100 Soldiers That Were Killed in the Pearl Harbor Attack Are Identified After 76 Years

By Associated Press

Members of the Navy Honor Guard parade the colors during the NPS annual USS Oklahoma Memorial ceremony, 2014. Photo: U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Katherine Hofman/Released.

The military has identified 100 sailors and Marines killed when the USS Oklahoma capsized during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor 76 years ago.

The milestone comes two years after the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency dug up nearly 400 sets of remains from a Hawaii cemetery.

Officials exhumed the bodies after determining that advances in forensic science and genealogical help from families made it possible to identify the men. The buried Marines and sailors have been classified as missing since World War II.

The agency has said it expects to identify about 80 percent of the battleship’s missing crew members by 2020.

It said today (December 1, 2017) that it made the most recent identification last week. Many of those identified have been buried in their hometowns. Others have been reinterred in Honolulu.

This story was originally published as 100 killed in Pearl Harbor attack identified after 76 years by the Associated Press on www.staradvertiser.com.

See also:
U.S.S. Oklahoma Memorial – Pearl Harbor

Visit the special Pearl Harbor section at www.hawaii.com/pearl-harbor.

What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!

Recent most reacted articles