Ancient Hawaiian fishponds are a good example of aquaculture at its finest. Only a few of the 100 or so that once existed on Oahu still remain. One, owned by Kualoa Ranch, is still operational.
Hawaiians are the only Polynesians known to harness the ocean's bounty using brackish waterponds near the ocean for stocking and harvesting fish, and controlling their main food source, algae. During ancient times when the ponds were controlled by the ali'i (chiefs), most of the fish was reserved for their consumption. If a chief's land had ample fishponds, it was known as 'aina momona, fat or sweet lands.
Hawaiians used two types of ponds - inshore and offshore. Brackish groundwater, flowing seaward through the porous lava rock, filled depressions in the rock, creating a unique habitat found nowhere else in the United States. Open-sea ponds were artificially enclosed with rock walls (kuapu), and had sluice gates, called makaha, that connected the pond to the sea.
He'eia Fishpond, an 88-acre, brackish water pond that was in use as late as the 1950s, is located near He'eia State Park on Oahu's windward coast. A good view of the pond is available from the park. Another picturesque pond is further north on Kamehameha Highway. Kahalu'u Pond features a 1,200-foot long wall planted with coconut trees and is best viewed from the Pineapple Hut souvenir shop.
The Moli'i Fishpond is the only one still operational and commercially successful. The pond, which is owned by the Kualoa Ranch, is divided into two sections, and three makaha connect it to Kaneohe Bay. Fish cultivated in the pond are sold to local markets.
Further north, on Kamehameha Highway, is the Huilua Fishpond, located on the east side of the massive Kahana Bay. The pond is a National Historic Landmark and is usually only visible at low tide due to poor upkeep.
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- From $1,516 - Big Island + Kauai + Maui Island Hopping Trip: 9 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers, Hotels, Breakfast & Taxes
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Wave
- Exceptionally spacious rooms in Central Waikiki at Aqua Waikiki Pearl - $97
- Waikiki's best value, Maile Sky Court - $113
- $715+ Hilton Hawaiian Village® Waikiki Beach Resort: 3 Nights with Air. FREE fullsize car rental, $100 off PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE!
- Contemporary boutique hotel 1 block from Waikiki Beach, Aqua Palms Waikiki
- Kids Aquatic Adventure at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $275
- Iconic Waikiki vistas & vintage hospitality at the Aqua Ilikai Hotel and Suites - $158
- Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk - $289
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Hawaii 3 nights w/ Air – FREE fullsize Car PLUS save up to $100!