- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Snorkeling on the Big Island
Snorkeling on the Big Island of Hawaiʻi is a unique experience in witnessing the birth of an island. The Big Island is the youngest of all the Hawaiian Islands, therefore it offers the opportunity to snorkel near shorelines where new reefs are forming. The best snorkeling on the Big Island is on the west side where most of the sites are accessible from the beach and a few sites from boat tours.
Prepare to see a plethora of colorful fish, spinner dolphins and graceful Manta Rays.
Kahaluʻu Bay is located off Aliʻi Drive, close to Kailua-Kona, and it’s accessible location makes it the perfect place for an unplanned, last minute snorkel experience. From a distance, it looks like your average tourist beach, but it’s actually one of the best places to snorkel on the Big Island. The shallow bay is home to a number of honu (sea turtles), who enjoy sun bathing on the rocks while being admired by visitors.Read more
For an out of the way Big Island snorkel adventure, drive a bit further south to Honaunau Bay, right next Puʻuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, otherwise known as the City of Refuge. The water is crystal clear and almost always calm. Locals refer to this famous snorkeling spot as “Two Step,” and it’s not uncommon to see dolphins swimming in the bay or turtles lounging around in the shallower waters off to the left. Honaunau Bay is often considered the second best spot for snorkeling on the Big Island after Kealakekua Bay.
Kealakekua Bay is an underwater marine sanctuary located in South Kona and is also home to the Captain Cook monument, which marks the spot where Captain James Cook lost his life in the late 19th Century. This pristine snorkel spot is considered the best on the Big Island. With large varieties of tropical fish, spinner dolphins and fascinating history, it’s difficult to find a more perfect place to dive in. The best way to see the bay is by tour boat. Some charter companies, such as Sea Paradise, also have Manta Ray night snorkels and offer discounts for repeat visitors wanting to go on a night snorkel. Their charter is also the only sailboat charter to depart out of Keauhou Bay, making for a quiet and relaxing day in the water!
Fly over mountains, waterfalls, volcanoes, and the Pacific Ocean.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a city tour of Honolulu. Flight/transport included.
Umauma Falls Zipline: SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking! Code: HAW10
Kealakekua Bay, the Pathway of the Gods
“The Pathway of the Gods”— the pristine underwater sanctuary located…
- Two-Tank Morning Boat Dives where you see pristine coral reef, swim through lava rock arches filled with schools of vibrant colored tropical fish.
- Oahu, Maui and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,359
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! 20% Off Best Available Hotel Rates when pre-paying your stay with Castle Resorts & Hotels.
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $979
- Kona Coast Vacation rentals starting from $89/night! Rentals range in size from studios to 5 bedroom homes, economy to luxury. BOOK NOW!
- Hawaii Ocean Project: Maui's most booked tours for 35 years!
- Find exclusive Hawaii charms at PANDORA in Ala Moana Center.
- Umauma Falls Zipline: SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking! Code: HAW10
- Waikiki Beachcomber by Outrigger; a hidden oasis. From $186
- Private powerboat charters in Kona - $750 per hour
- 50% OFF & Free Breakfast at Oahu's tropical, boutique resort
- Sample heirloom sugar cane rum at Ko Hana Distillery - $25
- Annie’s Burgers-BEST BURGER in HI by Business Insider Mag
- Discover naturally beautiful Big Island from only $139/night
- BAKER'S DOZEN SPECIAL from Hamakua Mac Nut Company-SHOP NOW!