Big Island Harley Adventures
Hawaii roads are vast and long, making it an interesting riding experience. Think of the island as a large circle shape with a few zigzagging connector roads. There are two key highways, 11 and 19, and all maps show the Saddle Road or Highway 200 (highway is very loosely used) but ask around before taking this path. Pick up a 101 Things to Do magazine at the airport baggage area for key section maps of the island. Study the maps and you will find a few shortcuts to different parts of the island. Hawaii offers great day trips. You will find the roadways well-marked and signage is easy to follow.
Hawaii has five major areas; Kailua-Kona, Kohala, Hilo, Volcano National Park and Waimea.
- Tip #1 Often on Hawaii, there is really only one way in and one way out. It is a once-in-a-lifetime drive, but we recommend getting an aerial view from a helicopter and then driving to your selected favorites.
- Tip #2 Swimmable beaches are harder to find here, but worth the effort — enjoy discovering as many as you can.
- Tip #3 From Kailua to Kona and Kahala, you will think you’re riding on the moon.
- Tip #4 Volcano is a must see, plus a very unique drive. You can see snow and experience 90 degree temperatures on the Chain of Craters road, all on the same day! Take the leathers.
- Tip #5 Waimea and Parker Ranch is a great step back into time and nice cruise up the coast.
- Tip #6 Kailua at night is the best cruise along Aliʻi Drive, enjoy the sunset.
It is a eight-hour drive to circle the island, with much to see and do!
What did you think? Share your reaction and earn 100 points!
Recent most reacted articles
Renewal project bringing major upgrades to Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kā‘anapali Beach Hotel, Hawaii's Most Hawaiian Hotel, is about to…
What You Should Know About the Coronavirus
There are no cases of Coronavirus (COVID-19) identified in Hawai‘i…
- Rental Cars