Happy in Haleiwa
By Ali Resich
People travel from all over the world for a taste of country living in historic Haleiwa town, located on the North Shore of Oahu. It maybe a surfer seeking to ride a wave at any of the numerous world-class surf spots found along the coast, or an art enthusiast wanting to dive into a cultural hub. And nobody's trip to Haleiwa is complete without a stop at Matsumoto's or Aoki's for a classic shave ice. But the seemingly quaint surf town is actually rich in plantation era history that lives on through its old-fashioned ambiance. A preserved piece of the past comes together with a colorfully thriving community to make Haleiwa a must-see destination.
The picturesque town's main street, filled with early 20th century architecture and nestled against the backdrop of majestic Kaena Point, exudes the kind of charm that seems to only exist in movies. "I see a double rainbow almost every weekend," says artist and wax chandler Scott Bechtol, who runs The Iwa Gallery in the center of town.
His is one of many vibrant galleries, all of which display local artists' work. "Appreciating nature and its beauty is a community view that's reflected in the art," says Wyland Gallery Haleiwa's senior art consultant Matt Maletta.
This is no surprise, as the area's gorgeous setting is impossible to ignore. Hawaiian Green Sea Turtles, or honu, are often found basking in the sand at beautiful Laniakea Beach (also known as "Turtle Beach"). In fact, there are many ways to soak up the outdoors while in Haleiwa, like renting jet skis for the adventure seeker or trying your hand at kayaking and stand up paddle boarding for a day of family fun.
Locals and tourists alike also love to escape from the excitement of Waikiki to a haven of quiet boutiques, surf shops and laid back restaurants. The host of food trucks scattered about are just as popular, selling favorites like fresh shrimp from nearby town, Kahuku. And there's one local snack that Haleiwa residents, especially kids, can't live without — Ken Terukina's pickled mango. The lifelong Haleiwa resident has been selling the refreshingly sweet snack from his house for 15 years and counting (just follow the "pickled mango" sign at the foot of the stop sign past Anahulu Stream Bridge).
There is no place on Oahu quite like distinguished Haleiwa. With a firm grasp on its roots, the friendly town continues to gleam with life and is the perfect place to spend the day.
Other Haleiwa Highlights:
• North Shore Chamber of Commerce Building — A restored, 1924 plantation-style cottage that now serves as an office and visitor center.
• Anahulu Stream Bridge — Commonly known as "Rainbow Bridge," this overpass is a Haleiwa landmark.
• Opal Thai Food — Located in Haleiwa Town Center, this food-truck-turned-restaurant is a delicious example of Haleiwa's diverse eats.
• Lokoea pond — This 17th century fish pond built by Hawaiians predates the town itself and remains a tie to the North Shore's past.
• Haleiwa Beach Park — Enjoy stunning views overlooking Kaena Point, the northwest tip of Oahu.
- $785+ Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach: 3 nights with air. No Resort Fee, internet access PLUS kids 17 and younger stay FREE. Book now!
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Pearl
- Waikiki's leading eco-friendly boutique hotel, discover an oasis of calm at Aqua Bamboo Waikiki
- Park Shore Waikiki offers you beachfront location without the beachfront prices!
- From $1,029 - Oahu & Maui Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Be a Dolphin Trainer for a Day with Dolphin Quest Hawaii!
- Courtyard Marriott - Get 20% Off* when you book and pay at least 14 days in advance! Book Early, Save Big.
- Free additional driver with Discount Hawaii Car Rental
- From $1,069 - Island Hopping: Big Island & Oahu, 6 Nights w/Air, Hotel, Transfers & Daily Breakfast
- 20% Off at Aqua Waikiki Wave
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4 night Best of the Beach package just $1385
- Touch, swim with, or even KISS a dolphin!
- $609+ Hawaii Vacations with Air and FREE rental car or transfers
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- SAVE Manta Ray Snorkel or World’s Only Glass Bottom Manta Watch @ BlueSeaCruisesInc.com 2 Manta tours
- Kaanapali Beach Hotel - 4-night Romance Package just $1709