Places on Kauai
The Garden Isle might be small but there are plenty of places to visit on Kauai. Every neighborhood has something special to unveil and spending time in each of the unique towns gives you an opportunity to see and learn something different.
Kauai is divided into four separate regions – North Shore, Eastside, South Shore and Westside. These areas are host to exclusive features including geography that make them all worth checking out.
Kauai’s North Shore
On the more verdant North Shore are three must-see towns – Hanalei, Princeville and Kilauea; each only about 20 minutes away from one another. Hanalei, which is the location of the famous Hanalei Bay Beach, is a picturesque small town that nestles against the mighty Namolokama Mountain. Princeville is largely known as the location for timeshares and vacation rentals, as well as one of the largest hotels on the island (St. Regis) where mai tais and champagne can be enjoyed with an exquisite view. Kilauea is what a great majority of North Shore residents call home and also boasts the Historic Kong Lung Market Center and the best place to view native seabirds at the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge. Read more
The Eastside of the island is where most of the island’s population resides. Kapaa and Lihue are some of the best places to visit on Kauai for swimmable beaches including Kealia and Kalapaki. These two towns also have plenty of walkable areas to traverse and opportunities to shop and dine.
Kauai’s South Shore
The places to see on Kauai don’t stop there – the South Shore offers something entirely different and it’s almost always sunny there. This also is where you will find one of the newest shopping centers on the island, The Shops at Kukuiula, with a variety of local keepsakes as well as international eateries. Poipu is a great place to stop for a swim or relax beachside, or maybe have a picnic on the grounds of the National Tropical Botanical Garden.
One of the most talked about places to visit on Kauai, however, is located on the Westside in Waimea. Kokee State Park and Waimea Canyon are worth the drive with vistas that rival some of the most beautiful in the world. Kauai’s Biggest Little Town, the artistic Hanapepe, also located on the Westside near Waimea, comes alive every Friday during its Art Night with food and fun for everyone.
Shopping and Eating Seaside in Kapaa Town
No need to worry about the traffic snarl you’ll likely encounter journeying to Kapa‘a town, it never lasts long and the wait is well worth it. This east side destination, where the majority of Kaua‘i’s population resides, is almost always bustling with activity. It is a shopping hub and foodie’s delight, while at the same…
Sunny Poipu, the Premiere Place for Shopping and...
Kaua‘i is known for its astounding natural beauty, but did…
Kilauea: Quaint and Charming on Kauai’s...
Kīlauea is a quaint, charming town located on the gorgeous…
Discover the Old Plantation Town of Koloa
Historic and picturesque, the Koloa district spans from Old Koloa…
- Airport-Hotel Express Shuttle Service – Honolulu, Kahului, Lihue and Kona!
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- From $945 - Oahu & Kauai Island Hopping 6 Night Vacation Incl. Air, Transfers, Breakfast & Taxes
- All Inclusive Hawaii Vacation Packages - Hotel, Activities, Meals and Transfers! Oahu (Waikiki), Maui, Kauai and the Big Island - From Only $840 pp
- Enjoy Wolfgang's superb Porterhouse Steak: $109.95 for two
- Royal Lahaina Resort’s Myths of Maui Luau Special: $90pp
- Find exclusive Hawaii charms at PANDORA in Ala Moana Center.
- Get special shipping discounts from Honolulu Cookie Co.
- Enjoy award-winning wine selections at Il Lupino
- Royal Kona Package: luau, dinner cruise, & more! $310/nt
- Dine on locally sourced and sea dishes in a plantation setting.
- HAPPY HOUR 50% OFF SUSHI AND PUPUS
- Swim with Dolphins in Hawaii’s ocean. Save $10: code HIDEAL
- Take in glorious sunsets at Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort!