- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Whale Watching on Kauai
Every year, Kaua‘i is graced by the presence of one of the ocean’s most majestic beings, the Hawaiian humpback whale. These gentle giants journey to Hawai‘i from Alaska each winter, maybe for the same reason many people prefer traveling to the islands during cooler months. While in Alaska, they bulk up on food, then migrate to the warm, tropical waters of Hawai‘i that serve as their breeding ground, sometime between October and April. So if you’re lucky enough to visit Kaua‘i during this time, you can experience the wonder of these creatures, as well as their little ones as they splash their “tiny” fins in the water and breach alongside their mothers.
Some Hawaiian families consider the Hawaiian humpback whale or koholā an ‘aumakua (family god), even though there isn’t much evidence of their presence in historic records.
No doubt, however, they are celebrated today, and Kaua‘i is one of the most idyllic islands to understand why. You can easily watch the graceful water acrobatics of koholā from land at various vantage points around the island.
Locations for Whale Watching on Kauai
One treasured locale is the Kīlauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge on the North Shore. The sea stretches for miles in front of you on this craggy peninsula where there’s a good chance you’ll see a whale or two. Plus, you can enjoy watching other native species like seabirds as they dance above your head.
The South Shore has some great viewpoints as well; virtually anywhere along the coast, especially on days when the ocean is calm.
Whale Watching on Tours
Boat tours will get you even closer to these spectacular beings—some of which are specifically designed for whale watching. But note that even though koholā were recently removed from the endangered species list due to population numbers steadily increasing in recent years, they are still protected and a respectful distance is required by law.
Those fortuitous enough to escape the cold and travel to Kaua‘i during the winter season are not only in for a warm weather treat but also the possibility of incredible encounters with one of Hawai‘i’s most treasured creatures.
Whale Watching Directory
Book 2 tours and get 15% off the second tour!
Anaina Hou Mini Golf & Gardens - not your typical miniture golf course!
Kauai Sea Tours will make it the Best Day of your vacation! Reserve now!
"Guaranteed" dolphin sighting plus snorkeling tour along Kauai's famous Na Pali Coast. $10 off early online bookings.
- 6-night Big Island & Kauai island-hopping adventure, starting from $939
- 6-night multi-island adventures, starting from $1,059. Visit Oahu, Kauai, and Maui!
- $25 lunch for 2 at Brick Oven Pizza - Get a medium 1-topping pizza to share & a cup of soup or tossed salad each! Enjoy award-winning pizza!
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,049
- Choose from over 300 Hawaiian island tours; relive history at Pearl Harbor, snorkle beautiful reefs, experience luaus, visit ancient volcanos & more!
- BEST LUAU in Maui - Old Lahaina Luau - BOOK NOW!
- 15% Off kayak rentals from Kailua Beach Adventures
- Flumin' Kohala-Truly a one of a kind experience 808-933-HAWI
- Taste love in a bottle: Visit the Ko Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum Distillery - $25
- Wild Tiki Fun Zone has something fun for all ages!
- Two Beach Chairs and One Umbrella $25 Deal
- Royal Lahaina Spirit Pkg w/Breakfast, car, parking. $335/nt
- "Best of Hanalei” Luau every Wednesday - Discounts Offered
- Island Feet are happy feet! Orthotic footwear - SHOP NOW!
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military