Family Activities on Lanai
Imagine adjusting the rubber strap on the back of your child’s mask as you sit by the edge of a protected tide pool that teems with colorful fish or playing in the grass of a large central park, venturing over to the playground equipment or kicking around a ball, before settling in for a night at the movies at an historic community theater.
While the island itself might not be very big, there are a number of family activities on Lānaʻi that children of all ages can enjoy. At Hulopo‘e Beach Park in front of the Four Seasons, teach your kids how to breathe through a snorkel in the calm, protected tide pools before venturing out to the “bigger pool” in search of fish on the reef. Older children can boogie board the shore break or simply splash in the waves, while parents look out for spinner dolphins or prepare a picnic in the shade. For a family portrait that could be your next Christmas card, enjoy the easy, 10-minute hike to Pu‘u Pehe overlook, where the iconic volcanic rock formation rises up from the ocean below you.
For a quirky and cuddly family activity, spend some time at the Lānaʻi Cat Sanctuary helping care for hundreds of cats, whether it’s feeding, grooming, or simply petting the rescued “Hawaiian Lions.” For a more traditional family adventure—particularly with older children—rent a 4×4 Jeep for the day and explore the island’s east shore, searching for petroglyphs hidden in the forest and hiking to Shipwreck Beach. At the abandoned ghost town of Keomoku Village, stop to photograph the hauntingly beautiful Ka Lanakila Church, or using an iPhone or Android phone, download the informative app, “Lanai Guide,” to scour the village for historical sites that are hidden back in the trees. Drive the Jeep to Kahalepalaoa and walk down the white sand beach, where you’ll likely have the palm groves and shoreline completely all to yourself.
With all of these family activities on Lānaʻi, it’s easy to see why a day trip from Maui is such a popular option for visitors, or a three-day getaway from Honolulu to relax, untether and bond. There’s a wholesome simplicity here on Lānaʻi beneath the Cook Island pines, and a small town, tight knit, community feel where families are always welcome.
Family Activities Directory
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
Swim with dolphins & fish in the wild. Save $10: code HIDEAL
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Check out our daily web specials.
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- Locally owned and operated, Island Helicopters has nearly 40 years in the tourism industry on the Garden Island of Kauai.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- Ko Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum from heirloom sugar cane - $35
- MAUI'S BEST LUAU - Old Lahaina Luau - BOOK NOW!
- Two Beach Chairs and One Umbrella $25 Deal
- Experience Live Chocolate Tree Orchard on O`ahu & Save 10%
- Exclusive Oahu Farm to Fork to Forest experience! From $170.
- Deluxe Waterfall Safari: Experience the view from above!
- $10 off your Kauai adventure with Nā Pali Riders
- Save up to 25% on your Maui Vacation Condo!
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- From $969 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Maui Package w/Air & Hotels