- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on the Big Island
Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau claimed no aquarium, however spacious it may be, can duplicate the conditions of the ocean. This becomes abundantly clear for visitors who venture out for a day on the water looking for, and swimming with, wild dolphins. The Big Island offers ample opportunity to get up close and personal with these intelligent, magnificent creatures.
In the Hawaiian language the name for dolphin is ‘naiʻa.’ There are four different species of dolphins found in the waters surrounding Hawaiʻi. The most common is the Spinner Dolphin, but Bottlenose Dolphins, Spotted Dolphins, and Rough-toothed dolphins also make an occasional appearance.
Once in a Lifetime
Swimming with dolphins on Hawaiʻi Island is available to visitors of all ages. It requires only basic swimming skills and feeling comfortable in deep water. Tour companies take small groups of snorkelers out into the ocean to look for dolphins, and when found swimmers are instructed when to get into the water. The experience of swimming with wild dolphins is often described as an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Best Dolphin Scouting Locales
The Kona and Kohala Coasts on the west side of Hawaiʻi Island are the best places to swim with dolphins. The weather is almost always cooperative, and the water conditions are favorable. It’s not uncommon to run into a pod of Spinner Dolphins while swimming or snorkeling on your own. However, if you want to guarantee your opportunity to see these creatures up close, your best bet is to book a professional tour.
Dolphin Tour Options
Most tours last approximately four hours and include snorkel gear, snacks and beverages. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and a towel. There are several options for seeing dolphins while on Hawaiʻi Island. Dolphin Discoveries offers four-hour dolphin swims and often throws in some snorkel time at Kealakekua Bay, if time permits. For those interested in staying dry and doing some dolphin and marine life watching from aboard, Body Glove Cruises offers dolphin watching trips complete with pupus (appetizers) and a full no-host bar. However you choose to become familiar with these amazing creatures, it will be an experience not soon forgotten.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Over 2,000 species are found in this one-of-a-kind garden.
- Special Offer: $999 Big Island private dolphin tour for 10 people! Explore the beautiful Kona coast with an intimate private party
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car® offers locations throughout Hawaii in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaneohe, and more. Low rates, and award winning service. Book now!
- National® has the perfect rental car for your trip to Hawaii. Reserve now and take control.
- 6-night Big Island & Kauai island-hopping adventure, starting from $959
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,249
- Adventure Starts Here! Northshore Zipline Maui - $119/person
- Discounts at Dolphin Quest for Hawaii Residents and Military
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Kaku Sushi, Waikiki: Made-to-Order Sushi Buffet!
- Join Haleiwa Shark Tours for an unforgettable experience.
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- The Suite Escape: Receive 4th Night FREE at Trump Waikiki
- 7-Day Hawaiian Escape from $999 in 2021! SAVE $500 per couple!
- Experience all of Oahu on an Island and You tour! $10 off with code HIDEAL
- "GUARANTEED" Dolphin Tour with Snorkeling Na Pali