From December to May, anyone who climbs aboard a vessel and heads for the open ocean off Oahu can expect to see humpback whales. There are so many of them that most boat companies don’t hesitate to guarantee sightings of these 40-ton creatures, particularly when they leap outof the water and put on a show.
Every year, the humpbacks travel 2,500 to 3,000 miles from their summer feeding grounds in Alaska to mate and give birth in Hawaii. In total, about 7,000 of them will take a spin through Hawaii’s waters, coming and going at their own pace.
Some good whale watching spots from the shore are: Ka'ena Point, Halona Blowhole Lookout, Hanauma Bay, Shark's Cove, Makapu'u Point Lighthouse, Turtle Bay Resort, Lanikai, and Makapu Point (Marine Corps Base Hawaii).
For your personal whale tale, book a tour on a whale watching cruise or fishing boat. Shoreline spotting is best from January to March when humpback activity peaks on the island.
The Island’s of Hawaii take great joy in hosting the whales each year, with Maui usually planning the most activities and celebrations around their migration.
|Gigantic Visitors Put on a Show||Humpback Facts|
|Sighting whales, giants of the deep||Top 10 Oahu whale lookouts|
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Hawaii 3 nights w/ Air – FREE fullsize Car PLUS save up to $100!
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Waikiki's best value, Maile Sky Court - $113
- Contemporary boutique hotel 1 block from Waikiki Beach, Aqua Palms Waikiki
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Pearl
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Come and be part of history at surfing’s ultimate experience with one of our special package offers. VIP access is only the beginning...
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
- From $1,019 - Oahu Hyatt Hotel 5-Night Vacation w/Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- From $915 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers