This district on the windward side of Oahu includes Punalu'u and its neighbors, and is a wonderful area to explore. Historical landmarks and remnants from ancient Hawaiians, early settlers and WW II can offer a fascinating day of discovery.
Kahana Valley State Park was created to preserve traditionalHawaiian culture and is cared for by a community of resident Hawaiian families using traditional practices and values. The fishpond, dated between 1400 ad 1600 A.D., was designated a national historic landmark in 1962 and is home to salt- and freshwater fish. Opposite the fishpond on Kahana Bay's northern shore is Kapa'ele'ele Ko'a, a fishing shrine where Hawaiians performed ceremonies and made offerings to ensure good catches.
An easy family hike is the Koa & Kilo trail, a 1.2-mile loop that climbs 150 feet from the visitor center. The first part of the trail follows that of the former Koolau Railway past the fishing shrine and the lookout to stunning views of Kahana Bay. A round trip takes about an hour.
Kahana's Nakoa trail heads deep into the valley, a five-mile round trip through fragrant ginger groves and guava trees, crosses Kahana Stream at a swimming hole and has a short diversion to the concrete bunkers. Nakoa is a grand hike for those who love botany and easy, flat trails. Bring mosquito repellent. Hikers might also check out the Hau'ula Loop Trail and Ma'akua Gulch Trail. Both are accessed from Hau'ula Homestead Road.
Stop by Kahana Bay, Punalu'u and Hau'ula, the largest beaches in the area. There are plenty of places in between in which to rest, picnic, cast a line or just enjoy the view
- information courtesy of Chris Oliver, The Honolulu Advertiser
- To truly experience Hawaii, you must see it from above! Blue Hawaiian Helicopter tours from $149
- Touch, Swim with, and even Kiss a Dolphin!
- Make a Play Date with a Dolphin at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Soar over the Oahu coast on a Parasailing adventure.
- $965+ Moana Surfrider - A Westin Resort & Spa: 3 nights w/air and FREE Hertz Convertible, Minivan, Jeep or SUV!
- Don't leave Hawaii without trying surfing - lessons for all skill levels.
- Hawaii Adventure Pass - make the most of the sun & sand with this package.
- Kids Aquatic Adventure at Dolphin Quest Oahu from $275
- $769+ Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa: 3 nights w/Air. Get 40% off rack rates, 2-for-1 breakfast, FREE upgrade when you book a Hertz car & more.
- Make some new friends at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- $785+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and "Jurassic Park Falls" views with Blue Hawaiian Helicopters!
- 5th Night FREE at Maui and Kauai condos. Book Now!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!
- Secluded Maui beach resort, free car, dining credits & more