- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
Book 2 tours and get 15% off the second tour!
Kauai Sea Tours will make it the Best Day of your vacation! Reserve now!
Anaina Hou Mini Golf & Gardens - not your typical miniture golf course!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car® offers locations throughout Hawaii in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaneohe, and more. Low rates, and award winning service. Book now!
- FLY above the trees on our 1,200 foot KING KONG double ZIPLINE and RIDE horseback under the mountains of Jurassic Park!
- One-Day Neighbor Island Tours from Honolulu - Maui, Kauai or the Big Isle!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- All Inclusive Hawaii Vacation Packages - Hotel, Activities, Meals and Transfers! Oahu (Waikiki), Maui, Kauai and the Big Island - From Only $970 pp
- $949 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 15% Off Best Available Hotel Rates
- SAVE $30 at Jack Harter Helicopters - BOOK NOW
- Tour the heritage sugarcane fields and taste Hawaii’s Kō Hana Rum - $25
- Anaina Hou Mini Golf & Gardens - not your typical mini golf!
- Ko Hana Hawaiian Agricole Rum from heirloom sugar cane - $35
- Royal Lahaina Golfer’s Paradise Pkg w/4 rounds from $339/nt
- Tropical Hawaiian Tours: Oahu Circle Island Tour - $100/person
- Enjoy award-winning wine selections at Il Lupino
- Royal Kona Experience Pkg w/Luau, cruise, breakfast! $325/nt