From December to May, anyone who climbs aboard a vessel and heads for the open ocean off Oahu can expect to see humpback whales. There are so many of them that most boat companies don’t hesitate to guarantee sightings of these 40-ton creatures, particularly when they leap outof the water and put on a show.
Every year, the humpbacks travel 2,500 to 3,000 miles from their summer feeding grounds in Alaska to mate and give birth in Hawaii. In total, about 7,000 of them will take a spin through Hawaii’s waters, coming and going at their own pace.
Some good whale watching spots from the shore are: Ka'ena Point, Halona Blowhole Lookout, Hanauma Bay, Shark's Cove, Makapu'u Point Lighthouse, Turtle Bay Resort, Lanikai, and Makapu Point (Marine Corps Base Hawaii).
For your personal whale tale, book a tour on a whale watching cruise or fishing boat. Shoreline spotting is best from January to March when humpback activity peaks on the island.
The Island’s of Hawaii take great joy in hosting the whales each year, with Maui usually planning the most activities and celebrations around their migration.
|Gigantic Visitors Put on a Show||Humpback Facts|
|Sighting whales, giants of the deep||Top 10 Oahu whale lookouts|
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- $565+ Hawaii 3 nights with Air & FREE fullsize Car
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Hilton Waikiki Beach - $170
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort - $249
- $789 The Royal Hawaiian - A Luxury Collection Resort: 3 Nights with air and car. Includes FREE fullsize car rental, daily breakfast for 2 & more!
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- $825+ Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort & Spa: 3 Nights with air and car. Includes FREE fullsize car rental PLUS kids 12 & under stay and eat FREE!
- Luana Waikiki, a contemporary boutique hotel located just a short stroll from Waikiki Beach - $119
- From $1,195 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- $599+ Waikiki / Oahu 3 nights w/Air. FREE fullsize Car Rental at select resorts.
- Aqua Lotus, incl. evening wine service, cruiser bikes, yoga, and more - $199
- Soundproof rooms, Jacuzzi tubs, continental breakfast and more at Aqua Waikiki Joy Hotel - $132
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers