Biking on Maui
With all of the beaches, surfing, snorkeling, diving, kitesurfing, and paddling, Maui isn’t a place that’s generally known for land recreation.
The truth, however, is that biking on Maui is better than most people expect—and a pleasant surprise for visiting cyclists who want to explore on two wheels.
The most famous ride on Maui, of course, is biking down Haleakalā, where visitors can ride over 6,000 feet down the slopes of the dormant volcano. Many of these tours are combined with watching the sunrise at Haleakalā Crater, and finish by biking all the way down to the beach at Pā‘ia Bay. Along the 25-mile route, cyclists pass through pastoral scenes of farmland, ranches, and forests, and usually stop in the historic town of Makawao for breakfast.
Aside from biking down Haleakalā, other popular road cycling routes include circling the West Maui Mountains and riding along the 620 curves on the famous road to Hāna. On weekend mornings, groups of local cyclists gather to ride past Ulupalakua Ranch, starting from Kula and then biking back for coffee at Grandma’s Coffee House.
For visitors interested in mountain biking on Maui, the team at Krank Cycles cut seven different trails in the trees of the Makawao Forest Reserve, which offer everything from technical single track to quad-burning climbs and a skills park. Surrounded by the scent of eucalyptus and pine, riders can get their heart rate up with a 30-minute climb up the mountain before dropping down over 1,300 feet on the fast and well-groomed trails.
If it’s been raining too much in Makawao, there’s an entire network of mountain biking trails in the Kula Forest Reserve, which range from hunting roads to steep single tracks and trails through towering redwoods. The air is cool here at 6,000 feet, and by riding all the way up the switchbacks of rutted Skyline Drive, it’s even possible to mountain bike all the way to Haleakala’s summit.
Tour 50 acres of rare & endangered tropical plants
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise on CruiseDirect & Save!
- Join the KonaRed® e-newsletter to get the latest specials and updates about the Hawaiian Coffeeberry® superfruit!
- $499 per person - Experience a Volcano Air Tour that takes you over the coastlines of Maui and the Big Island with views of current volcanic activity!
- 10% Off: Tour 50 acres of rare & endangered tropical plants
- Partial Ocean View Room+Whale Watch Tour+Daily Car Rental+MORE=A Whale of a Time!
- Award-winning Chinese cuisine - vegetarian dishes available!
- 2018 Calendars from Japan at Iida’s Hawaii - SHOP NOW!
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- World famous diving, top quality instruction - Kona Coast
- Custom North Shore, Oahu day tour - paddle a canoe and more!
- Escape to Maui from only $135/night!
- All Inclusive Hawaii Vacation Packages From $970 Per Person
- Save 20% when you book online at Pacific Aviation Museum.
- Relaxed Surf Luxury, Easy Booking and Access to our Lowest rates.
- Book a snorkel cruise in Waikiki aboard a custom catamaran!