Attractions on Lanai
You’d be forgiven for thinking that Lanai’s only activities are hiking, snorkeling, and golf.
Those, after, all, are the most popular activities and the best way to explore the outdoors, but there are also a number of traditional attractions that are scattered across the island.
In the cool uplands of Lanai City, where old plantation homes with wooden front porches are shaded by Cook Island pines, you’ll find the Lanai Culture and Heritage Center across the street from Dole Park. Here in this small but informative center, visitors can learn the history of Lanai from settlement up through today, and peruse traditional Hawaiian artifacts and the collection of black and white photos.
In addition to being one of Lanai’s best attractions, the staff can point you in the right direction for what to see on your trip, whether it’s searching for shells on Shipwreck Beach or visiting the Luahiwa Petroglyphs. Or, for one of the best attractions on Lanai, experience a sunset at Keahiakawelo—also known as “Garden of the Gods”—where the deep red hues of the rocky landscape make it seem like the surface of Mars. Read more
On the completely opposite side of the island, or the east coast facing Maui, historic Ka Lanakila church has a hauntingly beautiful way of portraying the modern day Keomoku ghost town. Here on a coast that’s rung by palm groves and fronted by long stretches of sand, there was once a thriving, prosperous village and even a sugar plantation. All of that changed after 1900, when the plantation folded and pineapple was planted in the central Palawai Basin—which led to construction of Lanai City and Keomoku’s demise. Today, by hiring a rugged 4×4 Jeep, you can visit the historic Hawaiian church on a drive of the southeastern coast, continuing the journey to other Lanai attractions like Naha or Lopa Beach.
Finally, for one of the island’s most photo-worthy sights and a great way to end the trip, take the short hike to Puʻu Pehe Overlook—Lanai’s most popular attraction. This 80-foot sea stack sits just off the point from the busy Manele Small Boat Harbor, and is a site that’s steeped in Hawaiian legend of princesses, tragedy, and love. From the white sands of Hulopoʻe Bay, enjoy the short, five-minute walk on a narrow and rocky trail, which then emerges at a hidden cove and a sweeping view of the rock. Of the dozens of different attractions on Lanai there’s none more scenic or popular, and it’s a spot as storied in tourist brochures as it is in ancient lore.
Zipline through Mauis Tropical Plantation in Waikapu and end near Ma‘alaea Harbor.
On our signature Coral Crater Zipline tour, your guides will lead you through 3 ziplines ranging from 300 to 900 feet!
REOPENING Dec 20th - MAUI'S BEST LUAU - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - BOOK NOW!
BEST LUAU in Maui - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - BOOK NOW!
Experience the underwater wonderland of scenic Hanauma Bay, the most popular snorkel place.
Matsumoto’s Shave Ice on the North Shore has the best tropical flavors and toppings.
Whale watch with the experts on Maui's top-rated ecotour and see these amazing creatures in their natural wild habitat. Adult $44, Child $25
A professionally-trained kayak guide greets the customers when they arrive at Kailua Sailboards and Kayak's Beachside Center.
- Get up to 6 GPS audio tours for $29.99 with Shaka Guide! Tours available on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Big Island.
- Change the Way you See Hawaii with Shaka Guide’s GPS audio driving tours! It’s like having a tour guide in your car.
- Aloha Hawaiian Vacations’ Original All-Inclusive Packages from $970 per person including Hotel, Transfers, Breakfasts, Most Meals & Activities
- Kaka'ako Kasuals' Kewalos reef walkers will stick with tiny explorers through every adventure!
- Save 15% on Shaka Guide’s Island Tour Bundles. Use Code Hawaiidotcom15 and book on www.shakaguide.com.
- Kona Luxury Sail - Dolphin Watching and Snorkeling ($389 pp)
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- Change the Way You See Hawaii with Shaka Guide GPS Tours!
- Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Best Luau in Maui
- From $2,079 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- Get Hawaii's Premium High Performance Natural Zinc Sunscreen
- From $89 - Waikiki Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- $849 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- $969 & up - 6-Nt. Maui & Kauai Island-Hopping Trip w/Air