- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Surfing & SUP
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Water Activities on Kauai
If you’re looking for water activities on Kauai, your options will depend on what time of year it is. During the summer months, Kauai’s North Shore is definitely the place to be. The waters are calm and boast excellent snorkeling and diving locations. Summer on the North Shore is also a great place for kayaking. Dolphins, monk seals and honu (turtles) are frequently spotted. Kayak the bays or tackle the arduous but grand Nā Pali coast. Hanalei Bay is fun for surfing and standup paddle boarding; the waves perfect for long boarding. Come winter, however, everything changes. When the winter swells roll in, the pros take over the local surf spots. The giant waves wash the sand out and change the faces of the beaches. Conditions can be dangerous, and only seasoned watermen (and women) should be out at the breaks.
During the winter on Kauai, visit the sunny South Shore at Poipu. The conditions here are fairly consistent year round, without the dangerous winter swells. Great for swimming and standup paddle boarding (and even snorkeling and surfing depending where you are), the South Shore is known for its beautiful white sand and pretty sunsets. Read more
Featured Water Activities
- Get up to 6 GPS audio tours for $29.99 with Shaka Guide! Tours available on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Big Island.
- Save 15% on Shaka Guide’s Island Tour Bundles. Use Code Hawaiidotcom15 and book on www.shakaguide.com.
- 6-night Big Island & Kauai island-hopping adventure, starting from $879
- Socially-Distanced Audio Tours starting at $4.99! All Shaka Guide tours offer turn-by-turn directions to popular sites and local gems.
- Emperor’s Emporium has the largest selection of island-inspired jewelry, clothing and Red Dirt shirts, gifts. Buy 2 Get 3rd item FREE - Store only
- Visitor tip: Try Matsumoto's Shave Ice with ice cream!
- 12-Day Best of Hawaii 4 Island Tour in 2021 from $1,999!
- Get Hawaii's Premium High Performance Natural Zinc Sunscreen
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- $709 & up - 6-Nt Island-hop Trip; see the Big Island & Oahu
- Stop by Rainbow Drive-in for Hawaii’s comfort food, the plate lunch.
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- From $1,299 - Oahu, Maui, Kona & Hilo 8-Nts w/Air & Hotels
- From $459 - Oahu 6-Nt. Romantic Holiday w/Air & Hotels
- From $1,229 - Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-Nts. w/Air
More Activities You Might Like
Kayak the Na Pali Coast, The Mount Everest of Sea Kayaking
For some water sports enthusiasts, Kauai’s Na Pali coast is…