- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Whale Watching on Kauai
Every year, Kaua‘i is graced by the presence of one of the ocean’s most majestic beings, the Hawaiian humpback whale. These gentle giants journey to Hawai‘i from Alaska each winter, maybe for the same reason many people prefer traveling to the islands during cooler months. While in Alaska, they bulk up on food, then migrate to the warm, tropical waters of Hawai‘i that serve as their breeding ground, sometime between October and April. So if you’re lucky enough to visit Kaua‘i during this time, you can experience the wonder of these creatures, as well as their little ones as they splash their “tiny” fins in the water and breach alongside their mothers.
Some Hawaiian families consider the Hawaiian humpback whale or koholā an ‘aumakua (family god), even though there isn’t much evidence of their presence in historic records.
No doubt, however, they are celebrated today, and Kaua‘i is one of the most idyllic islands to understand why. You can easily watch the graceful water acrobatics of koholā from land at various vantage points around the island.
Locations for Whale Watching on Kauai
One treasured locale is the Kīlauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge on the North Shore. The sea stretches for miles in front of you on this craggy peninsula where there’s a good chance you’ll see a whale or two. Plus, you can enjoy watching other native species like seabirds as they dance above your head.
The South Shore has some great viewpoints as well; virtually anywhere along the coast, especially on days when the ocean is calm.
Whale Watching on Tours
Boat tours will get you even closer to these spectacular beings—some of which are specifically designed for whale watching. But note that even though koholā were recently removed from the endangered species list due to population numbers steadily increasing in recent years, they are still protected and a respectful distance is required by law.
Those fortuitous enough to escape the cold and travel to Kaua‘i during the winter season are not only in for a warm weather treat but also the possibility of incredible encounters with one of Hawai‘i’s most treasured creatures.
Whale Watching Directory
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Reserve Kauai Sea Tours Catamaran or Raft adventure to encounter Dolphins & Whalewatch (Dec-March)
Kauai Sea Tours will make it the Best Day of your vacation! Reserve now!
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
"Guaranteed" dolphin sighting plus snorkeling tour along Kauai's famous Na Pali Coast. $10 off early online bookings.
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: 10% OFF Kauai horseback riding adventure for the whole family at Silver Falls Ranch! Must call to book and mention Hawaii.com.
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- Oahu & Kauai Island-Hopping with Air & Room, from $929. for 6 nights
- Join the KonaRed® e-newsletter to get the latest specials and updates about Cold Brew, Kona Coffee and Hawaiian Cascara Juice and Coffee Fruit Syrup.
- FREE Cruise Gratuities, up to $203 per couple! Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour - 12 Days now from only $2,299!
- Visit Maui Ocean Center! Passes start at $29.95 per adult
- Kayak the famed Kohala Ditch at Flumin' Kohala..808-933-HAWI
- Royal Lahaina Resort’s Myths of Maui Luau Special: $108pp
- Try North Shore Oahu's famous shrimp plates from $14!
- From $89- West Oahu Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- Napali Sunset Tour from $114 - BOOK NOW!
- Magical setting at Kanaloa at Kona by Outrigger from $129/nt
- Sunday Night Trivia at Down the Hatch Maui starts at 10PM!
- Explore the Best Agriculture Tourism Destination in Hawaii
- Exclusive Oahu Farm to Fork to Forest experience! From $170.