- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on the Big Island
Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau claimed no aquarium, however spacious it may be, can duplicate the conditions of the ocean. This becomes abundantly clear for visitors who venture out for a day on the water looking for, and swimming with, wild dolphins. The Big Island offers ample opportunity to get up close and personal with these intelligent, magnificent creatures.
In the Hawaiian language the name for dolphin is ‘naiʻa.’ There are four different species of dolphins found in the waters surrounding Hawaiʻi. The most common is the Spinner Dolphin, but Bottlenose Dolphins, Spotted Dolphins, and Rough-toothed dolphins also make an occasional appearance.
Once in a Lifetime
Swimming with dolphins on Hawaiʻi Island is available to visitors of all ages. It requires only basic swimming skills and feeling comfortable in deep water. Tour companies take small groups of snorkelers out into the ocean to look for dolphins, and when found swimmers are instructed when to get into the water. The experience of swimming with wild dolphins is often described as an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Best Dolphin Scouting Locales
The Kona and Kohala Coasts on the west side of Hawaiʻi Island are the best places to swim with dolphins. The weather is almost always cooperative, and the water conditions are favorable. It’s not uncommon to run into a pod of Spinner Dolphins while swimming or snorkeling on your own. However, if you want to guarantee your opportunity to see these creatures up close, your best bet is to book a professional tour.
Dolphin Tour Options
Most tours last approximately four hours and include snorkel gear, snacks and beverages. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and a towel. There are several options for seeing dolphins while on Hawaiʻi Island. Dolphin Discoveries offers four-hour dolphin swims and often throws in some snorkel time at Kealakekua Bay, if time permits. For those interested in staying dry and doing some dolphin and marine life watching from aboard, Body Glove Cruises offers dolphin watching trips complete with pupus (appetizers) and a full no-host bar. However you choose to become familiar with these amazing creatures, it will be an experience not soon forgotten.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
- Breathtaking views of waterfalls & the Pacific Ocean await you on Hawaii's #1 zipline experience. SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
- Island Feet specializes in orthotic footwear and is committed to fixing your foot problems. FREE foot analysis at their Maui location - SHOP NOW!
- Annie’s Island Fresh Burgers - Local, Fresh and Organic…it’s all here at Annie’s Burgers in the Mango Court, Kainaliu. Just 15 miles south of Kona.
- Island Helicopters offers unique tours around this tropical paradise; including one of Hawaii’s most elite tours, the Jurassic Falls Landing Adventure
- Luxury vacation rentals on the golden Kona Coast - choose from spacious oceanfront estates, fully-equipped private homes and more - BOOK NOW!
- Get on a snorkeling tour at Pu`u Keka`a (Black Rock)!
- Get 15% off paddle board lessons in Kailua w/ code
- Save 20%! Pre-purchase breakfast at Royal Kona Resort
- From $1,359 - Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-Nts. w/Air
- From $79 - Kona Whales-Guaranteed powerboat cruises
- Book online & save $10 on Smith Family Garden Luau, Kauai!
- Sample heirloom sugar cane rum at Ko Hana Distillery - $25
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- Experience Brick Oven Pizza's secret recipes from $12.70!
- $1 admission per person to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet!