From December to May, anyone who climbs aboard a vessel and heads for the open ocean off Oahu can expect to see humpback whales. There are so many of them that most boat companies don’t hesitate to guarantee sightings of these 40-ton creatures, particularly when they leap outof the water and put on a show.
Every year, the humpbacks travel 2,500 to 3,000 miles from their summer feeding grounds in Alaska to mate and give birth in Hawaii. In total, about 7,000 of them will take a spin through Hawaii’s waters, coming and going at their own pace.
Some good whale watching spots from the shore are: Ka'ena Point, Halona Blowhole Lookout, Hanauma Bay, Shark's Cove, Makapu'u Point Lighthouse, Turtle Bay Resort, Lanikai, and Makapu Point (Marine Corps Base Hawaii).
For your personal whale tale, book a tour on a whale watching cruise or fishing boat. Shoreline spotting is best from January to March when humpback activity peaks on the island.
The Island’s of Hawaii take great joy in hosting the whales each year, with Maui usually planning the most activities and celebrations around their migration.
|Gigantic Visitors Put on a Show||Humpback Facts|
|Sighting whales, giants of the deep||Top 10 Oahu whale lookouts|
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort - $249
- Aqua Lotus, incl. evening wine service, cruiser bikes, yoga, and more - $199
- Dolphin Encounter at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $225
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- Experience Sea Life Park Hawaii - $32
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Pearl
- From $1,075 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Maui Package w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Hilton Grand Vacations Suites at Hilton Hawaiian Village - $197
- Enjoy a Dolphin Duo package for 2 at Dolphin Quest Oahu
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers