2012 Na Hoku Hanohano Award winners
BY JOHN BERGER / firstname.lastname@example.org
Hawai‘i Academy of Recording Arts (HARA) announced the winners of the 2012 Na Hoku Hanohano Awards in the Kalakaua Ballroom of the Hawai‘i Convention Center on Sunday.
Album of the Year
“Kuanaloa,” Kuana Torres Kahele (Kuana Torres Kahele) Kuana Torres Kahele and Dave Tucciarone, producers
Anthology Album of the Year (producers award)
“Kekumuwai,” Pandanus Club (Makuakane) Kenneth Makuakane, Chris Kealiiaa and Tasha Tavares-Makuakane, producers
Compilation Album of the Year (producers award)
“Ho‘ala Iapana,” Various Artists Dave Tucciarone, producer
Contemporary Album of the Year
“Rising In Love,” Lehua Kalima (Kalima)
Wendell Ching, Carl Noa and Matthew Honda for “Self Titled,” Hot Rain (Afflatus)
EP (Extended Play) of the Year
“Na Mele O Ioane Keanaaina,” John Ioane Keanaaina, Jr. (no label)
Favorite Entertainer of the Year
Female Vocalist of the Year
Natalie Ai Kamauu, “‘A” (Keko)
Kuhao Zane and Kamele Eskaran, for “Kaunaloa,” Kuana Torres Kahele (Kuana Torres Kahele)
Group of the Year
Waipuna, “E Ho‘i Mai” (Poki)
Haku Mele (Composers award)
“Ku’u Hoa Hi’ikua,” by Kalehua Krug, from “Aia I Hi’ialo,” Hi’ikua (Hi’ikua)
Hawaiian Album of the Year
“Kaunaloa,” Kuana Torres Kahele (Kuana Torres Kahele)
Hawaiian Language Performance
“Hula,” Robert Cazimero (Mountain Apple)
Hip-Hop Album of the Year
“Illnomadic,” Navid Najafi (‘Aumakua)
Instrumental Album of the Year
“Peace Love Ukulele,” Jake Shimabukuro (Hitchhike)
International Album of the Year
“‘Ohana,” Kaulana (Kaulana)
Island Music Album of the Year
“E Ho‘i Mai,” Waipuna (Poki)
Jazz Album of the Year (TIE)
“Salt,” Starr Kalahiki (Kipuka)?“Ukulele Jazz Live in Concert Hilo, Hawaii,” Benny Chong (no label)
Kuana Torres Kahele, for “Kaunaloa,” Kuana Torres Kahele (Kuana Torres Kahele)
Male Vocalist of the Year
Kuana Torres Kahele, “Kaunaloa” (Kuana Torres Kahele)
Most Promising Artist
Starr Kalahiki, “Salt” (Kipuka)
Reggae Album of the Year
“Simply For Love,” Ekolu (Waiehu)
Religious Album of the Year
“Chucky Boy Chock and Friends,” Chucky Boy Chock (New Song Music)
Rock Album of the Year
“Warehouse Blues,” Willie K (Maui Tribe)
Single of the Year
“‘Ainahau,” Waipuna (Poki)
Slack Key Album of the Year
“Waimaka Helelei,” Dennis Kamakahi and Stephen Inglis (‘Aumakua)
Song of the Year (composer’s award)
“Na Vaqueros” by Kuana Torres Kahele, from “Kaunaloa,” Kuana Torres Kahele (Kuana Torres Kahele)
Ki Ho’alu Foundation Legacy Award
Moe Keale “Aloha Is” Award for Community Service
Steel Guitar Legacy Award
The Tau Moe Family
[Note: The winners in most categories are determined by the HARA membership; four categories are adjudicated. The recipients of three associated awards are determined by outside groups but presented as part of the Hoku Awards. The winner of Favorite Artist is determined by public vote].
- Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel - $193
- From $945 - Oahu & Kauai Island Hopping 6 Nights Incl. Air, Transfers & Daily Breakfast. Choose your favorite hotel for your stay!
- Whale Watch Package - from the land and from the sea!
- $1,015+ The Royal Hawaiian - A Luxury Collection Resort: 3 nights w/air and FREE Hertz Convertible, Minivan, Jeep or SUV!
- Oahu kayaking tours!
- Aston at the Executive Centre - $177
- From $1,545 - 9 Nights Island Hopping: Oahu, Kauai & Maui w/Air, Hotel & Breakfast. Spend 3 Nights in each island.
- Vacation Memory of a Lifetime: Family Swim at Dolphin Quest Hawaii or Oahu
- Oahu sportfishing tours
- Oahu sightseeing tours - let someone else do the driving.
Hawaiian Airlines: Special Offers
- Find your flippers… dive into great deals on Hawaii packages, hotels and cruises!
- $775+ Hawaii Trips w/Air & FREE Convertible, SUV or Minivan
- Royal Experience Package at Royal Kona Resort from $229/nt
- Na Pali Coast, Waimea Canyon, and
- Splash into Summer at Aston Hotels from $99!
- Save 25% on your Maui Condo when you add a car to your reservation!
- Over 35 Oahu attractions & activities, 1 LOW PRICE! Save up to 55% now!