From December to May, anyone who climbs aboard a vessel and heads for the open ocean off Oahu can expect to see humpback whales. There are so many of them that most boat companies don’t hesitate to guarantee sightings of these 40-ton creatures, particularly when they leap outof the water and put on a show.
Every year, the humpbacks travel 2,500 to 3,000 miles from their summer feeding grounds in Alaska to mate and give birth in Hawaii. In total, about 7,000 of them will take a spin through Hawaii’s waters, coming and going at their own pace.
Some good whale watching spots from the shore are: Ka'ena Point, Halona Blowhole Lookout, Hanauma Bay, Shark's Cove, Makapu'u Point Lighthouse, Turtle Bay Resort, Lanikai, and Makapu Point (Marine Corps Base Hawaii).
For your personal whale tale, book a tour on a whale watching cruise or fishing boat. Shoreline spotting is best from January to March when humpback activity peaks on the island.
The Island’s of Hawaii take great joy in hosting the whales each year, with Maui usually planning the most activities and celebrations around their migration.
|Gigantic Visitors Put on a Show||Humpback Facts|
|Sighting whales, giants of the deep||Top 10 Oahu whale lookouts|
- $539+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and 'Jurassic Park Falls' views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- $1,129+ Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa: 4 nights w/Air. FREE Hertz Rental Upgrade, FREE Wi-Fi PLUS kids 17 & younger stay FREE.
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Diamond Head Crater, Hanauma Bay, and Koolau Mountain views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Go Oahu Card: 36 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% on the best of Oahu now!
- Hawaiian Sand & Surf Package - make the most of the water!
- Hawaii Adventure Pass - make the most of the sun & sand with this package.
- Oahu sightseeing tours - let someone else do the driving.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers