- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Anaina Hou Mini Golf & Gardens - not your typical miniture golf course!
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Kauai Sea Tours will make it the Best Day of your vacation! Reserve now!
- Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-night multi-island adventure, from $1,159
- $138 & up – Maui or Kauai Beach Condo + Car Rental
- Book online & save $10 on Smith Family Garden Luau, Kauai!
- Stay up to date with current ocean conditions in Hawaii: Text "BeachAlerts" to 43766 now for current hazard levels at Hawaii's popular beaches.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: 10% OFF Kauai horseback riding adventure for the whole family at Silver Falls Ranch! Must call to book and mention Hawaii.com.
- Grand Naniloa Resort: Kamaaina Exclusive Savings. Save up to 12%
- Snorkel and SUP on the North Shore on an exciting Beach Bus Adventure!
- BAKER'S DOZEN SPECIAL from Hamakua Mac Nut Company-SHOP NOW!
- $1 admission per person to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet!
- Experience ″farm-to-beach″ dining at Reef Bar & Market Grill!
- Kaanapali Ocean Inn Standard Special from $139/nt
- 13-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour from $1,799! SAVE $550pp
- West Maui Cycles bike rentals as low as $8.50 per day!
- Web Special: Waikiki & Hawaii Gun Club – Hawaii’s #1 Shooting Experience
- Luxury vacation rentals on the golden Kona Coast - BOOK NOW!