Places on Kauai
The Garden Isle might be small but there are plenty of places to visit on Kauai. Every neighborhood has something special to unveil and spending time in each of the unique towns gives you an opportunity to see and learn something different.
Kauai is divided into four separate regions – North Shore, Eastside, South Shore and Westside. These areas are host to exclusive features including geography that make them all worth checking out.
Kauai’s North Shore
On the more verdant North Shore are three must-see towns – Hanalei, Princeville and Kilauea; each only about 20 minutes away from one another. Hanalei, which is the location of the famous Hanalei Bay Beach, is a picturesque small town that nestles against the mighty Namolokama Mountain. Princeville is largely known as the location for timeshares and vacation rentals, as well as one of the largest hotels on the island (St. Regis) where mai tais and champagne can be enjoyed with an exquisite view. Kilauea is what a great majority of North Shore residents call home and also boasts the Historic Kong Lung Market Center and the best place to view native seabirds at the Kilauea Lighthouse and Wildlife Refuge. Read more
The Eastside of the island is where most of the island’s population resides. Kapaa and Lihue are some of the best places to visit on Kauai for swimmable beaches including Kealia and Kalapaki. These two towns also have plenty of walkable areas to traverse and opportunities to shop and dine.
Kauai’s South Shore
The places to see on Kauai don’t stop there – the South Shore offers something entirely different and it’s almost always sunny there. This also is where you will find one of the newest shopping centers on the island, The Shops at Kukuiula, with a variety of local keepsakes as well as international eateries. Poipu is a great place to stop for a swim or relax beachside, or maybe have a picnic on the grounds of the National Tropical Botanical Garden.
One of the most talked about places to visit on Kauai, however, is located on the Westside in Waimea. Kokee State Park and Waimea Canyon are worth the drive with vistas that rival some of the most beautiful in the world. Kauai’s Biggest Little Town, the artistic Hanapepe, also located on the Westside near Waimea, comes alive every Friday during its Art Night with food and fun for everyone.
Shopping and Eating Seaside in Kapaa Town
No need to worry about the traffic snarl you’ll likely encounter journeying to Kapa‘a town, it never lasts long and the wait is well worth it. This east side destination, where the majority of Kaua‘i’s population resides, is almost always bustling with activity. It is a shopping hub and foodie’s delight, while at the same…
Sunny Poipu, the Premiere Place for Shopping and...
Kaua‘i is known for its astounding natural beauty, but did…
Kilauea: Quaint and Charming on Kauai’s...
Kīlauea is a quaint, charming town located on the gorgeous…
Discover the Old Plantation Town of Koloa
Historic and picturesque, the Koloa district spans from Old Koloa…
- Become an A-List Insider with Aqua Hotels & Resorts to Save 10% Plus a Room Upgrade, Welcome Gift and More. Join Today and Book Your Hawaii Getaway.
- From $1,374 - 6-Night Oahu, Kauai & Big Island Vacation w/Air, Flight Transfers, Hotels & Breakfast
- “Kauai Exclusive Vacation Rentals – Island-Wide Luxury From Poipu to Princeville including Waipouli Beach Resort. From $120 Per Night.”
- Make it a group adventure and fly through Kauai's longest zipline - $139pp for up to 12 guests.
- Visiting Hawaii is easy in a rental car from Alamo®. Minivans, economy cars, SUV's and more, Alamo has the rental car for your visit to Hawaii.
- From $135 - Dive Oahu's wrecks, caves and reefs
- Feel the heat on our Kilauea Lava Hike starting from $179!
- Villas at Poipu Kai – The Kauai Boutique Resort, From $299
- Volcano, Maunakea and Waterfall Tours starting at $129!
- Save 15% on your intimate wedding at Paradise Bay Resort
- Enjoy views of Diamond Head at Waikiki Shore by Outrigger!
- Save up to 15% on your Maui Vacation Condo!
- Dine on locally sourced and sea dishes in a plantation setting.
- Frm $179/nt: Find comfort at Napili Shores Maui by Outrigger
- Dolphin Excursions Snorkel Boat from just $120 including Lunch!