Navy Cancels Warship Salute at Pearl Harbor Observance

By Hawaii.com Team

PEARL HARBOR (Dec. 7, 2014) The guided-missile destroyer USS Chung-Hoon (DDG 93) conducts a pass-in-review by the USS Arizona Memorial during the 73rd Anniversary Pearl Harbor Day commemoration ceremony at the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. (U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Katherine Hofman/Released).


For the first time in years, a Navy warship won’t conduct a pass-in-review Thursday as part of the annual Dec. 7, 1941, observance at Pearl Harbor.

The guided missile destroyer USS Chung-Hoon had been slated to pass through the Adm. Clarey Bridge to Ford Island, rendering honors to the sunken USS Utah and USS Arizona.

But for unspecified operational, safety and security reasons, the Navy said the Chung-Hoon won’t be making the transit, and the bridge will remain open to vehicle traffic during the ceremony.

A “missing man” formation flyover will be conducted by F-22 Raptors from the 199th and 19th Fighter Squadrons following a moment of silence. At the conclusion of the ceremony, a 1940s Globe Swift aircraft will also conduct a flyover.

Officials also said Ken Potts, one of the four USS Arizona survivors expected for the commemoration, bowed out late Monday for health reasons and won’t be making the trip.

Potts, 96, lives in Provo, Utah.

Lauren Bruner, 97, of La Mirada, Calif.; Don Stratton, 95, of Colorado Springs, Colo.; and Lou Conter, 96, from Grass Valley, Calif., are still expected. Lonnie Cook, 97, from Morris, Okla., who rounds out the five remaining survivors from the famous battleship, previously indicated he wouldn’t be coming out to Hawaii.

The Pearl Harbor ceremony will be held at 7:50 a.m. Thursday on the back lawn at the USS Arizona Memorial visitor center. The Navy said the public is asked to park at Aloha Stadium, with shuttle buses to the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center beginning at 5:30 a.m.

A security screening will be conducted by Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam security forces before the public is allowed on the buses. More information is available at the event’s website, pearlharborevents.com.

This story was originally published as Navy cancels warship salute at Pearl Harbor observance by William Cole by the Honolulu Star-Advertiser on December 6, 2017.

Visit the special Pearl Harbor section at www.hawaii.com/pearl-harbor.

What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!

Recent most reacted articles

Sanitize your phone with UV rays