- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
Reserve Kauai Sea Tours Catamaran or Raft adventure to encounter Dolphins & Whalewatch (Dec-March)
Anaina Hou Mini Golf & Gardens - not your typical miniture golf course!
- $25 lunch for 2 at Brick Oven Pizza - Get a medium 1-topping pizza to share & a cup of soup or tossed salad each! Enjoy award-winning pizza!
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – Honolulu, Kahului, Lihue and Kona!
- SAVE $900 per couple! Departs 4/10, 4/24 & 5/1, Ultimate Hawaii 4 Island - 13 Days now from only $1,899!
- Book online to get up to $55 OFF your adventure in the sky with Safari Helicopter Tours. This is a web-only special, so book online NOW!
- 6-night multi-island adventures, starting from $1,059. Visit Oahu, Kauai, and Maui!
- Enjoy Wolfgang's superb Porterhouse Steak: $109.95 for two
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
- Combine your zipline and waterfall experience and SAVE 25%!
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – All Islands
- IL LUPINO, Waikiki - high-end Italian lunch specials $10
- Whale Watching while Paddling Wa`a (Outrigger Canoe)
- Live Music in an Intimate Setting: See the Blue Note Lineup
- Save up to 25% on your Maui Vacation Condo!
- Kaanapali Ocean Inn Standard Special from $139/nt
- $30 Waikiki Marine Life Sail w/ Mana Kai Catamaran-BOOK NOW!