Family Activities on Lanai
Imagine adjusting the rubber strap on the back of your child’s mask as you sit by the edge of a protected tide pool that teems with colorful fish or playing in the grass of a large central park, venturing over to the playground equipment or kicking around a ball, before settling in for a night at the movies at an historic community theater.
While the island itself might not be very big, there are a number of family activities on Lānaʻi that children of all ages can enjoy. At Hulopo‘e Beach Park in front of the Four Seasons, teach your kids how to breathe through a snorkel in the calm, protected tide pools before venturing out to the “bigger pool” in search of fish on the reef. Older children can boogie board the shore break or simply splash in the waves, while parents look out for spinner dolphins or prepare a picnic in the shade. For a family portrait that could be your next Christmas card, enjoy the easy, 10-minute hike to Pu‘u Pehe overlook, where the iconic volcanic rock formation rises up from the ocean below you.
For a quirky and cuddly family activity, spend some time at the Lānaʻi Cat Sanctuary helping care for hundreds of cats, whether it’s feeding, grooming, or simply petting the rescued “Hawaiian Lions.” For a more traditional family adventure—particularly with older children—rent a 4×4 Jeep for the day and explore the island’s east shore, searching for petroglyphs hidden in the forest and hiking to Shipwreck Beach. At the abandoned ghost town of Keomoku Village, stop to photograph the hauntingly beautiful Ka Lanakila Church, or using an iPhone or Android phone, download the informative app, “Lanai Guide,” to scour the village for historical sites that are hidden back in the trees. Drive the Jeep to Kahalepalaoa and walk down the white sand beach, where you’ll likely have the palm groves and shoreline completely all to yourself.
With all of these family activities on Lānaʻi, it’s easy to see why a day trip from Maui is such a popular option for visitors, or a three-day getaway from Honolulu to relax, untether and bond. There’s a wholesome simplicity here on Lānaʻi beneath the Cook Island pines, and a small town, tight knit, community feel where families are always welcome.
Family Activities Directory
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- REOPENING Dec 20th - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau - BOOK NOW
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Aloha Hawaiian Vacations’ Original All-Inclusive Packages from $970 per person including Hotel, Transfers, Breakfasts, Most Meals & Activities
- Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour 2021 departures starting at $2,099! SAVE $500 per couple. Visit 4 islands in 12 days with an extended stay on Oahu.
- 12-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour in 2021 from $1,999!
- $729 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- 12-Day Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour in 2021 from $2,099
- From $719 - Oahu & Kauai, 6-Nt Multi-Island Adventure
- From $1,089 - Oahu, Kona & Hilo 6-Nt Island-Hop Adventure
- From $89- West Oahu Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- Shop Kauai Coffee Company's outstanding coffee
- Private powerboat charters in Kona - $540 per hour
- REOPENING Dec 20th - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau
- From $79 - Whales Guaranteed Sail (Seasonal)