Family Activities on Lanai
Imagine adjusting the rubber strap on the back of your child’s mask as you sit by the edge of a protected tide pool that teems with colorful fish or playing in the grass of a large central park, venturing over to the playground equipment or kicking around a ball, before settling in for a night at the movies at an historic community theater.
While the island itself might not be very big, there are a number of family activities on Lānaʻi that children of all ages can enjoy. At Hulopo‘e Beach Park in front of the Four Seasons, teach your kids how to breathe through a snorkel in the calm, protected tide pools before venturing out to the “bigger pool” in search of fish on the reef. Older children can boogie board the shore break or simply splash in the waves, while parents look out for spinner dolphins or prepare a picnic in the shade. For a family portrait that could be your next Christmas card, enjoy the easy, 10-minute hike to Pu‘u Pehe overlook, where the iconic volcanic rock formation rises up from the ocean below you.
For a quirky and cuddly family activity, spend some time at the Lānaʻi Cat Sanctuary helping care for hundreds of cats, whether it’s feeding, grooming, or simply petting the rescued “Hawaiian Lions.” For a more traditional family adventure—particularly with older children—rent a 4×4 Jeep for the day and explore the island’s east shore, searching for petroglyphs hidden in the forest and hiking to Shipwreck Beach. At the abandoned ghost town of Keomoku Village, stop to photograph the hauntingly beautiful Ka Lanakila Church, or using an iPhone or Android phone, download the informative app, “Lanai Guide,” to scour the village for historical sites that are hidden back in the trees. Drive the Jeep to Kahalepalaoa and walk down the white sand beach, where you’ll likely have the palm groves and shoreline completely all to yourself.
With all of these family activities on Lānaʻi, it’s easy to see why a day trip from Maui is such a popular option for visitors, or a three-day getaway from Honolulu to relax, untether and bond. There’s a wholesome simplicity here on Lānaʻi beneath the Cook Island pines, and a small town, tight knit, community feel where families are always welcome.
Family Activities Directory
BEST LUAU in Maui - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - BOOK NOW!
Zipline through Mauis Tropical Plantation in Waikapu and end near Ma‘alaea Harbor.
On our signature Coral Crater Zipline tour, your guides will lead you through 3 ziplines ranging from 300 to 900 feet!
Whale watch with the experts on Maui's top-rated ecotour and see these amazing creatures in their natural wild habitat. Adult $44, Child $25
Experience the underwater wonderland of scenic Hanauma Bay, the most popular snorkel place.
REOPENING Dec 20th - MAUI'S BEST LUAU - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - BOOK NOW!
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! Up to 25% Off Best Available Hotel Rates
- From $89 - World class scuba diving on the Ko Olina Coast with Hawaii Nauticalina Coast
- Rediscover Maui in a newly renovated Premium room plus dine at the newest beachfront restaurant on island.
- Aloha Hawaiian Vacations’ Original All-Inclusive Packages from $970 per person including Hotel, Transfers, Breakfasts, Most Meals & Activities
- From $89 - Snorkel cruise on Oahu's stunning Ko Olina coast with Hawaii Nautical
- Beachfront on Maui in a newly renovated room.
- From $519 - Oahu 6-Nt. Romantic Holiday w/Air & Hotels
- $809 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- From $89 - West Oahu Scuba with Hawaii Nautical
- Kona Luxury Sail - Dolphin Watching and Snorkeling ($389 pp)
- Change the Way You See Hawaii with Shaka Guide GPS Tours!
- Souvenirs, clothes, Red Dirt shirts, buy 2 get 3rd item FREE
- Stop by Rainbow Drive-in for Hawaii’s comfort food, the plate lunch.
- $1,509 & up -- Hawaii: Beach & Volcano 8-Nights w/Air & Car
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!