- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on Kauai
Bright tropical fish dashing about spiny sea urchins and slick moray eels peering out from under their coral chambers are among the many exciting sea life activities you can experience while snorkeling on Kaua‘i.
Several locations around the island accommodate curious underwater onlookers, however, it is imperative to check ocean conditions prior to heading out on your adventure. Far too many have had their lives tragically taken due to Kaua‘i’s dangerous rip tides. In fact, two prime snorkeling locations—Anini and Tunnels—do not have lifeguards and are more often than not, unsuitable for swimming. Just remember, if in doubt, do not go out.
Garden Isle reefs are not as vibrantly colored as you might imagine as they’ve endured quite the ocean battering over the years. Additionally, they are largely laced in algae so you won’t see the same kind of colorful displays you would around other islands like Hawai‘i Island. Still, as you explore, be careful not to step on these delicate ecosystems. While the colors might not appear as vivacious, the reefs are very much alive and any kind of blow to their structures impacts the life surrounding them.
North Shore beaches are best to visit during the summer. As long as conditions are appropriate, Anini Beach in Kilauea, as well as Tunnels in Hā‘ena, offer wonderful opportunities to say hello to many ocean critters.
One of the best and safest ways, however, to snorkel on Kaua‘i is by booking a guided boat tour. These adventures let you experience marine life farther away from the shore, including dolphins and turtles. You’ll also see out-of-this-world vistas like the Nāpali Coast and might even witness Hawaiian humpback whales as you head to various snorkeling destinations.
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
"Guaranteed" dolphin sighting plus snorkeling tour along Kauai's famous Na Pali Coast. $10 off early online bookings.
- Ali'i Kayaks – use promo code HIFive for $5 discount. One of the best ways to see the hidden places on Kauai is on our Wailua River kayak adventure
- Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour 2021 departures starting at $2,099! SAVE $500 per couple. Visit 4 islands in 12 days with an extended stay on Oahu.
- 6-night multi-island adventures, starting from $1029. Visit Oahu, Kauai, and Maui!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Incredible customer service and the savings to match. Save on Everyday Low Rates. We’ll Pick you Up®
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- 7-Day Hawaiian Escape from $999 in 2021! SAVE $500 per couple!
- Experience an ultimate watersport adventure at Twogood Kayaks
- 12-Day Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour in 2021 from $2,099
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- From $149 - Friday night Waikiki fireworks dinner cruise
- 12-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour in 2021 from $1,999!
- All-You-Can-Eat Sushi Buffet at Kaku Sushi, Waikiki!
- From $89 - Waikiki Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates
- 100% Kona Coffee from Kona Mountain Coffee