- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on the Big Island
Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau claimed no aquarium, however spacious it may be, can duplicate the conditions of the ocean. This becomes abundantly clear for visitors who venture out for a day on the water looking for, and swimming with, wild dolphins. The Big Island offers ample opportunity to get up close and personal with these intelligent, magnificent creatures.
In the Hawaiian language the name for dolphin is ‘naiʻa.’ There are four different species of dolphins found in the waters surrounding Hawaiʻi. The most common is the Spinner Dolphin, but Bottlenose Dolphins, Spotted Dolphins, and Rough-toothed dolphins also make an occasional appearance.
Once in a Lifetime
Swimming with dolphins on Hawaiʻi Island is available to visitors of all ages. It requires only basic swimming skills and feeling comfortable in deep water. Tour companies take small groups of snorkelers out into the ocean to look for dolphins, and when found swimmers are instructed when to get into the water. The experience of swimming with wild dolphins is often described as an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Best Dolphin Scouting Locales
The Kona and Kohala Coasts on the west side of Hawaiʻi Island are the best places to swim with dolphins. The weather is almost always cooperative, and the water conditions are favorable. It’s not uncommon to run into a pod of Spinner Dolphins while swimming or snorkeling on your own. However, if you want to guarantee your opportunity to see these creatures up close, your best bet is to book a professional tour.
Dolphin Tour Options
Most tours last approximately four hours and include snorkel gear, snacks and beverages. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and a towel. There are several options for seeing dolphins while on Hawaiʻi Island. Dolphin Discoveries offers four-hour dolphin swims and often throws in some snorkel time at Kealakekua Bay, if time permits. For those interested in staying dry and doing some dolphin and marine life watching from aboard, Body Glove Cruises offers dolphin watching trips complete with pupus (appetizers) and a full no-host bar. However you choose to become familiar with these amazing creatures, it will be an experience not soon forgotten.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Breathtaking views on Hawaii''s #1 zipline experience. SAVE w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Annie’s Island Fresh Burgers - Local, Fresh and Organic…it’s all here at Annie’s Burgers in the Mango Court, Kainaliu. Just 15 miles south of Kona.
- Discover the power of Hawai‘i’s cultural traditions, its legacy of exploration and the wonders of astronomy at ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center of Hawai‘i!
- All Inclusive Hawaii Vacation Packages - Hotel, Activities, Meals and Transfers! Oahu (Waikiki), Maui, Kauai and the Big Island - From Only $970 pp
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Oahu
- Whale watching on Maui from $26.74 - BOOK NOW!
- Summit Maunakea, the highest point in the Pacific, from $196
- Island Feet are happy feet! Orthotic footwear - SHOP NOW!
- Royal Lahaina Romance Pkg w/Dinner, luau, & more fr. $499/nt
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military
- Book Online & Save at Royal Lahaina Luau - $108 - BOOK NOW!
- Maunakea Stargazing LIVE in ‘Imiloa’s Planetarium!
- Chinese New Year Buffet - Celebrate Year of the Pig
- Exclusive Oahu Farm to Fork to Forest experience! From $170.
- Flumin' Kohala-Truly a one of a kind experience 808-933-HAWI