To early Hawaiians, surfing was more than catching and riding waves. It was the center of social and ritual activities that began with the selection of the tree from which the board would be carved and progressed to legendary surfing contests for the ali’i (chiefs). In religion, inlanguage, in story and song, surfing was a significant part of the rich tapestry of life in Hawaii.
Today's surfers are no less enchanted by the sport. When the surf's up, all else pales in significance. Surfing captures one's body and soul through the very power and fury of the ocean, and it never lets you go.
Waikiki, with reliable waves almost all year round, is a good choice for the beginner.
The "Seven Mile Miracle," which stretches from Hale’iwa to Sunset Beach on Oahu’s North Shore, contains many of the major surf spots on this wintertime big wave coast, including Rocky Point, Banzai Pipeline, Ehukai, Waimea Bay, Chun's Reef, Laniakea, and Sunset Beach.
Surfing pros, male and female, offer lessons throughout the island.
|Beaches on Oahu||Learn to Surf|
|North Shore Beach Guide||Oahu's Great Surfing Beaches|
- $559+ Hawaii 3-Night Vacations with Air – FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Hilton Hawaii Deals - starting at just $169
- Kids Aquatic Adventure at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $275
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Hawaii Pirate Ship Adventures Lost Treasure Excursion - $45
- $559+ Waikiki / Oahu 3 nights w/Air. Includes FREE Hertz mid-size rental!
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- From $1,089 - Oahu Hyatt Hotel 5-Night Vacation w/Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- Waikiki's leading eco-friendly boutique hotel, discover an oasis of calm at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Luana Waikiki, a contemporary boutique hotel located just a short stroll from Waikiki Beach - $119
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers