Win a trip to Hawaii
Sign up for FREE and enter for a chance to win!
Find the pineapple and win!
Tip: This Kauai attraction is one of the wettest spots on earth.
Save on Hawaii Activities
Luau, whale watching and more
Top 5 Beaches on Maui
As an island chain, Hawaii is home to hundreds of beaches, each possessing its own set of unique qualities. What makes one beach great for surfers and water-sport enthusiasts does not necessarily make for a great destination for families or vacationers looking to relax on the shore.
To help narrow down the search for the your own personal perfect beach destination, the following list is a compilation of what are widely agreed to be the top five beaches on Maui.
Similar to Waikiki Beach, Kaʻanapali Beach is a hotbed of activity due to its location among Kaʻanapali Resort and the many other hotels that sit along the shore. The 1.5-mile-long Kaʻanapali Beach, however, is far less crowded than its Oahu counterpart, only feeling the strain of the masses during busy seasons such as Christmas. Located in West Maui, Kaʻanapali Beach was once a retreat for Hawaiian royalty and today is often called one of the best beaches on Maui, thanks to its wide array of beach activities, including seasonal parasailing, surfing, volleyball and sailing. On the north end of the beach is Black Rock, a renowned snorkeling destination and home to a cliff diving ceremony that happens every day at sunset.
Hidden between Wailea and Kihei sits the lovely Keawakapu Beach. This secret south Maui paradise is an ideal getaway from the crowds of the islands’ larger, more populated beaches. Don’t let its small size fool you; Keawakapu has consistently good swimming conditions year-round, and its abundance of soft, white sand lends equally well to sunbathers and children wishing to build a sandcastle empire. An underwater reef just off the right side of the beach also offers a great snorkeling opportunity.
With its beautiful sand and protected bay lined by palm trees and lava rock, Kapalua Beach is one of the most popular beaches in the state. In fact, this northwestern beach, located mere minutes from the historic whaling port of Lahaina, has consistently ranked among the top beaches in the nation by numerous travel publications. And it’s little wonder why Kapalua remains a favorite beach for many families with young children. The calm waters offer great swimming, and natural tide pools give children the opportunity to see sea creatures up close. During the winter months, it is common to see whales migrating in the deeper waters. The nearby Shopping Village and hotels also offer ample shopping, dining and entertainment options.
An extension of Kaanapali Beach, Kahekili Beach is actually separated from the busier and bigger Kaanapali by 250 yards of lava rock and a hotel. Named after the last king of Maui, Kahekili Beach is an ideal spot for snorkeling and scuba diving. Hidden rocks and strong currents, however, make this a dangerous spot for swimmers. The expansive, well-groomed sand beach also makes this a nice picnicking area.
A charming beach with great swimming conditions, Napili Bay is well known for its golden sand, great snorkeling and picture-perfect sunsets. Located in Lahaina next to the Napili Kai Resort, the beach’s large expanse of sand and gentle surf provide a great excuse for families looking to spend an entire day at the beach.
Ocean Safety Message Brought to You by Kona Community Hospital
Let’s keep it fun — and safe — by following a few ocean safety tips. Remember to swim in a designated swimming area protected by lifeguards. For a list of lifeguarded beaches, go to hawaiibeachsafety.com. When at the beach, always check for warning flags. Obey lifeguard instructions or ask them about water conditions, which can be unpredictable. Young children or inexperienced swimmers should wear life jackets in and the around water. Larger waves and ocean currents can surprise even the strongest swimmers. So, keep an eye on children as well as elderly persons. They can easily stumble, even in shallow water, when large waves come ashore. Snorkeling? Get a buddy to go with you and learn basic skills before getting in the water.
Let’s keep it fun — and safe — while enjoying Hawaii’s beautiful beaches. This ocean safety message is brought to you by the Kona Community Hospital Trauma Injury Prevention Program. Visit kch.hhsc.org for details.
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recent most reacted articles
Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Makes Progress Toward Sept. 22 Reopening
This time-lapse video shows Halema‘uma‘u crater and Kilauea caldera in…
Six New Fall Restaurants to Satiate Your Cravings
From brunch to butchery and the latest tequila bar, here’s…
Activity Discounts & Specials
Get discounts and specials on Hawaii activities and attractions from Hawaii.com, right in your email inbox — it's FREE!
- Rental Cars
- From $79 - Every December - April, thousands of Humpback whales migrate to the warm waters of Hawaii. See whales in Kona "guaranteed" or ride again.
- Spacious apartment-style accommodations & stunning views of Diamond Head. Enjoy our best rates starting at $169/night at Waikiki Shore by Outrigger!
- Order your Wedding Leis at HawaiiFlowerLei.com. Fresh, custom made Wedding Leis hand delivered or shipped in our exclusive lei cooler, Nationwide!
- Enjoy drink and food “huki pau” specials at Harbor Restaurant at Pier 38 - daily 2pm to 5pm
- Visit the USS Arizona Memorial and take a 120-mile tour of Oahu Island from $129.99. Tours from Maui, Kauai and Big Island start at $429.99.
- Handmade and all natural Hawaiian bath and body soaps
- Kauai’s Waimea Plantation Cottages From $199 Per Room Night!
- Save 9% off your condo vacation rental when you book direct!
- Stay at Royal Sea Cliff Kona by Outrigger on the Big Island!
- From $205/night: Stay at condos on Kauai.
- Don’t forget to book your Airport Lei Greeting! Book Now
- Swim in Poipu Beach on Kauai! Book rooms from $169/night!
- Use code DIVE15 for $15 OFF a 2 Tank SCUBA Dive.
- Enjoy an award-winning Sunday Champagne Brunch on Maui!
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE Bottle of Champagne