- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on Kauai
Bright tropical fish dashing about spiny sea urchins and slick moray eels peering out from under their coral chambers are among the many exciting sea life activities you can experience while snorkeling on Kaua‘i.
Several locations around the island accommodate curious underwater onlookers, however, it is imperative to check ocean conditions prior to heading out on your adventure. Far too many have had their lives tragically taken due to Kaua‘i’s dangerous rip tides. In fact, two prime snorkeling locations—Anini and Tunnels—do not have lifeguards and are more often than not, unsuitable for swimming. Just remember, if in doubt, do not go out.
Garden Isle reefs are not as vibrantly colored as you might imagine as they’ve endured quite the ocean battering over the years. Additionally, they are largely laced in algae so you won’t see the same kind of colorful displays you would around other islands like Hawai‘i Island. Still, as you explore, be careful not to step on these delicate ecosystems. While the colors might not appear as vivacious, the reefs are very much alive and any kind of blow to their structures impacts the life surrounding them.
North Shore beaches are best to visit during the summer. As long as conditions are appropriate, Anini Beach in Kilauea, as well as Tunnels in Hā‘ena, offer wonderful opportunities to say hello to many ocean critters.
One of the best and safest ways, however, to snorkel on Kaua‘i is by booking a guided boat tour. These adventures let you experience marine life farther away from the shore, including dolphins and turtles. You’ll also see out-of-this-world vistas like the Nāpali Coast and might even witness Hawaiian humpback whales as you head to various snorkeling destinations.
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
Book 2 tours and get 15% off the second tour!
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
"Guaranteed" dolphin sighting plus snorkeling tour along Kauai's famous Na Pali Coast. $10 off early online bookings.
Reserve Kauai Sea Tours Catamaran or Raft adventure to encounter Dolphins & Whalewatch (Dec-March)
- Don’t miss the boat - Save $10 and see Dolphins (Whales Dec-March) with Kauai Sea Tours
- 6-night Big Island & Kauai island-hopping adventure, starting from $959
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Choose from over 300 Hawaiian island tours; relive history at Pearl Harbor, snorkle beautiful reefs, experience luaus, visit ancient volcanos & more!
- Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour - 13-day guided tour now from only $1,799! SAVE $1,100 per couple on select departures! Inter-island flights included.
- Outrigger Canoe Rides on Waikiki Beach for $30!
- Royal Kona Spirit Pkg w/Breakfast, car & parking! $299/nt
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation!
- WAIKIKI ESCAPE Save up to 35% when you stay 3 or more nights
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Save 20%! Pre-purchase breakfast at Royal Kona Resort
- Save up to 25% on your Kauai Vacation Condo
- Private powerboat charters in Kona - $750 per hour
- The Ukulele Site: 2nd Location now open at SALT At Our Kaka‘ako
- Book The Paradise Wedding You Deserve Anywhere in Hawaii