- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Dolphin Encounters on the Big Island
Famed oceanographer Jacques Cousteau claimed no aquarium, however spacious it may be, can duplicate the conditions of the ocean. This becomes abundantly clear for visitors who venture out for a day on the water looking for, and swimming with, wild dolphins. The Big Island offers ample opportunity to get up close and personal with these intelligent, magnificent creatures.
In the Hawaiian language the name for dolphin is ‘naiʻa.’ There are four different species of dolphins found in the waters surrounding Hawaiʻi. The most common is the Spinner Dolphin, but Bottlenose Dolphins, Spotted Dolphins, and Rough-toothed dolphins also make an occasional appearance.
Once in a Lifetime
Swimming with dolphins on Hawaiʻi Island is available to visitors of all ages. It requires only basic swimming skills and feeling comfortable in deep water. Tour companies take small groups of snorkelers out into the ocean to look for dolphins, and when found swimmers are instructed when to get into the water. The experience of swimming with wild dolphins is often described as an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience.
The Best Dolphin Scouting Locales
The Kona and Kohala Coasts on the west side of Hawaiʻi Island are the best places to swim with dolphins. The weather is almost always cooperative, and the water conditions are favorable. It’s not uncommon to run into a pod of Spinner Dolphins while swimming or snorkeling on your own. However, if you want to guarantee your opportunity to see these creatures up close, your best bet is to book a professional tour.
Dolphin Tour Options
Most tours last approximately four hours and include snorkel gear, snacks and beverages. Don’t forget to bring sunscreen and a towel. There are several options for seeing dolphins while on Hawaiʻi Island. Dolphin Discoveries offers four-hour dolphin swims and often throws in some snorkel time at Kealakekua Bay, if time permits. For those interested in staying dry and doing some dolphin and marine life watching from aboard, Body Glove Cruises offers dolphin watching trips complete with pupus (appetizers) and a full no-host bar. However you choose to become familiar with these amazing creatures, it will be an experience not soon forgotten.
Dolphin Encounters Directory
Breathtaking views on Hawaii''s #1 zipline experience. SAVE w/ 7 day advance booking w/CODE HAW10.
Self-guided day trip packages available from Maui, Kauai and Big Island. Includes flight, car and Arizona Memorial.
Visit Pearl Harbor and tour Oahu on a self-guided day trip. Flight/car rental included.
Umauma Falls Zipline: SAVE 10% w/ 7 day advance booking! Code: HAW10
- Grand Naniloa Hotel: Embrace Hawaiian culture. Get lost in the melody. Authentic hula experiences every Monday evening.
- All Inclusive Hawaii Vacation Packages - Hotel, Activities, Meals and Transfers! Oahu (Waikiki), Maui, Kauai and the Big Island - From Only $970 pp
- NEW Limited Time Promotion: Extend your stay at Royal Kona Resort with a 5th night free. Book by July 15th.
- Visit the USS Arizona Memorial & USS Missouri and take a city tour of Honolulu from $89.99. Tours from Maui, Kauai and Big Island start at $429.99.
- Enjoy The Encounter at Dolphin Quest Hawaii from $210
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Get great rates
- Get $10 OFF jet ski & flyboard activities on Maui! BOOK NOW
- Honeymoon/Anniversary Special - FREE Bottle of Champagne
- RIDE Horseback, Double Zipline & more-starting at just $119!
- Kauai Sea Tours takes you to remote beaches others cannot!
- "Best of Hanalei” Luau every Wednesday - Discounts Offered
- Wolfgang personal favorite Porterhouse Steak $109.95 for two
- Hawaii Ocean Project: Maui's most booked tours for 35 years!
- Enjoy The Kapalua Villas Maui from 56% off!
- 45% off hotel + free breakfast for 2. Save addt'l $32 daily!