- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on the Big Island
Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau claimed no aquarium, however spacious it may be, can duplicate the conditions of the ocean. This becomes abundantly clear for visitors who venture out for a day on the water looking for, and swimming with, wild dolphins. The Big Island offers ample opportunity to get up close and personal with these intelligent, magnificent creatures.
In the Hawaiian language the name for dolphin is ‘naiʻa.’ There are four different species of dolphins found in the waters surrounding Hawaiʻi. The most common is the Spinner Dolphin, but Bottlenose Dolphins, Spotted Dolphins, and Rough-toothed dolphins also make an occasional appearance.
Once in a Lifetime
Swimming with dolphins on Hawaiʻi Island is available to visitors of all ages. It requires only basic swimming skills and feeling comfortable in deep water. Tour companies take small groups of snorkelers out into the ocean to look for dolphins, and when found swimmers are instructed when to get into the water. The experience of swimming with wild dolphins is often described as an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Best Dolphin Scouting Locales
The Kona and Kohala Coasts on the west side of Hawaiʻi Island are the best places to swim with dolphins. The weather is almost always cooperative, and the water conditions are favorable. It’s not uncommon to run into a pod of Spinner Dolphins while swimming or snorkeling on your own. However, if you want to guarantee your opportunity to see these creatures up close, your best bet is to book a professional tour.
Dolphin Tour Options
Most tours last approximately four hours and include snorkel gear, snacks and beverages. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and a towel. There are several options for seeing dolphins while on Hawaiʻi Island. Dolphin Discoveries offers four-hour dolphin swims and often throws in some snorkel time at Kealakekua Bay, if time permits. For those interested in staying dry and doing some dolphin and marine life watching from aboard, Body Glove Cruises offers dolphin watching trips complete with pupus (appetizers) and a full no-host bar. However you choose to become familiar with these amazing creatures, it will be an experience not soon forgotten.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Visit Pearl Harbor and take a tour of Oahu Island. Flight/transport included.
- One-Day Neighbor Island Tours from Honolulu - Maui, Kauai or the Big Isle!
- Flumin' Kohala has exclusive access to the Kohala Ditch Company's century old irrigation system. It's a ride of a lifetime! 808-933-HAWI
- Book Your Family Cruise Vacation with Hawaii.com!
- Locally owned and operated, Island Helicopters has nearly 40 years in the tourism industry on the Garden Island of Kauai.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car® offers locations throughout Hawaii in Honolulu, Kailua, Kaneohe, and more. Low rates, and award winning service. Book now!
- Live-Action & Virtual Reality escape games! All private!
- Cozy Kokee Museum, always waiting. Admission by donation.
- Book Online & Save at Royal Lahaina Luau - $108 - BOOK NOW!
- SAVE $49.50! Free child’s ticket with purchase of adult ticket!
- Join Haleiwa Shark Tours for an unforgettable experience.
- National Car Rental: Save with National
- Get Best Prices For Our Spectacular Beachside Maui Luau
- Tropical Hawaiian Tours: Oahu Circle Island Tour - $100/person
- From $1,179 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- A Local Favorite: Music, Cocktails & Cuisine at Blue Note