Family Activities on Lanai
Imagine adjusting the rubber strap on the back of your child’s mask as you sit by the edge of a protected tide pool that teems with colorful fish or playing in the grass of a large central park, venturing over to the playground equipment or kicking around a ball, before settling in for a night at the movies at an historic community theater.
While the island itself might not be very big, there are a number of family activities on Lānaʻi that children of all ages can enjoy. At Hulopo‘e Beach Park in front of the Four Seasons, teach your kids how to breathe through a snorkel in the calm, protected tide pools before venturing out to the “bigger pool” in search of fish on the reef. Older children can boogie board the shore break or simply splash in the waves, while parents look out for spinner dolphins or prepare a picnic in the shade. For a family portrait that could be your next Christmas card, enjoy the easy, 10-minute hike to Pu‘u Pehe overlook, where the iconic volcanic rock formation rises up from the ocean below you.
For a quirky and cuddly family activity, spend some time at the Lānaʻi Cat Sanctuary helping care for hundreds of cats, whether it’s feeding, grooming, or simply petting the rescued “Hawaiian Lions.” For a more traditional family adventure—particularly with older children—rent a 4×4 Jeep for the day and explore the island’s east shore, searching for petroglyphs hidden in the forest and hiking to Shipwreck Beach. At the abandoned ghost town of Keomoku Village, stop to photograph the hauntingly beautiful Ka Lanakila Church, or using an iPhone or Android phone, download the informative app, “Lanai Guide,” to scour the village for historical sites that are hidden back in the trees. Drive the Jeep to Kahalepalaoa and walk down the white sand beach, where you’ll likely have the palm groves and shoreline completely all to yourself.
With all of these family activities on Lānaʻi, it’s easy to see why a day trip from Maui is such a popular option for visitors, or a three-day getaway from Honolulu to relax, untether and bond. There’s a wholesome simplicity here on Lānaʻi beneath the Cook Island pines, and a small town, tight knit, community feel where families are always welcome.
Family Activities Directory
Visit the USS Arizona Memorial and take a 120-mile tour of Oahu Island
Book 2 tours and get 15% off the second tour!
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
Capture your special day forever. Get 10% off weddings with promo code: HAWAII
Swim with dolphins & fish in the wild. Save $10: code HIDEAL
- Day trip from Maui to Lanai on the ferry! Explore the island, golf, snorkel and more! Book your activities and ferry trip! $30 each way (adults)
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- Island Helicopters offers unique tours around this tropical paradise; including one of Hawaii’s most elite tours, the Jurassic Falls Landing Adventure
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Order your Wedding Leis at HawaiiFlowerLei.com. Fresh, custom made Wedding Leis hand delivered or shipped in our exclusive lei cooler, Nationwide!
- Paradise Helicopters 10% off! See volcanoes, waterfalls & coastlines.
- Catch the ferry between Maui & Lanai! $30 each way (adult
- Experience Kauai’s Best Ziplining, ATV’s, and Bass Fishing!
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Get great prices
- Grand Naniloa Resort: the home of hula, art and culture!
- $969 & up - 6-Nt. Maui & Kauai Island-Hopping Trip w/Air
- Find exclusive Hawaii charms at PANDORA in Ala Moana Center.
- 50% OFF & Free Breakfast at Oahu's tropical, boutique resort
- Luxury vacation rentals on the golden Kona Coast - BOOK NOW!
- "Best of Hanalei” Luau every Wednesday - Discounts Offered