- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
Kauai Sea Tours will make it the Best Day of your vacation! Reserve now!
- FREE collectible tropical pen w/ purchase of $50 or more! Bring the authentic tastes and sights of Hawai’i to your doorstep. Shop at HOUSE OF MANA UP!
- Kauai Sea Tours can take you where others can't! Explore the Na Pali Coast's remote Nualolo Kai beach and ancient site. Book online - Save $10!
- With over 4 million coffee trees, Kauai Coffee Company is Hawaii’s largest coffee grower. Shop their wide selection of outstanding coffee
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car® offers locations throughout Hawaii in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaneohe, and more. Low rates, and award winning service. Book now!
- Sunday Night Trivia at Down the Hatch Maui starts at 10PM!
- From $1,069 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- 15% Off kayak rentals from Kailua Beach Adventures with code "Kailua"
- Save up to 15% on your Kauai Vacation Condo!
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Explore the island
- $909 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- $859 & up - Oahu & Kauai, 6-Nt Multi-Island Adventure
- Adventure Starts Here! Northshore Zipline Maui - $119/person
- From $1,329 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels