- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on Kauai
One of the most magical Hawaiian experiences is witnessing a pod of playful dolphins frolicking in the Pacific Ocean. The only opportunity you’ll have to see them on Kaua‘i is in the wild as the island does not harbor dolphins in captivity. While this might be considered a drawback for those who long to get close, it actually gives you the chance to see these marvelous creatures in all their natural glory instead.
Hawaiian waters are home to two types of dolphins—Bottlenose like “Flipper” and Spinner named so because of the acrobatic twists and turns they make while leaping from the ocean. You will most likely encounter the more prevalent Spinner dolphins—which in comparison to Bottlenose are smaller in size and have longer pointier beaks—as they make their journey across the water in large pods. Some of the best places to view them from land include the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge or Kealia Beach.
But maybe you’re tempted to get closer. Strong swimmers who enter deeper waters might also stumble across dolphins. However, please do not approach them as they are protected by the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Moreover, they are resting during daylight hours when you’re most likely to see them. Dolphins forage and feed at night and approach shorelines and protected bays during the day. They shut down half of their brain, which is akin to ours in size, during this resting state, and it’s not a good idea to rouse them as it may affect their behavior and disturb their population, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Cruise the Na Pali Coast with Kauai Sea Tours
Explore the majestic Na Pali coast with Kauai Sea Tours…
"Guaranteed" dolphin sighting plus snorkeling tour along Kauai's famous Na Pali Coast. $10 off early online bookings.
Kauai Sea Tours will make it the Best Day of your vacation! Reserve now!
Reserve Kauai Sea Tours Catamaran or Raft adventure to encounter Dolphins & Whalewatch (Dec-March)
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Enterprise makes it easy to explore the island
- Discover the tastes of Pacific Rim-inspired cuisine in a relaxed, open-air locale. The possibilities are endless at Kukui's on Kalapaki Beach
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Locally owned and operated, Island Helicopters has nearly 40 years in the tourism industry on the Garden Island of Kauai.
- Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour - SAVE $900 per couple on June 3 departure! 13-day guided tour starting at $2,099! Inter-island flights included.
- Complimentary Buffet Breakfast at Royal Lahaina Resort. $229/night
- From $1,189 - Oahu, Kona & Hilo 6-Nt Island-Hop Adventure
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- A pair of BLT sliders are only $7 during happy hour at Tropics Tap House.
- Get ready for an exclusive Maui fishing trip with UFO Parasail! $99+
- Kaku Sushi: Waikiki's best sushi and seafood buffet.
- Soar high with Northshore Zipline on Maui from $119/person
- $10 off your Kauai adventure with Nā Pali Riders
- Kona Coast Vacation rentals from $89/night - BOOK NOW!
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates