- Boating & Sailing
- Dolphin Encounters
- Scuba Diving
- Water Sports
- Whale Watching
Farm Tours on the Big Island
The Big Island is the agricultural mecca of Hawaiʻi. With a land area of over 4,000 square miles, Hawaiʻi Island produces the majority of the state’s agricultural products. From coffee and macadamia nuts, to cocoa beans, vanilla and honey, Hawaiʻi’s crops are the most unique in the nation. So make a date with a Big Island farmer and be introduced to the world of tropical agriculture!
Coffee Farm Tours
Most people are familiar with Kona Coffee and coffee farm tours are a popular activity for many Big Island visitors. However other districts on the island grow delicious coffee beans as well. Kaʻu Coffee Mill in the district of Kaʻu provides free farm tours as well as a lovely retail store that sells a wide variety of Kaʻu coffee, macadamia nuts, art and gifts from local artists and producers. Long Ears Hawaiian Coffee is another less known coffee farm located above Honokaʻa on the magnificent Hāmākua Coast. Stroll the lush farm and see not only several types of coffee trees, but taro plants. banana trees and other tropical produce.
Did you know vanilla is a flavoring derived from orchids? That delicious bean used to flavor ice cream and a host of other delicious foods comes from flowers produced on the Big Island, and learning how they are grown is both fascinating and delicious. The Hawaiian Vanilla Company was established in 1998 along the Hāmākua Coast of the Big Island. The farm tour is both educational and entertaining. After the tour, experience the farm’s Vanilla Luncheon—a mouth watering feast of dishes all made with vanilla grown on-site, or join the proprietors for Upcountry Tea in the afternoon. It’s a once in a lifetime experience! Reservations are required.Tea Farm Tour
For tea lovers, Mauna Kea Tea on the Big Island offers private tastings and tours of their sustainable, organic tea farm. Take a guided walk through the tea fields and taste seasonal teas in the tearoom. Gain a new appreciation for tea and connect with nature while learning about earth-friendly farming practices. The tour is about 1.5 hours and run Monday, Wednesday and Thursday at 10 am.
Cacao Farm Tour
Chocolate is Aloha! At least according to the folks at the Original Hawaiian Chocolate Factory Farm. This working farm is located in the Keauhou area of Kona and has been producing cacao and chocolate since 1997. The island’s rain showers, volcanic soil and tropical sun provide the perfect environment for growing cacao trees that produce a unique chocolate flavor. Learn the step-by step process of making chocolate, and of course the best part is sampling the goods! Farm and factory tours are offered Wednesday mornings at 9:00am and Friday mornings at 9:00am and 11:00am. Reservations are required.
Honey Farm Tours
Rare Hawaiian blossoms produce beautifully flavored honey. Big Island Bees in Captain Cook uses nectar from lehua blossoms, macadamia nut blossoms and wilelaiki blossoms, to create intensely flavored honeys produced from a single floral source and aren’t heated or filtered. Guest can join their beekeeper for a tour of the farm and learn about beekeeping and honey making from a safe, screened-in viewing area. There’s also a museum to learn more about the history of honey production and of course free samples of their delicious, raw, organic honey.
In a misty cloud forest on the slopes of Mauna Loa volcano, Big Island Tea is producing ultra premium single-batch whole leaf black and green tea. Private or group tours of the lush tea garden are available, and guests can enjoy a cupping experience of both the ʻAʻa Black Tea and Kilinoe Green Tea. Tours are held at 10 am and 2 pm daily and last about 2 hours. Workshops to learn the start to finish art of tea processing are also available. Workshops start at 9 am and finish around 4 pm. Be sure to book ahead! Reservations are required.
Farm Tours Directory
- 4-Island-hopping adventure: Oahu, Kauai, Maui & Big Island 8-night package from $1,319
- Aloha Hawaiian Vacations’ Original All-Inclusive Packages from $970 per person including Hotel, Transfers, Breakfasts, Most Meals & Activities
- From $89 - World class scuba diving on the Ko Olina Coast with Hawaii Nauticalina Coast
- Best of Hawaii 4-Island Tour 2021 departures starting at $1,999! SAVE $500 per couple on a 12-day guided tour with inter-island flights included.
- Change the Way you See Hawaii with Shaka Guide’s GPS audio driving tours! It’s like having a tour guide in your car.
- $1,509 & up -- Hawaii: Beach & Volcano 8-Nights w/Air & Car
- Must Try Snacks. Hand picked by your Island Favorites
- Visit Giovanni's, the North Shore Oahu's best shrimp truck!
- From $889 - Oahu & Kauai, 6-Nt Multi-Island Adventure
- From $1,159 - Big Island, Kauai & Maui 6-Nts. w/Air & Hotels
- Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - Maui's Best Luau
- Maui Babe® lotions love your skin! Get yours today!
- From $949 - 6-Nt. Big Island & Maui Package w/Air & Hotels
- Shaka Guide: Choose from 21 Socially-Distanced Audio Tours
- From $89- West Oahu Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical