- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on the Big Island
Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau claimed no aquarium, however spacious it may be, can duplicate the conditions of the ocean. This becomes abundantly clear for visitors who venture out for a day on the water looking for, and swimming with, wild dolphins. The Big Island offers ample opportunity to get up close and personal with these intelligent, magnificent creatures.
In the Hawaiian language the name for dolphin is ‘naiʻa.’ There are four different species of dolphins found in the waters surrounding Hawaiʻi. The most common is the Spinner Dolphin, but Bottlenose Dolphins, Spotted Dolphins, and Rough-toothed dolphins also make an occasional appearance.
Once in a Lifetime
Swimming with dolphins on Hawaiʻi Island is available to visitors of all ages. It requires only basic swimming skills and feeling comfortable in deep water. Tour companies take small groups of snorkelers out into the ocean to look for dolphins, and when found swimmers are instructed when to get into the water. The experience of swimming with wild dolphins is often described as an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Best Dolphin Scouting Locales
The Kona and Kohala Coasts on the west side of Hawaiʻi Island are the best places to swim with dolphins. The weather is almost always cooperative, and the water conditions are favorable. It’s not uncommon to run into a pod of Spinner Dolphins while swimming or snorkeling on your own. However, if you want to guarantee your opportunity to see these creatures up close, your best bet is to book a professional tour.
Dolphin Tour Options
Most tours last approximately three hours and include snorkel gear, snacks and beverages. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and a towel. There are several options for seeing dolphins while on Hawaiʻi Island.
Hawaii Dolphin offers 3-hour dolphin cruises that include snorkeling. For those interested in staying dry, private charter tours offer a no-swimming option at a $200 discount. Private charters are a great way to practice social distancing and still enjoy Hawaii’s ocean with your family and friends. Bring your own snacks and drinks to enjoy and celebrate special occasions such as birthdays and anniversaries.
However you choose to become familiar with these amazing creatures, it will be an experience not soon forgotten.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,369
- From $79 - Whales Guaranteed from Hawaii Nautical: If you don't see whales on our WHALE WATCH trips (December - April), come back again for free!
- REOPENING Dec 20th - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau - BOOK NOW
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island multi-island adventures! 6-night packages from $1,099
- Shop Kauai Coffee Company's outstanding coffee
- Kona Luxury Sail - Dolphin Watching and Snorkeling ($389 pp)
- From $79 - Whales Guaranteed Sail (Seasonal)
- Book Your Honeymoon Cruise!
- From $129 - Dolphins Guaranteed Sail in West Oahu
- REOPENING Dec 20th - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau
- From $719 - Oahu & Kauai, 6-Nt Multi-Island Adventure
- From $89 - Waikiki Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- From $1,089 - Oahu, Kona & Hilo 6-Nt Island-Hop Adventure
- 7-Day Hawaiian Escape from $999 in 2021! SAVE $500 per couple!