A trip to Kaua‘i isn’t complete without a little time spent at one of the many splendid shorelines that decorate the island. Nick-named for its dense vegetation and ornate plant life, the Garden Isle is also notorious for its vast stretches of golden beaches and blue Pacific water.
Whether it’s just digging your feet into the creamy sand or dunking your entire body into the ocean, there are many ways to enjoy the perks of Kaua‘i beaches. You can even sit under a tree in the shade, cozy up with a good book and let the waves serenade you. The good news is that no matter what part of the island you’re staying, there’s at least one celebrated beach nearby.
If you do decide to participate in water recreation, make sure to visit one of the island’s lifeguarded beaches — Kē‘ē, Hanalei, Hā‘ena, Anahola, Lydgate, Keālia, Kekaha, Po‘ipū and Salt Pond — and check ocean conditions before grabbing your snorkeling gear. Due to its isolated, northwestern location along the Hawaiian archipelago, the waters along Kaua‘i’s coasts can get treacherous.
Along the east side are two prominent places to lounge or swim – Lydgate, which is also ideal for families, as there is a rock-lined enclosure that keeps waves out, and the north end of Kealia where more advanced swimmers can bring a boogie board and have fun wrestling with the tide.
Of course, there are other lovely beaches worth visiting, like ‘Anini, Tunnels, Shipwreck and Lumaha‘i, but are only advisable for swimming when the conditions are right. Nonetheless, they make for great picnic locales and places to kick back and appreciate the scenery. You really don’t have to get in the water to reap all the nourishing benefits Kaua‘i beaches have to offer.
Kee Beach: the End of the Road Never Looked So Beautiful
Sometimes when you say you’ve reached the end of the…
Poipu Beach: Turquoise Water, Soft White Sand
Turquoise water paired with gorgeous soft white sand; coconut trees…
Visit a Wilderness Area – Mahaulepu
Mahaʻulepu, the last undeveloped shoreline on Kauaʻi’s southern coast, is…
Visit Polihale Beach on Kauai’s West Side
Polihale, an uncommonly beautiful beach, casts an almost sacred spell…
- Enjoy discounted rates: Use the easy check-in kiosk at Alamo when you arrive at your destination. Drive Happy®
- Nestled on a secluded beach, Hanalei Colony Resort is best described as a magical, heavenly paradise.
- Blue Hawaiian Helicopters has 30+ years of experience. See Hawaii from the sky starting from $148.50.
- Get ready to Pack for Paradise with great rates on Hawaiian vacations including: 3 nights with air starting at $605!
- Visit Oahu, Kauai & Maui: 6-Nt. Island Hopping Adventure w/Air from $1,079
- Group & private surf lessons from Kailua Beach Adventures!
- Enjoy affordable island hopping adventures - BOOK Mokulele!
- 4th Nt Free + Brkf for 2 at Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows.
- Paradise Eco-Adventures - Maui Zipline Adventure from $49.95
- Experience the Haleakala Bike n Zip Tour from $224.95!
- From $959 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Maui Package w/Air & Hotels
- Royal Lahaina Spirit Pkg w/Breakfast, car, parking. $319/nt
- Swim with dolphins & fish in the wild. Save $10: code HIDEAL
- Find your perfect vacation home in Kona from $89/night!
- Experience the newest Kauai Zipline Tour located in Poipu!