- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
Kauai Sea Tours will make it the Best Day of your vacation! Reserve now!
- Explore Kauai’s remote Nualolo Kai ancient site and beach on a Kauai Sea Tours Napali Raft Adventure: Book online - Save $10!
- Kauai Sea Tours can take you where others can't! Explore the Na Pali Coast's remote Nualolo Kai beach and ancient site. Book online - Save $10!
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- FREE burlap beach tote with purchase of $125 or more! Bring the authentic tastes and sights of Hawai’i to your doorstep. Shop at HOUSE OF MANA UP!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Incredible customer service and the savings to match. Save on Everyday Low Rates. We’ll Pick you Up®
- Visitor tip: Try Matsumoto's Shave Ice with ice cream!
- Shop rates w/3 car rental partners. Receive a discount
- FREE beach tote with purchase of $125+! Shop now!
- Visit Maui Ocean Center! Passes start at $29.95 per adult
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Explore the island
- National Car Rental: Take control of your Hawaii vacation
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- FREE standard U.S. shipping on orders of $50+!
- Maui Condo/Car Packages from as low as $142/nt.
- Experience Nutridge: Four hours of interactive activities!