditions. The 2-hour tour takes place in Lahaina, which was once the capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom during the 19th century. In addition to visiting historical sites like ancient Hawaiian birthing stones, the tour also visits Moku‘ula — an inland island once reserved for royalty that’s now buried beneath grassy fields (restoration projects are underway, however, to help it rise again). For a fully immersive cultural experience, you can also upgrade to a 3-hour tour that includes participating in traditional Hawaiian arts.
For a food and walking tour on Maui, Local Tastes of Maui has tours of Makawao, Pā‘ia, Lahaina, and Kīhei, where you can literally taste the island’s eclectic, multi-cultural heritage. Because of the sugar and pineapple industries, immigrants were hired from around the globe to work on the plantations; with them came their recipes and meals that you’ll find throughout the island today.
For Nature Lovers
If you’d rather learn which plants are edible while walking through the rainforest, Hike Maui offers guided hikes that not only visit hidden waterfalls, but also discuss the island’s history, as well as its native plants.
The Fully Customizable Private Tour
For a more personalized Maui walking tour, Open Eye Tours offers private excursions that are completely customizable. So, if you’re into Hawaiian music and dance, you can arrange a tour that meets with a local hula hālau (hula school), or visit the island’s sacred sites if you’re fascinated by ancient legends. Because the tours are completely private, they carry a higher price point but you walk away with an enriching and fulfilling experience of Maui.
The DIY Walking Tour
Finally, for the budget conscious visitor to Maui who wants to create their own walking tour, the oceanfront boardwalk at Kā‘anapali has historical markers with the area’s history, complete with black and white photos. The Wailea boardwalk also has a couple of historical placards, as does the oceanfront, self-guided walk at Waihe‘e Coastal Dunes and Wetlands Refuge.
Walking Tours Directory
Whalewatch with the experts on Maui's top-rated ecotour and see these amazing creatures in their natural wild habitat. Book & Save 10%
See recent volcanic activity on Hawaii Island or the tallest sea cliffs in the world of Molokai.
Adventure in a sub under the sea and get a kid’s ride free!
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Safari-style 4x4 Trekker Tour with a/c vehicle & ferry passage from Maui!
Discover South Maui’s Rich Heritage
From the historic McGregor Point lighthouse to the Ko’ie’ie Fishpond…
- Visit the USS Arizona Memorial and take a 120-mile tour of Oahu Island from $97.99. Tours from Maui, Kauai and Big Island start at $329.99.
- Reserve the Royal Lahaina’s Myths of Maui Luau Show from $115 per person
- Explore Haleakala: Three Ways to Experience the Volcano
- Click now to make your own glass art! Save $5 with Promo Code HAWAII
- Hawaiian Escape from only $999 - 7 Days Two Island Escorted Tour with inter-island flight! SAVE $1,300 per couple on select departures!
- Zip, trek and rappel on the island’s ONLY canopy course!
- Kids 2-11 swim with dolphins for $114 with code HIDEAL!
- Hawaii Tours: Choose from over 300 tours across all islands
- Lanai Snorkel & Dolphin Tour on Maui from $26.74 - BOOK NOW!
- Royal Lahaina Resort’s Myths of Maui Luau Special: $115pp
- Life Vest/Flotation Device Rentals for $5!
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Get great prices
- Try North Shore Oahu's famous shrimp plates from $14!
- 15% Off: Snorkel the reefs off Kailua Beach & Lanikai Beach
- Snorkel by day, Luau at night! Combo starting at $215.