- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on Kauai
Bright tropical fish dashing about spiny sea urchins and slick moray eels peering out from under their coral chambers are among the many exciting sea life activities you can experience while snorkeling on Kaua‘i.
Several locations around the island accommodate curious underwater onlookers, however, it is imperative to check ocean conditions prior to heading out on your adventure. Far too many have had their lives tragically taken due to Kaua‘i’s dangerous rip tides. In fact, two prime snorkeling locations—Anini and Tunnels—do not have lifeguards and are more often than not, unsuitable for swimming. Just remember, if in doubt, do not go out.
Garden Isle reefs are not as vibrantly colored as you might imagine as they’ve endured quite the ocean battering over the years. Additionally, they are largely laced in algae so you won’t see the same kind of colorful displays you would around other islands like Hawai‘i Island. Still, as you explore, be careful not to step on these delicate ecosystems. While the colors might not appear as vivacious, the reefs are very much alive and any kind of blow to their structures impacts the life surrounding them.
North Shore beaches are best to visit during the summer. As long as conditions are appropriate, Anini Beach in Kilauea, as well as Tunnels in Hā‘ena, offer wonderful opportunities to say hello to many ocean critters.
One of the best and safest ways, however, to snorkel on Kaua‘i is by booking a guided boat tour. These adventures let you experience marine life farther away from the shore, including dolphins and turtles. You’ll also see out-of-this-world vistas like the Nāpali Coast and might even witness Hawaiian humpback whales as you head to various snorkeling destinations.
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Must Try Snacks. Hand Picked by "It's A Hawaii Thing" Hosts. FREE SHIPPING.
- With over 4 million coffee trees, Kauai Coffee Company is Hawaii’s largest coffee grower. Shop their wide selection of outstanding coffee
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- Try North Shore Oahu's famous shrimp plates from $14!
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Shop Kauai Coffee Company's outstanding coffee
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- Must Try Snacks. Hand Picked by "It's A Hawaii Thing" Hosts.
- From $1,119 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- Rent with Enterprise® for low car rental rates in Hawaii.
- Get Hawaii's Premium High Performance Natural Zinc Sunscreen
- Maui Condo/Car Packages from as low as $142/nt.
- National Car Rental: Save with National