Ancient Hawaiian fishponds are a good example of aquaculture at its finest. Only a few of the 100 or so that once existed on Oahu still remain. One, owned by Kualoa Ranch, is still operational.
Hawaiians are the only Polynesians known to harness the ocean's bounty using brackish waterponds near the ocean for stocking and harvesting fish, and controlling their main food source, algae. During ancient times when the ponds were controlled by the ali'i (chiefs), most of the fish was reserved for their consumption. If a chief's land had ample fishponds, it was known as 'aina momona, fat or sweet lands.
Hawaiians used two types of ponds - inshore and offshore. Brackish groundwater, flowing seaward through the porous lava rock, filled depressions in the rock, creating a unique habitat found nowhere else in the United States. Open-sea ponds were artificially enclosed with rock walls (kuapu), and had sluice gates, called makaha, that connected the pond to the sea.
He'eia Fishpond, an 88-acre, brackish water pond that was in use as late as the 1950s, is located near He'eia State Park on Oahu's windward coast. A good view of the pond is available from the park. Another picturesque pond is further north on Kamehameha Highway. Kahalu'u Pond features a 1,200-foot long wall planted with coconut trees and is best viewed from the Pineapple Hut souvenir shop.
The Moli'i Fishpond is the only one still operational and commercially successful. The pond, which is owned by the Kualoa Ranch, is divided into two sections, and three makaha connect it to Kaneohe Bay. Fish cultivated in the pond are sold to local markets.
Further north, on Kamehameha Highway, is the Huilua Fishpond, located on the east side of the massive Kahana Bay. The pond is a National Historic Landmark and is usually only visible at low tide due to poor upkeep.
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- From $1,145 - Oahu Hyatt Hotel 5-Night Vacation w/Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- From $1,369 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Aqua Lotus, incl. evening wine service, cruiser bikes, yoga, and more - $199
- $865+ Hilton Hawaiian Village® Waikiki Beach Resort: 3 nights w/air and FREE roundtrip transfers PLUS Kids 18 & younger stay FREE!
- Go Oahu Card: 36 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% on the best of Oahu now!
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Touch, swim with, or even KISS a dolphin!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- SAVE Manta Ray Snorkel or World’s Only Glass Bottom Manta Watch @ BlueSeaCruisesInc.com 2 Manta tours
- $609+ Hawaii Vacations with Air and FREE rental car or transfers