Cooking Hawaiian Style – Gourmet Laulau
This week we are honored to have kumu hula, singer, musician, and winner of a Na Hoku Hanohano award, Cody Pueo Pata in our kitchen. Cody also won the Frank B Shaner Falsetto Contest in 2000. Pueo travels across the US and Japan teaching hula and music. He has 3 albums under his belt released in 2000, 2001, and 2017. He is a great talent and represents Hawaii well. Today Pueo makes his Gourmet Laulau recipe.
- 16 large bun long luau leaves or equivalent
- 1 package thick cut bacon, 2 strips per laulau
- 1.5 lbs ribeye steak
- 1.25 lbs meaty pork belly Hawaiian salt
- 3 medium sized green lāʻī (optional for extra flavor)
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- Wash lūʻau leaf, if not “bun long,” de-vein, remove tip
- Remove hāhā, peel, and chop
- Cut beef and pork into bite-size cubes
- Salt meat
- Wrap meat in bacon.
- Lay out 2 lūʻau
- Place bacon-wrapped meat in center
- Place hāhā around the bacon-wrapped meat
- Tightly roll lūʻau around meat
- Wrap half a lāʻī around lūʻau package
- Roll tightly in foil.
1. Steam for 1 hour in pressure cooker or 2 hours in large pot.
Watch the Show
Get more Hawaiian and Hawaiian-style recipes at www.CookingHawaiianStyle.com.
- Rental Cars