To early Hawaiians, surfing was more than catching and riding waves. It was the center of social and ritual activities that began with the selection of the tree from which the board would be carved and progressed to legendary surfing contests for the ali’i (chiefs). In religion, inlanguage, in story and song, surfing was a significant part of the rich tapestry of life in Hawaii.
Today's surfers are no less enchanted by the sport. When the surf's up, all else pales in significance. Surfing captures one's body and soul through the very power and fury of the ocean, and it never lets you go.
Waikiki, with reliable waves almost all year round, is a good choice for the beginner.
The "Seven Mile Miracle," which stretches from Hale’iwa to Sunset Beach on Oahu’s North Shore, contains many of the major surf spots on this wintertime big wave coast, including Rocky Point, Banzai Pipeline, Ehukai, Waimea Bay, Chun's Reef, Laniakea, and Sunset Beach.
Surfing pros, male and female, offer lessons throughout the island.
|Beaches on Oahu||Learn to Surf|
|North Shore Beach Guide||Oahu's Great Surfing Beaches|
- $565+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Aqua Lotus, incl. evening wine service, cruiser bikes, yoga, and more - $199
- Experience Sea Life Park Hawaii - $32
- Luana Waikiki, a contemporary boutique hotel located just a short stroll from Waikiki Beach - $119
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- $565+ Waikiki / Oahu 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - Jeeps, exotic cars, motorcycles, and more!
- From $985 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- Grand Waikikian Suites by Hilton Grand Vacations from $296
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Hilton Waikiki Beach - $170
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers