Attractions on Lanai
You’d be forgiven for thinking that Lanai’s only activities are hiking, snorkeling, and golf.
Those, after, all, are the most popular activities and the best way to explore the outdoors, but there are also a number of traditional attractions that are scattered across the island.
In the cool uplands of Lanai City, where old plantation homes with wooden front porches are shaded by Cook Island pines, you’ll find the Lanai Culture and Heritage Center across the street from Dole Park. Here in this small but informative center, visitors can learn the history of Lanai from settlement up through today, and peruse traditional Hawaiian artifacts and the collection of black and white photos.
In addition to being one of Lanai’s best attractions, the staff can point you in the right direction for what to see on your trip, whether it’s searching for shells on Shipwreck Beach or visiting the Luahiwa Petroglyphs. Or, for one of the best attractions on Lanai, experience a sunset at Keahiakawelo—also known as “Garden of the Gods”—where the deep red hues of the rocky landscape make it seem like the surface of Mars. Read more
On the completely opposite side of the island, or the east coast facing Maui, historic Ka Lanakila church has a hauntingly beautiful way of portraying the modern day Keomoku ghost town. Here on a coast that’s rung by palm groves and fronted by long stretches of sand, there was once a thriving, prosperous village and even a sugar plantation. All of that changed after 1900, when the plantation folded and pineapple was planted in the central Palawai Basin—which led to construction of Lanai City and Keomoku’s demise. Today, by hiring a rugged 4×4 Jeep, you can visit the historic Hawaiian church on a drive of the southeastern coast, continuing the journey to other Lanai attractions like Naha or Lopa Beach.
Finally, for one of the island’s most photo-worthy sights and a great way to end the trip, take the short hike to Puʻu Pehe Overlook—Lanai’s most popular attraction. This 80-foot sea stack sits just off the point from the busy Manele Small Boat Harbor, and is a site that’s steeped in Hawaiian legend of princesses, tragedy, and love. From the white sands of Hulopoʻe Bay, enjoy the short, five-minute walk on a narrow and rocky trail, which then emerges at a hidden cove and a sweeping view of the rock. Of the dozens of different attractions on Lanai there’s none more scenic or popular, and it’s a spot as storied in tourist brochures as it is in ancient lore.
Whalewatch with the experts on Maui's top-rated ecotour and see these amazing creatures in their natural wild habitat. Book & Save 10%
Plan a birthday party for kids and get $50 off when you book on a weekday (Mon-Thurs).
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Enjoy the Tree-to-Bar Cacao & Chocolate Experience! Local, Mil & Hawaii.com Discounts!
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- Island Feet specializes in orthotic footwear and is committed to fixing your foot problems. FREE foot analysis at their Maui location - SHOP NOW!
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Maui's Longest Running Ocean Front Luau - Royal Lahaina Luau
- Best Big Island Vacation Rentals starting from $89/night
- "GUARANTEED" Dolphin Tour with Snorkeling Na Pali
- Get your PADI Scuba Certifications with Aqua Zone SCUBA
- Click now to make your own glass art! Save $5 w/ code HAWAII
- From $79 - Kona Whales-Guaranteed powerboat cruises
- Popular Pearl Harbors from $97.99 - BOOK NOW!
- Private Pearl Harbor + Oahu tour (4-24 people) from $699.99!
- Island Helicopters: 2 Fantastic Tours, 1 Terrific Company!
- Special online rates for Voyagers of the Pacific: $78 pp