- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Surfing & SUP
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Sports on Kauai
Not participating in at least one water sport during your vacation on Kaua‘i means you aren’t doing your trip justice. Even if it’s just going for a relaxing swim in the gentle waters of Kalapaki Bay, any kind of water sport is a highly recommended activity for all travelers to the Garden Isle.
Recreational activities in the ocean are a primary reason people flock to Kaua‘i, not only for travel purposes but to live as well. That’s because a good romp in the water is fun and one of the most adventurous pastimes we get to treat ourselves to.
More leisurely water sports include going for a dip in the ocean. Just make sure you’re doing so at one of the lifeguarded beaches – Anahola, Hā‘ena, Lydgate, Hanalei, Kē‘ē, Keālia, Kekaha, Po‘ipū, Salt Pond and Wai‘oli. These are also ideal spots if you want to safely snorkel. Still, always be mindful of rip tides that can sweep you out to sea without any warning.
Kayaking is another water sport that has always enchanted visitors on Kaua‘i. That’s because the activity allows people to see otherwise inaccessible places around the island like the Nāpali Coast or Uluwehi Falls, also known as “Secret Falls,” near the Wailua River.
From the technological advances of windsurfing, paragliding and wakeboarding has come a water sport called kiteboarding. This is an extreme sport that takes wind, guts, the right equipment and a lot of practice. Mahaʻulepu, the last undeveloped shoreline on Kauai’s southern coast in Poʻipū, is much more than an exquisite beach and favorite windsurfing spot. Kiteboarders are often seen at Fuji (Baby) Beach in Kapaʻa, at Wailua Beach and at Hanalei Bay on the North Shore. Lessons and equipment are available at schools throughout the island.
The number of water sport options that exist are too numerous to list and that’s exactly why you must make at least one a priority during your Kaua‘i vacation.
Water Sports Directory
- Save 15% on Shaka Guide’s Island Tour Bundles. Use Code Hawaiidotcom15 and book on www.shakaguide.com.
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,229
- Best of Hawaii 4-Island Tour 2021 departures starting at $1,999! SAVE $500 per couple on a 12-day guided tour with inter-island flights included.
- Island-hopping 6-night adventure, Maui and Kauai, from $1,069
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- From $499 - Oahu 6-Nt. Romantic Holiday w/Air & Hotels
- From $889 - Oahu & Kauai, 6-Nt Multi-Island Adventure
- Shaka Guide: Choose from 21 Socially-Distanced Audio Tours
- Visitor tip: Try Matsumoto's Shave Ice with ice cream!
- 7-Day Hawaiian Escape from $999 in 2021! SAVE $500 per couple!
- $809 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- 12-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour in 2021 from $1,999!
- Change the Way You See Hawaii with Shaka Guide GPS Tours!
- From $1,229 - Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-Nts. w/Air
- From $1,489 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels