- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
- REOPENING Dec 20th - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau - BOOK NOW
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,099
- With over 4 million coffee trees, Kauai Coffee Company is Hawaii’s largest coffee grower. Shop their wide selection of outstanding coffee
- 6-night multi-island adventures, starting from $1,079. Visit Oahu, Kauai, and Maui!
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- $899 & up -- Hawaii: Beach & Volcano 8-Nights w/Air & Car
- From $1,349 - Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-Nts. w/Air
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- Kona Luxury Sail - Dolphin Watching and Snorkeling ($389 pp)
- Must Try Snacks. Hand Picked by
- 12-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour in 2021 from $1,999!
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- NEW Neck Gaiters designed in Hawai’i – 2/$28 with code: KKGAITER
- From $1,139 - Oahu, Kona & Hilo 6-Nt Island-Hop Adventure
- 7-Day Hawaiian Escape from $999 in 2021! SAVE $500 per couple!