Cooking Hawaiian Style – Gourmet Laulau
This week we are honored to have kumu hula, singer, musician, and winner of a Na Hoku Hanohano award, Cody Pueo Pata in our kitchen. Cody also won the Frank B Shaner Falsetto Contest in 2000. Pueo travels across the US and Japan teaching hula and music. He has 3 albums under his belt released in 2000, 2001, and 2017. He is a great talent and represents Hawaii well. Today Pueo makes his Gourmet Laulau recipe.
- 16 large bun long luau leaves or equivalent
- 1 package thick cut bacon, 2 strips per laulau
- 1.5 lbs ribeye steak
- 1.25 lbs meaty pork belly Hawaiian salt
- 3 medium sized green lāʻī (optional for extra flavor)
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- Wash lūʻau leaf, if not “bun long,” de-vein, remove tip
- Remove hāhā, peel, and chop
- Cut beef and pork into bite-size cubes
- Salt meat
- Wrap meat in bacon.
- Lay out 2 lūʻau
- Place bacon-wrapped meat in center
- Place hāhā around the bacon-wrapped meat
- Tightly roll lūʻau around meat
- Wrap half a lāʻī around lūʻau package
- Roll tightly in foil.
1. Steam for 1 hour in pressure cooker or 2 hours in large pot.
Watch the Show
Tune into the Cooking Hawaiian Style show for great recipes and cooking tips! Check your local cable directory or add the Roku channel. If you’ve never seen the show, check out some cooking videos from their archives.
Get more Hawaiian and Hawaiian-style recipes at www.CookingHawaiianStyle.com.
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recent most reacted articles
Cooking Hawaiian Style – Instant Pot Shoyu Chicken
Mckenna Maduli and I have known each other for more…
- Rental Cars