King Kamehameha Day
Celebrating the King Kamehameha Day
King Kamehameha was prophesied to unite the Hawaiian Islands from the night of his birth. A comet streaked across the sky fulfilling an ancient prophesy that the child born under this phenomenon would one day rise up as ruler. King Kamehameha the Great demonstrated strength and intelligence as he created a unified island kingdom from what was once warring tribes. For this, we honor him.
April 20, 2020 – Due to the continuing threat and uncertainties surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission announces the cancellation of all King Kamehameha Celebration events statewide, namely lei draping ceremonies, parades and ho`olaule`a’s, on and around the June 11th holiday.
“The decision to cancel these major, statewide events was made with the health and safety of our island communities and kūpuna in mind. While we are hopeful that the worst of the COVID-19 health crisis will be behind us by June, we feel the prudent response at this time is to cancel our events so that all involved in our respective King Kamehameha Celebration festivities across the state can focus on matters important to health, welfare and economy. We look forward to commemorating and celebrating Kamehameha Pai‘ea in 2021,” said Kainoa Daines, Chair of the King Kamehameha Celebration Commission. He added, “The Commission will prepare for next year’s festivities and the 150th anniversary of the Kamehameha Day Holiday in 2022.”
Festivities on Oʻahu
Lei Draping in Honolulu, Oʻahu
Expect to see cultural protocols and pageantry, along with beautiful hand-made lei being draped on the outstretched arms of King Kamehameha.
Festivities on the Island of Hawaiʻi
Lei Draping in Hilo, Hawaiʻi
Expect to see cultural protocols along with beautiful hand-made lei being draped on the outstretched arms of King Kamehameha.
King Kamehameha Day Celebration Parade & Ho‘olaule‘a, Kailua-Kona, Hawaiʻi
Resplendent in the foliage and colors of each island, beautiful women and handsome men make their way along the Parade route.
Ola e Kamehameha I at Four Seasons Resort Hualalai, Hawaiʻi
On Tuesday, June 11 in honor of King Kamehameha Day, Four Seasons Resort Hualalai will host a “kakahiaka (morning) greeting”.
Kamehameha Festival, Hilo, Hawaiʻi
The Kamehameha Festival pays tribute to Kamehameha and acts to protect, preserve, and perpetuate, the Hawaiian culture.
Lei Draping in Kohala, Hawaiʻi
Expect to see cultural protocols along with beautiful hand-made lei being draped on the statue of King Kamehameha.
Festivities on Kaua‘i, Maui, and Moloka‘i
King Kamehameha Ho‘olaule‘a Celebration, Kauai
King Kamehameha Ho‘olaule‘a Celebration on Saturday, June 8, 2019 hosted on the beautiful Kauai Marriott Luau Grounds overlooking Kalapaki Bay
Na Kamehameha Commemorative Paʻu Parade & Hoʻolauleʻa, Lahaina, Maui
Enjoy live announcers and Hawaiian music from the Commentary Stations.
Kamehameha Day Parade, Moloka‘i
Sunday, June 16, 2019 Parade starts at 9:30 am in the center of town.
Support provided by Hawai‘i Tourism through the Community Enrichment Program
- Waikiki Escape: Save up to 20% discount off ultra-luxurious and residential-style rooms and suites when you stay 3 or more nights.
- Scuba Dive from $159 - Cruise the scenic West Oahu coast to an array of dive locations including wrecks, caves and reefs.
- Day trip from Maui to Lanai on the ferry! Explore the island, golf, snorkel and more! Book your activities and ferry trip! $30 each way (adults)
- Special Offer: Oahu private charter tours starting from $599! Choose from swimming with dolphins, sunset cruises, ocean activities & more
- North Shore Macadamia Nut Company: Mac nuts and coffees free to sample! Visit our 2 acre sale site and garden at the North Shore end of Haleiwa town
- $99 Oahu dolphin tour! Buy now, plan later & save BIG!
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Alamo Rent-A-Car: Explore the island
- $979 & up - 6-Nt. Maui & Kauai Island-Hopping Trip w/Air
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military
- Visitor tip: Try Matsumoto's Shave Ice with ice cream!
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- Get low prices everyday with Alamo® in Hawaii.
- Dolphin Excursions Snorkel Boat from just $140 including Lunch!
- Reserve now with National® and be the boss of your getaway.