- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Hiking on Kauai
Surround yourself with nature and delve into the depths of Kaua‘i’s enchanted forests and seascapes by embarking on any number of hikes around the island. Most can be completed in a day and are well worth the workout, offering landscapes you wouldn’t otherwise see.
One of the best places to lace up your hiking shoes is Waimea Canyon and Koke‘e State Parks. This west side locale will treat you to unparalleled natural beauty with many options for exploring by foot that range from short, leisurely strolls to strenuous uphill climbs spanning several miles. The Iliau Nature Loop Trail, for example, is a short trek that presents gorgeous scenery of the red dirt-laced canyon and is great for people of all ages and fitness levels. On the other end of the spectrum, trails like Alaka‘i Swamp and Awa‘awapuhi are known to leave your legs burning, but the scenery along with native flora and fauna will leave you too delighted to notice.
The north shore has a few different options as well, including the famous Kalalau Trail. This path is not for the faint of heart, however, nor is it advisable to traverse during wet weather. The trail hugs the fluted cliffs of the Nāpali Coast and, while it is only for those who are athletically inclined, the views are incredibly rewarding. Most people travel the first 2 miles to Hanakāpī‘ai Beach and enjoy the serenity of the secluded area. But the more adventurous journey the entire 11 miles to Kalalau Valley where they camp for at least one night before heading back.
For a completely different experience on the south side of the island, consider the Māhā‘ulepū Heritage Trail. On this moderate hike along the coast you’ll encounter craggy cliffs and sand dunes on a trail that even leads you toward an ancient limestone cave that is home to the wealthiest fossil site in the state.
Plan accordingly and you won’t regret taking the time to explore Kaua‘i by foot.
"Guaranteed" dolphin sighting plus snorkeling tour along Kauai's famous Na Pali Coast. $10 off early online bookings.
Reserve Kauai Sea Tours Catamaran or Raft adventure to encounter Dolphins & Whalewatch (Dec-March)
Book 2 tours and get 15% off the second tour!
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Exploring the Panoramic Views at Kokee State Park
Koke‘e State Park offers sweeping views of some of the…
Hiking a Waimea Canyon Trail: Iliau Nature Loop
How do I put into quantified terms the limitless beauty…
- Explore historic Koloa Town a few minutes away, drive west to Waimea Canyon, or east to Hanalei on the north shore. Enjoy room rates from 43% off.
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise with Hawaii.com!
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Experience Brick Oven Pizza's award-winning, secret recipe, homemade sauces and doughs. Whole pizzas from $12.70 plus soups, salads and more!
- Top Hawaii Cruise Deals: 14 Night Princess Cruise from $1,399
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – All Islands
- SHOP orthotic footwear at Island Feet!
- From $114 - Napali Sunset Tour with Holo Holo Charters!
- From $149 - Friday night Waikiki fireworks dinner cruise
- Free samples with every Bubble Shack Hawaii order!
- From $69 - Whales Guaranteed Sail (Seasonal)
- Hawaii's largest open-air marketplace. $1 Admission/person!
- Hawaii Tours: Choose from over 300 tours across all islands
- Royal Lahaina Golfer’s Paradise Pkg w/4 rounds from $339/nt
- Enjoy an award-winning Sunday Champagne Brunch on Maui!