- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Biking on Maui
With all of the beaches, surfing, snorkeling, diving, kitesurfing, and paddling, Maui isn’t a place that’s generally known for land recreation.
The truth, however, is that biking on Maui is better than most people expect—and a pleasant surprise for visiting cyclists who want to explore on two wheels.
The most famous ride on Maui, of course, is biking down Haleakalā, where visitors can ride over 6,000 feet down the slopes of the dormant volcano. Many of these tours are combined with watching the sunrise at Haleakalā Crater, and finish by biking all the way down to the beach at Pā‘ia Bay. Along the 25-mile route, cyclists pass through pastoral scenes of farmland, ranches, and forests, and usually stop in the historic town of Makawao for breakfast.
Aside from biking down Haleakalā, other popular road cycling routes include circling the West Maui Mountains and riding along the 620 curves on the famous road to Hāna. On weekend mornings, groups of local cyclists gather to ride past Ulupalakua Ranch, starting from Kula and then biking back for coffee at Grandma’s Coffee House.
For visitors interested in mountain biking on Maui, the team at Krank Cycles cut seven different trails in the trees of the Makawao Forest Reserve, which offer everything from technical single track to quad-burning climbs and a skills park. Surrounded by the scent of eucalyptus and pine, riders can get their heart rate up with a 30-minute climb up the mountain before dropping down over 1,300 feet on the fast and well-groomed trails.
If it’s been raining too much in Makawao, there’s an entire network of mountain biking trails in the Kula Forest Reserve, which range from hunting roads to steep single tracks and trails through towering redwoods. The air is cool here at 6,000 feet, and by riding all the way up the switchbacks of rutted Skyline Drive, it’s even possible to mountain bike all the way to Haleakala’s summit.
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- Delight in our tasty filet with shrimp & a glass of cabernet at Ruths' Chris Lahaina, Wailea, Mauna Lani and Kauai Restaurants.
- Island Helicopters offers the best rates on Kauai’s 50-55 minute circle-island helicopter tour! Check out their website or call direct.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Incredible customer service and the savings to match. Save on Everyday Low Rates. We’ll Pick you Up®
- Perfect Steaks. Perfect Drinks. Hand-Selected Pairings, Just Some Of Ruth's Many Talents. Join Us At Ruth's Chris Steak House.
- Sunday Night Trivia at Down the Hatch Maui starts at 10PM!
- Luxury vacation rentals on the golden Kona Coast - BOOK NOW!
- Fish for tilapia, grass carp, catfish & prawns at Ali’i Agricultural Farms
- Seats sell out quickly @ Kauai Sea Tours: Book Today-$10 off
- Maui's Longest Running Ocean Front Luau - Royal Lahaina Luau
- Explore the mysteries of the universe at Stars Above Hawaii
- Reserve now with National® and be the boss of your getaway.
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Explore the island
- From $1029 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Maui Package w/Air & Hotels
- Kauai’s Real Dirt Shirts in Waimea, starting at $10