Torch Lighting in Waikiki
Every city has its signature attractions. One of Honolulu's best is the tradition of torch-lighting ceremonies that occurs every evening throughout Waikiki. Less ceremony than ritual, what you'll see is a half-clothed, brown-skinned man running down the street, or on your hotel grounds, with a stick of fire in hishand. His job is to light the torches.
You can witness that scene at sunset each evening when the torches are lit at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. At the Ilikai Hotel, a conch shell blower adds an ancient echo to the scene. At Kuhio Beach Park, the nightly hula pageant begins with a torch-lighting ceremony and the call of a conch shell. The free show begins at 6 p.m. from November to January and at 6:30 p.m. the remainder of the year.
The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center hosts the lighting of 50 torches on Lewers Street and Kalakaua Avenue every night at 6 p.m. The Changing of the King's Guard is held nightly at 6:15 p.m. at King's Village Shopping Center, across from the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. At Kapiolani Park Beach Center at 6:45 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, you can hear a conch shell blower heralding torch lighting. Several hotels also stage regular torch lighting events.
|Beaches on Oahu||Have Lunch at a Historic Hotel|
|Living the "Hy" Life||Top Photo Spots on Oahu|
|U.S. Army Museum|
- 50% OFF – 7-Day Maui & Kauai Condo Spring Sale
- Swim with dolphins without the crowds!
- $639+ Hawaii Vacations with Air & Car
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
- Aqua Lotus, incl. evening wine service, cruiser bikes, yoga, and more - $199
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Wave
- Soundproof rooms, Jacuzzi tubs, continental breakfast and more at Aqua Waikiki Joy Hotel - $132
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Waikiki's leading eco-friendly boutique hotel, discover an oasis of calm at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
- From $1,175 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Kauai Vacation w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- From $1,155 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Maui Package w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- From $1365 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Contemporary boutique hotel 1 block from Waikiki Beach, Aqua Palms Waikiki
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers