- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Surfing & SUP
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
- Oahu & Kauai Island-Hopping with Air & Room, from $899. for 6 nights
- Island-hopping 6-night adventure, Maui and Kauai, from $1,069
- From $89 - Snorkel cruise on Oahu's stunning Ko Olina coast with Hawaii Nautical
- Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour 2021 departures starting at $2,099! SAVE $500 per couple. Visit 4 islands in 12 days with an extended stay on Oahu.
- Aloha Hawaiian Vacations’ Original All-Inclusive Packages from $970 per person including Hotel, Transfers, Breakfasts, Most Meals & Activities
- From $1,069 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- From $89 - West Oahu Scuba with Hawaii Nautical
- Shaka Guide: Choose from 21 Socially-Distanced Audio Tours
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation!
- From $1,229 - Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-Nts. w/Air
- 12-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour in 2021 from $1,999!
- Souvenirs, clothes, Red Dirt shirts, buy 2 get 3rd item FREE
- 12-Day Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour in 2021 from $2,099
- Kona Luxury Sail - Dolphin Watching and Snorkeling ($389 pp)
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!