Family Activities on Lanai
Imagine adjusting the rubber strap on the back of your child’s mask as you sit by the edge of a protected tide pool that teems with colorful fish or playing in the grass of a large central park, venturing over to the playground equipment or kicking around a ball, before settling in for a night at the movies at an historic community theater.
While the island itself might not be very big, there are a number of family activities on Lānaʻi that children of all ages can enjoy. At Hulopo‘e Beach Park in front of the Four Seasons, teach your kids how to breathe through a snorkel in the calm, protected tide pools before venturing out to the “bigger pool” in search of fish on the reef. Older children can boogie board the shore break or simply splash in the waves, while parents look out for spinner dolphins or prepare a picnic in the shade. For a family portrait that could be your next Christmas card, enjoy the easy, 10-minute hike to Pu‘u Pehe overlook, where the iconic volcanic rock formation rises up from the ocean below you.
For a quirky and cuddly family activity, spend some time at the Lānaʻi Cat Sanctuary helping care for hundreds of cats, whether it’s feeding, grooming, or simply petting the rescued “Hawaiian Lions.” For a more traditional family adventure—particularly with older children—rent a 4×4 Jeep for the day and explore the island’s east shore, searching for petroglyphs hidden in the forest and hiking to Shipwreck Beach. At the abandoned ghost town of Keomoku Village, stop to photograph the hauntingly beautiful Ka Lanakila Church, or using an iPhone or Android phone, download the informative app, “Lanai Guide,” to scour the village for historical sites that are hidden back in the trees. Drive the Jeep to Kahalepalaoa and walk down the white sand beach, where you’ll likely have the palm groves and shoreline completely all to yourself.
With all of these family activities on Lānaʻi, it’s easy to see why a day trip from Maui is such a popular option for visitors, or a three-day getaway from Honolulu to relax, untether and bond. There’s a wholesome simplicity here on Lānaʻi beneath the Cook Island pines, and a small town, tight knit, community feel where families are always welcome.
Family Activities Directory
Book 2 tours and get 15% off the second tour!
Explore everything the greater Waikiki area has to offer! 8am-5pm
Are you considering diving? Not yet Scuba certified? Not to worry, we have you covered. You can experience Scuba diving for the first time on a Discover Scuba Dive (DSD)one tank dive.
Fly over mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, and the Pacific Ocean.
- Only with Island Helicopters can visitors land at Manawaiopuna Falls and feel the awesome power of the waterfall made famous in Jurassic Park.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Incredible customer service and the savings to match. Save on Everyday Low Rates. We’ll Pick you Up®
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car® offers locations throughout Hawaii in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaneohe, and more. Low rates, and award winning service. Book now!
- Save up to 25%: Join the Emerald Club® so you can bypass the counter, choose your own car and get on your way fast
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- From $1,439 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels
- Book Online & Save at Royal Lahaina Luau - $108 - BOOK NOW!
- Grand Naniloa Resort: Kamaaina Exclusive Savings. Save up to 12%
- Get Hawaii's Premium High Performance Natural Zinc Sunscreen
- New Year ~ New You! Book at Castle Resorts & Hotels and get up to 35% off for stays through 11/30/20! Hurry, offer ends 1/27/19
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates
- SAVE $30 at Jack Harter Helicopters - BOOK NOW
- Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii: SAVE 10% when booking 10 days in advance
- From $1029 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Maui Package w/Air & Hotels
- Send Flowers Hawaiian-Style! Nationwide delivery.