Torch Lighting in Waikiki
Every city has its signature attractions. One of Honolulu's best is the tradition of torch-lighting ceremonies that occurs every evening throughout Waikiki. Less ceremony than ritual, what you'll see is a half-clothed, brown-skinned man running down the street, or on your hotel grounds, with a stick of fire in hishand. His job is to light the torches.
You can witness that scene at sunset each evening when the torches are lit at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. At the Ilikai Hotel, a conch shell blower adds an ancient echo to the scene. At Kuhio Beach Park, the nightly hula pageant begins with a torch-lighting ceremony and the call of a conch shell. The free show begins at 6 p.m. from November to January and at 6:30 p.m. the remainder of the year.
The Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center hosts the lighting of 50 torches on Lewers Street and Kalakaua Avenue every night at 6 p.m. The Changing of the King's Guard is held nightly at 6:15 p.m. at King's Village Shopping Center, across from the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. At Kapiolani Park Beach Center at 6:45 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, you can hear a conch shell blower heralding torch lighting. Several hotels also stage regular torch lighting events.
|Beaches on Oahu||Have Lunch at a Historic Hotel|
|Living the "Hy" Life||Top Photo Spots on Oahu|
|U.S. Army Museum|
- Come be a part of history – VIP access is only the beginning
- Hawaii 3 nights w/ Air – FREE fullsize Car PLUS save up to $100!
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Volcano Value Rates at Royal Kona Resort from $129
- $715+ Hilton Hawaiian Village® Waikiki Beach Resort: 3 Nights with Air. FREE fullsize car rental, $100 off PLUS kids 18 & under stay FREE!
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort - $249
- Save up to 50% on your car rental with major USA car companies - Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- Iconic Waikiki vistas & vintage hospitality at the Aqua Ilikai Hotel and Suites - $158
- From $1,018 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Kauai Vacation w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- Embassy Suites Waikiki Beach Walk - $289
- Hilton Waikiki Beach - $170
- From $1,093 - 8 Nt. Oahu & Maui Package w/Air, Hotel, Transfer & Taxes
- Breathtaking views at Honolulu's tallest hotel, Aqua Skyline at Island Colony - just $89
- Swim with Dolphins without the crowds!
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers