- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Sports on Kauai
Not participating in at least one water sport during your vacation on Kaua‘i means you aren’t doing your trip justice. Even if it’s just going for a relaxing swim in the gentle waters of Kalapaki Bay, any kind of water sport is a highly recommended activity for all travelers to the Garden Isle.
Recreational activities in the ocean are a primary reason people flock to Kaua‘i, not only for travel purposes but to live as well. That’s because a good romp in the water is fun and one of the most adventurous pastimes we get to treat ourselves to.
Surfing is a hailed water sport on Kaua‘i. Schools that teach you the basics are located around the island. Titus Kinimaka’s School of Surfing provides lessons at Hanalei Bay, Po‘ipū Beach Surf School gives classes on the sunny south shore and Kalapaki Beach Boys sets up shop at Kalapaki Bay in Līhu‘e. Most schools are in areas where waves are smaller and ideal for beginners. Only professional surfers with extensive backgrounds should even attempt getting in the water at any unsupervised locations.
More leisurely water sports include going for a dip in the ocean. Just make sure you’re doing so at one of the lifeguarded beaches – Anahola, Hā‘ena, Lydgate, Hanalei, Kē‘ē, Keālia, Kekaha, Po‘ipū, Salt Pond and Wai‘oli. These are also ideal spots if you want to safely snorkel. Still, always be mindful of rip tides that can sweep you out to sea without any warning.
Kayaking is another water sport that has always enchanted visitors on Kaua‘i. That’s because the activity allows people to see otherwise inaccessible places around the island like the Nāpali Coast or Uluwehi Falls, also known as “Secret Falls,” near the Wailua River.
From the technological advances of windsurfing, paragliding and wakeboarding has come a water sport called kiteboarding. This is an extreme sport that takes wind, guts, the right equipment and a lot of practice. Mahaʻulepu, the last undeveloped shoreline on Kauai’s southern coast in Poʻipū, is much more than an exquisite beach and favorite windsurfing spot. Kiteboarders are often seen at Fuji (Baby) Beach in Kapaʻa, at Wailua Beach and at Hanalei Bay on the North Shore. Lessons and equipment are available at schools throughout the island.
The number of water sport options that exist are too numerous to list and that’s exactly why you must make at least one a priority during your Kaua‘i vacation.
Water Sports Directory
Reserve Kauai Sea Tours Catamaran or Raft adventure to encounter Dolphins & Whalewatch (Dec-March)
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
"Guaranteed" dolphin sighting plus snorkeling tour along Kauai's famous Na Pali Coast. $10 off early online bookings.
Kayak the Na Pali Coast, The Mount Everest of Sea Kayaking
For some water sports enthusiasts, Kauai’s Na Pali coast is…
- Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour - SAVE up to $700 per couple, 2020 departures starting at $1,999! 13-day guided tour with inter-island flights included.
- Island Helicopters offers unique tours around this tropical paradise; including one of Hawaii’s most elite tours, the Jurassic Falls Landing Adventure
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $979
- Princeville Makai Golf Club is the Perfect Destination spot for Weddings and Special Celebrations
- Hawaiian Escape from only $1,199 – SAVE $500 per couple on all 2020 departures! 7-day two island guided tour with inter-island flight!
- Celebrate Valentine's Day at Kāʻanapali Beach Hotel
- Maui Babe® lotions love your skin! Get yours today!
- Paradise Eco-Adventures - Maui Zipline Adventure from $69.95
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates
- Use the code 2020VISION to save $20 per person on Dolphins and You tours when you book by 3/31.
- "GUARANTEED" Dolphin Tour with Snorkeling Na Pali
- Experience all of Oahu on an Island and You tour! $10 off with code HIDEAL
- Save up to 15% on your Kauai Vacation Condo!
- Get low prices everyday with Alamo® in Hawaii.
- Kaku Sushi, Waikiki: Made-to-Order Sushi Buffet!