Shark Encounters on Oahu
Maybe you’ve done the snorkeling and scuba diving yet you’d like a bigger thrill. Having an up-close-and-personal shark encounter may be exactly what you’re looking for. Get ready to feel humble in the presence of one of nature’s most perfect predators.
The North Shore of Oahu is where the shark encounter tours originate, usually from Haleiwa Harbor. As you head off the coast, other marine life such as Hawaiian green sea turtles, dolphins, and humpback whales during the migration season. Sharks can be seen from the vessel and guests have the choice of going into the shark cage, a secure enclosure to view sharks through near the surface of the water.
The shark cage provides visibility of approximately 200 feet, making it possible to see sharks coming up—and at you—from the deep. You can expect to see sharks ranging from 5- to 15-feet just inches away from the cage.
With the exception of man, the shark is considered nature's most perfect predator. This is a creature that, as an adult, grows seven- to 12-sets of teeth a year, has no breakable bones and actually possess six highly developed senses.
On a shark tour, passengers can expect to see gray reef, Galapagos, sandbar and hammerhead sharks. The early Hawaiians worshiped shark gods. In Hawaii, each island had a different god. The king shark god of Oahu is Kamohoali'i, who is said to reside in an underwater cave near Pearl Harbor.
- Affordable suites in the Heart of Waikiki, Hokele Suites Waikiki - 15% Off Best Available Rate
- Exceptionally spacious rooms in Central Waikiki at Aqua Waikiki Pearl - $97
- Soundproof rooms, Jacuzzi tubs, continental breakfast and more at Aqua Waikiki Joy Hotel - $132
- Hilton Grand Vacations Suites at Hilton Hawaiian Village - $197
- From $1,049 - Oahu Hyatt Hotel 5-Night Vacation w/Airfare, Hyatt Hotel Stay, Breakfast & Taxes
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Hilton Waikiki Beach - $170
- DoubleTree by Hilton Alana Waikiki Hotel - $249
- $759+ Moana Surfrider - A Westin Resort & Spa: 3 Nights with Air, FREE Convertible or Luxury Car Rental, daily breakfast for 2 & more!
- Enjoy a personal Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- Aloha Special Reduced Rates starting at $149/night
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental