- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on Kauai
Bright tropical fish dashing about spiny sea urchins and slick moray eels peering out from under their coral chambers are among the many exciting sea life activities you can experience while snorkeling on Kaua‘i.
Several locations around the island accommodate curious underwater onlookers, however, it is imperative to check ocean conditions prior to heading out on your adventure. Far too many have had their lives tragically taken due to Kaua‘i’s dangerous rip tides. In fact, two prime snorkeling locations—Anini and Tunnels—do not have lifeguards and are more often than not, unsuitable for swimming. Just remember, if in doubt, do not go out.
Garden Isle reefs are not as vibrantly colored as you might imagine as they’ve endured quite the ocean battering over the years. Additionally, they are largely laced in algae so you won’t see the same kind of colorful displays you would around other islands like Hawai‘i Island. Still, as you explore, be careful not to step on these delicate ecosystems. While the colors might not appear as vivacious, the reefs are very much alive and any kind of blow to their structures impacts the life surrounding them.
North Shore beaches are best to visit during the summer. As long as conditions are appropriate, Anini Beach in Kilauea, as well as Tunnels in Hā‘ena, offer wonderful opportunities to say hello to many ocean critters.
One of the best and safest ways, however, to snorkel on Kaua‘i is by booking a guided boat tour. These adventures let you experience marine life farther away from the shore, including dolphins and turtles. You’ll also see out-of-this-world vistas like the Nāpali Coast and might even witness Hawaiian humpback whales as you head to various snorkeling destinations.
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
Reserve Kauai Sea Tours Catamaran or Raft adventure to encounter Dolphins & Whalewatch (Dec-March)
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Incredible customer service and the savings to match. Save on Everyday Low Rates. We’ll Pick you Up®
- SAVE $500 per couple! Departs July to Nov 2019 - Hawaiian Escape from $1,399 - 7 days Fully escorted Two Island Tour with inter-island flight!
- Book 7 nights or more and receive 10% off your entire stay! Offer valid for stays completed by December 20, 2018 at Hotel Coral Reef!
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: 10% OFF Kauai horseback riding adventure for the whole family at Silver Falls Ranch! Must call to book and mention Hawaii.com.
- O Bar: Happy hour nightly overlooking the 3-story Oceanarium
- Visitor tip: Try Matsumoto's Shave Ice with ice cream!
- Waikiki Escape - 35% off ultra-luxurious accommodations!
- Save up to 15% on your Kauai Vacation Condo
- Pearl Harbor + Oahu Island tour from $129.99 - BOOK NOW!
- Snorkel by day, Luau at night! Combo starting at $215.
- Shop KonaRed Coffee, Cascara Juice + Coffee Fruit Syrup!
- From $1,629 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels
- Discover Maui's historic Lahaina town from only $129/night!
- "GUARANTEED" Dolphin Tour with Snorkeling Na Pali