Torch Lighting in Waikiki
Every city has its signature attractions. One of Honolulu's best is the tradition of torch-lighting ceremonies that occurs every evening throughout Waikiki. Less ceremony than ritual, what you'll see is a half-clothed, brown-skinned man running down the street, or on your hotel grounds, with a stick of fire in hishand. His job is to light the torches.
You can witness that scene at sunset each evening when the torches are lit at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. At the Ilikai Hotel, a conch shell blower adds an ancient echo to the scene. At Kuhio Beach Park, the nightly hula pageant begins with a torch-lighting ceremony and the call of a conch shell. The free show begins at 6 p.m. from November to January and at 6:30 p.m. the remainder of the year.
The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center hosts the lighting of 50 torches on Lewers Street and Kalakaua Avenue every night at 6 p.m. The Changing of the King's Guard is held nightly at 6:15 p.m. at King's Village Shopping Center, across from the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. At Kapiolani Park Beach Center at 6:45 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, you can hear a conch shell blower heralding torch lighting. Several hotels also stage regular torch lighting events.
|Beaches on Oahu||Have Lunch at a Historic Hotel|
|Living the "Hy" Life||Top Photo Spots on Oahu|
|U.S. Army Museum|
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Save up to 40% plus complimentary breakfast at Starwood Resorts in Hawaii!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and 'Jurassic Park Falls' views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- $539+ Hawaii Winter Vacation Sale: 3 nights with air!
- $835+ - The Royal Hawaiian - A Luxury Collection Resort: 3 nights w/Air and FREE one-category Hertz Rental Upgrade. Kids 17 & under stay FREE.
- You must do a LUAU! Fire knife dancers, hula dancers, mai tais, lots of food, and more! Pick one here.
- Exceptionally spacious rooms in Central Waikiki at Aqua Waikiki Pearl - $97
- Experience the REAL Hawaii with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters. Tours from $149
- Hawaiian Sand & Surf Package - make the most of the water!
- Soar over the Oahu coast on a Parasailing adventure.
- Discount Hawaii Car Rental - guaranteed reservations, no deposit, cancel anytime.
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Oahu horseback riding adventures from $39!
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers